Is the PlayBook Doomed?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
$playbook.png
After shipping 500,000 initial units of the RIMM Playbook in the first quarter of its release, last quarter only 200,000 where sent out. So instead of gaining market share and interest, it appears that the Playbook may be next on the chopping block at least based on sales.

Wall Street analysis also seems to agree. In his blog Brian White from Ticonderoga has already written the obit, referring to the Playbook as a "casualty of the iPad's success."

Whether or not we will see the rapid dump-off by RIMM of the Playbooks the way we saw HP abandon the Touchpad remains to be seen, but what does all this mean for Sony's upcoming release of their tablet entry? It is already getting rotten reviews from various sources, including JP Morgan's Apple Analyst, Mark Moskowitz. In his latest comments he predicts that there will be "no rush for Apple to release iPad3. The trend of competitors to stumble is going to continue deep into 2012."

Sources (CNN-Money, JP Morgan, Ticonderoga)​

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I was hoping for more, I have one just laying in my drawer at work. There were/are three things which work against it.
1.Connectivity - Forced tethering only through a BB limits the audience rather than pull new customers in
2.Cost for what it offered was not as good as many of its competitors
3. The Blackberry Appstore was expensive in comparison to any others.Too few free apps which would be lures into more inviting use.

But that is my opinion. I am happier with my Archos A101/16 than I ever was evaluating the Playbook 32, and that included music and videos not just work comparisons

Pinkie

Sep 14, 2011
It seems to me that there won't be ANY single device to take on the IPAD, but just like their phone business Google probably cares less as long as market share continues to grow for Android. RIM is toast anyways so it is a moot point in their case and the borderline crazy outlook that their CEO has with everything that has happened in the last 3 years is kinda sad. It is simply down to the 2 juggernauts of OS.