Is it just me but I don't see a good reason to update to 1.1 ??

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
My NC does everything I want and need it to do....
I can read my books both kindle and B&N and library. I have Pandora to listen to, Sling Adapter to watch live TV, K-9 mail to get my other than gmail , games of all sorts, news sites and newspapers....... photos viewer ( still haven't figured out the video stuff yet ).... am I missing something ??

I would enjoy Netflix if it ever comes to android but minus that am I missing something ????:confused:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
In all seriousness, it's up to you and if your NC does all you want it to do, skip the update. There is a small performance increase and a handful of small bug fixes. I believe the next b&n update will be a big one.

jdog

Jan 26, 2011
In all seriousness, it's up to you and if your NC does all you want it to do, skip the update. There is a small performance increase and a handful of small bug fixes. I believe the next b&n update will be a big one.
Any rumors on when the next one will show up? I guess I better go check out that "disable updates" thread....I'd hate to have all my hard work undone by an unexpected update.

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Thanks... I think you are absolutely right.... will wait for the 'BIG ONE' and enjoy the pleasure of ownership and all the neat stuff my NC provides for my entertainment !

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
A B&N rep told me that the device would be getting froyo and google market as stock in March. But who know's. We will probably have custom roms based on Gingerbread by them, which is a step ahead of froyo.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
My NC does everything I want and need it to do....
I can read my books both kindle and B&N and library. I have Pandora to listen to, Sling Adapter to watch live TV, K-9 mail to get my other than gmail , games of all sorts, news sites and newspapers....... photos viewer ( still haven't figured out the video stuff yet ).... am I missing something ??

I would enjoy Netflix if it ever comes to android but minus that am I missing something ????:confused:

Crenita, Just a couple thoughts on your list:

Pandora - Consider getting Doubletwist? It's a full-blown internet radio app.. Any genre you can imagine, and many you probably can't.. Totally free, unless you want the fancy version.

K-9 Mail - Consider getting Touchdown. It's as close to Outlook as I've found. Looks like it, works like it. Not free, but awesome.

Video stuff - I use the original Nook Color menu for that. Load a compatible movie on your mSD card, hit the big arrow in the middle, go to library > myfiles > mSD card, find your movie and bam, you're watching. I've yet to find a better player.

And I agree, I see no reason to update at this time. B&N has been holding the carrot of a new version out there since before Christmas. Everytime I hear it, it's pushed back another month. Forget it. I'm thrilled with my NC as it sits, so they can keep their updates.

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the recommendation of Doubltwist.. I had totally forgotten it.... in fact I purchased the Doubletwist Air syn on the first day they put that app for $.99 but never got into......Now it is up to $4.99 ..got a bargain.

. Now I find it lets me syn all my photo's, music and VIDEOS..WIRELESSLY

... it even converts the video to put on the NC and my Droid as well....n I had taken some video last summer and it looks GREAT on the NC. also converted some WMP short videos I did just for kicks... I remeber using just the free version of Doublestwist to convert video with the direct connection... works well that way as well.
......... ...Thank YOU for triggering that use .. it works so easily.. Even lets you sync my itunes as well...

Last edited:

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
Actually, the update is not optional in the sense that you can just choose to say no. You have to be proactive & block the update, or keep WiFi off. I chose to update to 1.1 & then use Auto-Nooter 3.0 to reroot because it seemed more logical that blocking the update. You have to do one or the other in order to use WiFi & not have B&N break your root.

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
I was told the exact opposite on the android site... something about the update would have to be sideloaded and would NOT auto install.... Now I am confused ....

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
The update may auto install when your nook goes to sleep, but if you have clockwork recovery there is no need to worry. Also if you do get the update one can always re-root. I am on 1.0.1 with clockwork and I have renamed the otacerts file and I have not recieved an over the air update yet.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Pinch to zoom in the browser is in 1.1--that made the upgrade worth it to me.

I said the same thing, but then remembered that I didn't really like the default browser and installed Opera Mobile - and pinch to zoom works (and I am still on B&N 1.0.0) so I held off.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I said the same thing, but then remembered that I didn't really like the default browser and installed Opera Mobile - and pinch to zoom works (and I am still on B&N 1.0.0) so I held off.

faceman, I haven't updated to 1.1 yet so I am not sure about those changes but I can say that 1.0.1 is better than 1.0.0. I am not sure how much of a difference it makes given that you are rooted and overclocked, but you should probably do yourself the favor of updating to 1.0.1 at least. Especially so if you use the B&N launcher in any way at all (books, magazines etc.).