Is jelly bean for A2109 actually slower than ICS?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Has anyone with the power drain tried safe mode?

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/lenovo-ideatab-a2109/53632-how-access-safe-mode.html

It would be interesting to see if you are still getting the problem with no 3rd party apps running. So full charge, boot to safe mode, and turn off wifi and see how much the battery drain is overnight. I don't have the problem so I can't test this.

Yes they would as I already posted the cause of the drain. just install droidwall configure it, set it up to log, and one can see what is draining their battery.

google play services attempts to connect to 173.194.76.188 over and over until it succeeds

Last edited:

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
Yes they would as I already posted the cause of the drain. just install droidwall configure it, set it up to log, and one can see what is draining their battery.

google play services attempts to connect to 173.194.76.188 over and over until it succeeds
But does it do that only after something (like a 3rd party app) triggers the behavior? There must be some reason that only a few people get the error.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
But does it do that only after something (like a 3rd party app) triggers the behavior? There must be some reason that only a few people get the error.

There is no error that I know of, and as far as I know it effects everyone on JB.

geno51

Jan 15, 2013
Yes, awesome indeed.

Ok here is the solution and you can pm me the 6 pack. Why don't you just leave the wifi on? I leave mine on 24/7 and the battery is good. Is there a reason the wifi can not be left on, it goes to sleep on its own after a couple minutes by design.
I do not know how you have this wired in but you can surely find a 5-7v 2 amp constant current supply for the tablet. That way it charges at all times and can never run down.

Also as an aside, I have left my wifi turned off for days and do not have this problem. I am running JB factory with root and bootloader. I wonder what the common factor is between the tablets that have this issue?

No beer for you as the tablet is wifi hotspottd to my phone when I am driving and when I have to park my truck at the office far away from wifi It kills the battery over the day. I need to be able to kill the tablets wifi and bluetooth using tasker

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
I have left my tablet with wifi on overnight with no wifi available for it to connect to and battery drain was minimal. I did the same thing with wifi off and got the same result. Leaving wifi on with wifi available drains a little more but still not much. I charge nearly every night mostly out of habit and only rarely out of necessity. Screen time is the big culprit for me; if I let my son play Galaxy On Fire, and it will need a charge.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
Well looks like Airplane mode works the best, for the battery drain.
I should have been more specific. Airplane mode is what I tested. I use power widgets and didn't see the need for having wifi as a separate option always on the home screen.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
OK here's something I wonder about.
When I get my A2109 here in a few weeks now instead of a few months YEA!!!!!
And it has ICS on it at least it's suppose to Is there anyway to:

#1. Allow it to fully upgrade ICS Out Of The Box without it just jumping right into the JB Upgrade.

#2. And if so is there anyway to tell what upgrade is what so I don't by accident upgrade to JB?

#3. Or should I just block the upgrade process before hooking to the Web, And wait for a better version of JB to come out?

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Hello!

So i adored rooted ICS, and when I saw jb I updated anyways via ota. Not the best experience in comparison, so I tried mcl's and inverted jb, had the same problems. Here is my list:
3. Lenovo's launcher on ics had about 20 different transitions to choose. Where did they go in jb? You cant set the transition at all

You are talking about Launcher Transitions here, What do you mean by this?
At the moment I'm using an Iconia A500 and have "NEVER" heard of this...
Is this something common to the Android OS?
Or just something specific to Lenovo Brand of Tablets?
How do you set them?

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
It takes action on your part to upgrade. It isn't automatic. If yours comes with ICS you have to go into the settings and choose to upgrade. I am happy that I upgraded, BTW. Some new ones are now shipping with JB

OK here's something I wonder about.
When I get my A2109 here in a few weeks now instead of a few months YEA!!!!!
And it has ICS on it at least it's suppose to Is there anyway to:

#1. Allow it to fully upgrade ICS Out Of The Box without it just jumping right into the JB Upgrade.

#2. And if so is there anyway to tell what upgrade is what so I don't by accident upgrade to JB?

#3. Or should I just block the upgrade process before hooking to the Web, And wait for a better version of JB to come out?

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
It takes action on your part to upgrade. It isn't automatic. If yours comes with ICS you have to go into the settings and choose to upgrade. I am happy that I upgraded, BTW. Some new ones are now shipping with JB

I take it then your not having the problems that some of the others here have been having?
And I also take it your running the stock rom?

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
Stock rom updated the standard supported way. I am not having problems and have seen a definite increase in the video playback speed, which is consistent with most published benchmarks. I thought I was not getting the battery drain, but I think I tested it wrong. I normally leave the wifi on overnight so I don't have the problem in standard use. With wifi on all day and only occasionally turning the screen on, the majority of battery use is still the screen, by a wide margin. I think leaving wifi on is a very reasonable work around. I have wifi pretty much everywhere I go anyway.