Is it possible to root the MID9740-8

brianpetty80

Nov 9, 2012
I cannot seems to get the 9742 root method to work. I would like to install a custom ROM if possible but at this time I am more than willing to settle for just root access and then see if I can figure out the gapps. Please help!!

Thanks so much for any feedback

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Details?

Seriously, if you expect anyone to help you, you cannot just say, "I cannot seem to get the 9742 root method to work." You need to tell everyone exactly what steps you have taken to get you to this point, and also need to tell everyone what kind of responses you are getting.

None of us are mind readers, and this type of post with no details in it is a waste of our time, and yours.

brianpetty80

Nov 9, 2012
Details?

Seriously, if you expect anyone to help you, you cannot just say, "I cannot seem to get the 9742 root method to work." You need to tell everyone exactly what steps you have taken to get you to this point, and also need to tell everyone what kind of responses you are getting.

None of us are mind readers, and this type of post with no details in it is a waste of our time, and yours.

Ok. Trying to complete the method stated by using Live Suite to load a custom ROM inside the upgrade mode. To post the instructions I am going by:

This isn't much, just a slight modification of the stock firmware with root, Google Play, and a few other changes.

WARNING:
This firmware was tested on a Novo 7 Elf and it worked fine, but you are solely responsible for its use.
If it bricks your tablet you've been warned.

Features:
- Gapps + Google Play fix
- Rooted
- NetworkLocation service fixed (to pinpoint your location in apps like Google Maps)
- Deodexed for easier modding/theming
- Samsung Galaxy tab fingerprint for better app compatibility

Downloads:
Version 0.1:
cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.zip

Flashing instructions:
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

Windows 7 64-Bit users: it has been reported that you must use LiveSuite 1.0.7
LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar

Thanks to all who posted firmware dumps and tested in this thread
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...3-devices.html

Discussion is also taking place in this thread:
http://www.flashmyandroid.com/forum/...=5327#post5327

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't get the device to go into upgrade mode first off like stated in this Post. The only way I can think to do this is to go into the upgrade mode inside system recovery however I doubt that would work because when I do this with the tablet hooked up to the computer with LIVE SUITE running I get no response from the live suite program.

so problems by steps are

1. I cannot get the device into upgrade mode as stated here that will work for the 9742.
2. I cannot get the LIVE SUITE program to recognize the tablet to even begin to load the custom ROM.

I have plenty of experience with rooting Android devices so I think I should be able to keep up if there are any directions that I can be pointed here. I hope this helps more than the cryptic post before.

Thanks so much

Last edited by a moderator:

brianpetty80

Nov 9, 2012
Ok. Trying to complete the method stated by using Live Suite to load a custom ROM inside the upgrade mode. To post the instructions I am going by:

This isn't much, just a slight modification of the stock firmware with root, Google Play, and a few other changes.

WARNING:
This firmware was tested on a Novo 7 Elf and it worked fine, but you are solely responsible for its use.
If it bricks your tablet you've been warned.

Features:
- Gapps + Google Play fix
- Rooted
- NetworkLocation service fixed (to pinpoint your location in apps like Google Maps)
- Deodexed for easier modding/theming
- Samsung Galaxy tab fingerprint for better app compatibility

Downloads:
Version 0.1:
cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.zip

Flashing instructions:
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

Windows 7 64-Bit users: it has been reported that you must use LiveSuite 1.0.7
LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar

Thanks to all who posted firmware dumps and tested in this thread
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...3-devices.html

Discussion is also taking place in this thread:
http://www.flashmyandroid.com/forum/...=5327#post5327

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't get the device to go into upgrade mode first off like stated in this Post. The only way I can think to do this is to go into the upgrade mode inside system recovery however I doubt that would work because when I do this with the tablet hooked up to the computer with LIVE SUITE running I get no response from the live suite program.

so problems by steps are

1. I cannot get the device into upgrade mode as stated here that will work for the 9742.
2. I cannot get the LIVE SUITE program to recognize the tablet to even begin to load the custom ROM.

I have plenty of experience with rooting Android devices so I think I should be able to keep up if there are any directions that I can be pointed here. I hope this helps more than the cryptic post before.

Thanks so much

SO I just recognized that I just posted the thread for the wrong tablet, however this thread, which is the right one : http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...yros-9742-rooted-deodexed-google-play-12.html , read much the same process and gives me the same problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Well your first problem is that you're trying to use Livesuite to put Google Play on the tablet. DON'T! You'll brick your tablet.

Use the tools I made available in the sticky posts (marked READ FIRST) at the top of the Generation 3 Development forum instead, if you're running Windows. Those methods are far better than using Livesuite.

Last edited:

brianpetty80

Nov 9, 2012
Well your first problem is that you're trying to use Livesuite to put Google Play on the tablet. DON'T! You'll brick your tablet.

Use the tools I made available in the sticky posts (marked READ FIRST) at the top of the Generation 3 Development forum instead, if you're running Windows. Those methods are far better than using Livesuite.

Ok thanks so much for this. I was able to get root, CWM recovery and installed this ROM : Mobiz V2 for 9742 by Vampirefo

However now the screen is inverted and the axis is wrong. I have researched and found that this is a known issue and requires updated drivers. I have tries to push these drivers as referenced in this Thread:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/40568-9742-mbr-problems-such-post-here-10.html on page 10. I cannot get the files to push however, is there another way to do this or maybe a ROM that already has this done?

Thanks

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
That's a known problem with the Mobiz ROM. Vampirefo I believe is working to try and fix it. However, I do hope you followed the OTHER advice I gave in that thread and made a system dump, a nandroid backup, or both before installing the Mobiz ROM. If you did, then go back to stock and do the following:

1. Install the Google apps using a Google apps flashable zip at Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps.
  2. Install the fixes I give in my signature. They will improve Play Store compatibility as well as activate the network location service (needed for Google Earth to run).
  3. Once you know everything is up and running correctly, go into ClockworkMod and do a nandroid backup.

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
edit:
I cannot seems to get the 9742 root method to work. I would like to install a custom ROM if possible but at this time I am more than willing to settle for just root access and then see if I can figure out the gapps. Please help!!

Thanks so much for any feedback
Did you ever make a system dump (even a partial without system.tgz) or a nandroid backup?

Last edited: