Is it possible to deactivate the default mail-client Mail / Gmail?

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
Is it possible to deactivate the default mail-client Mail / Gmail? I do not need it, I will use K-9, which is not installed at the moment. With my last installations I put these 2 apps in quarantaine with Titanium Backup, but for a while I do not want to put anything in quarantaine, because I am searching for a hard to understand wifi-problem. Maybe it's gone. Since a complete new install I din't notice it, but it is too early to be sure. The tablet has to be in standbye for a longer time, to test it.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If you delete any accounts in the 2 apps they will become dormant. You could certainly remove the shortcuts.

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
I don't want to delete my gmail-account and AFAIK I couldn't. Especially I want no symbol in the task bar at the bottom and no syncing, because the connection is not secure. This stupid mail client cannot handle SSL.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I was referring to the account in the mail, app, not the account on the tablet, just to be clear. If you go to settings - account and long presss the Google account you can select what will and will not be synced.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
If you have ICS or JB you should be able to disable them:

Settings - Apps - All - Gmail - Disable (Or Uninstall Updates then Disable)

It will be at the bottom of the All list if you want it back.

Repeat for the Mail/Email app.

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
I was referring to the account in the mail, app, not the account on the tablet, just to be clear. If you go to settings - account and long presss the Google account you can select what will and will not be synced.

Thanks, for explaining this. I deactivated it, rebooted and I still see at the lower right bottom the "M".

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
If you have ICS or JB you should be able to disable them:

Settings - Apps - All - Gmail - Disable (Or Uninstall Updates then Disable)

It will be at the bottom of the All list if you want it back.

Repeat for the Mail/Email app.

It looks like it is the same feature as "quarantaine" with other apps, like Titanium Backup or SDMaid

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Did you clear the notifications? Usually that M simply means you have unread Gmail. Clear notifications or read the mail and it should go away. Then if the app is disabled it shouldn't come back.

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
The play store requires a gmail account, so you'll have to find another way to install apps,. you don't have to use gmail , just do not put a gmail account in when asked. Android is heavy synced with your gmail account, all your contacts, reader, talk and many other apps sync with your gmail account,

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The play store requires a gmail account, so you'll have to find another way to install apps,. you don't have to use gmail , just do not put a gmail account in when asked. Android is heavy synced with your gmail account, all your contacts, reader, talk and many other apps sync with your gmail account,

I don't think the issue is disabling the Gmail account, just the mail app. You do not need the use the mail app for any of the other Gmail account related stuff to work.

JP

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Don't totally understand your message

All you need to do is just remove all gmail accounts from syncing, under acoounts in settings, just uncheck all Google APS from syncing, but a gmail account is required for the play store

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Go to Settings - Accounts - Google - and uncheck all the apps (mail, calendar, contacts, Picasa, G+, etc.$