Is it possible to root the a500 after the 3.2 upgrade and is worth doing so?

cslo

Oct 21, 2011
Rooting allows you to remove/add/edit files in the system folders. For example, to get the tablet to recognize adhoc hotspots, you need to swap out the wpa_supplicant file in \system\bin folder with a version of this file that has been modified to recognize such hotspots. These kinds of actions cannot be done on a unrooted tablet. Of course, being able to do these actions is a doubled edge sword as you can easily brick your tablet.<br>
<br>
Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum
I rooted and replaced the supplicant file under 3.1, and happily, this update didn't remove that file, so no need to re-root right now.

So anyone considering a downgrade to do the supplicant fix and then a custom rom, you don't need the custom rom if all you care about is the supplicant fix.

Can't wait for android 4.0, just reading about it on the android developer site, looks like p2p will be built in now. :)

ellandry

Sep 26, 2011
When is Android 4.0 expected for the a500?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Well no wifi hotspot option for me since my blackberry torch doesn't support the option. I could do it via Bluetooth however I would need to root I believe.

I just saw in one of the other threads that there maybe a solution to hot spotting with blackberry. It is one of those threads on the first page of the A500 forum - sorry I can't remember much more - and from what I remember you won't need to root your tab.

At least you can hot spot with blackberry - I got a nokia n97 mini which won't give me that option at all. If I wanted to I would have to root my tab.