Is it possible to upgrade from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich?

Mar 20, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of getting a tablet PC for my boyfriend's birthday and I need some advice. I googled everywhere and searched within this website too but I can't seem to find the answer I am looking for.

I have never owned a tablet PC myself so please go easy on me!

This is the product I am thinking of purchasing.

NATPC M009S 8GB Capacitive , 7" , 1.6 GHz Super Slim: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

On this, it says the operating system is 2.3. However, I saw this product on another website and they were selling the same product but with operating system 4. The problem is, the seller on the latter product had bad reviews so I really don't want to purchase from him.

Is it easy to upgrade the operating system? Or will I have to take it to the local PC store?

I have a semi-advanced knowledge on PCs if that helps.

Also, slightly off-topic. I have noticed something about android markets being based in different countries, and it seems to be causing problems to some uk customers who wants to download uk-only product such as kindle.

How do you know which country it will be based in? Or can you re-set the location to UK yourself?

I am sorry if these are really dumb questions!

Thank you for your help.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi there. Good questions and I suggest using the search and reading some of the various threads on this forum. You will gain a lot of tablet knowledge that way so you can make an informed decision. Android OS updates are hardware specific, so you can't just update from one Android to another. The tablet maker or developers for the tablet have to make a specific version of Android for that device before you can upgrade.

It sounds like Android 4.0 might be available for this device if somebody else is advertising it. However, since they seem shady maybe it isn't really available. Try Google searching the device and see if 4.0 is really out for it. If so then it should be upgradeable. For the market, it is hard to say. Again, this depends on what the tablet ships with. If it ships with no market or a Chinese market you may be out of luck. Again, search for the specific tablet and see what people are reporting in reviews about the market. It may be possible to add a market for your region but it may not be an easy thing to do.

Generally speaking see if there is a user and development community for the tablet. See if there are mentions of rooting or custom ROMs, market updates and a general sense that the tablet has users and supporters you should be ok. If you can't really find anything about the tablet you are running the risk that it can't be updated or have the market fixed for your location.

Mar 20, 2012
Dear J515op,

Thank you for your reply!

It was really easy to understand and filled me with more ideas for ways to research :)

You are right about the shady seller. If he's the only one selling the product with OS4, then it's probably not true.

Regarding the android market, I asked the seller about it and he said it shouldn't be a problem so fingers crossed!

Thank you again. x

frogman23

Mar 26, 2012
Dear J515op,

Thank you for your reply!

It was really easy to understand and filled me with more ideas for ways to research :)

You are right about the shady seller. If he's the only one selling the product with OS4, then it's probably not true.

Regarding the android market, I asked the seller about it and he said it shouldn't be a problem so fingers crossed!

Thank you again. x

The tablet you're thinking of buying is now available with ICS on Amazon.co.uk - from market place seller WendyLou who, from the reviews, seems to have an excellent reputation.

I'm hoping to take the plunge and buy one shortly.

Iain