Is The Stock JB Upgrade Junk? Or is it ready for use?

laughalot

Dec 4, 2012
I upgraded, 4 Tabs to be exact.....I haven't had any issues with battery drain, nor have I heard anything from the rest of the family. If anything the battery life is better.

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
I upgraded, 4 Tabs to be exact.....I haven't had any issues with battery drain, nor have I heard anything from the rest of the family. If anything the battery life is better.

My experience is the same as laughalot, JB upgrade is good.

sambena

Dec 30, 2012
I guess the battery drain issue is hit and miss. I have experienced battery drain issues with the update.
I can turn on airplane mode, and enable balanced power and leaving my tablet untouched overnight I will
experience about 19% battery drain.

I just flashed the MCL JB rom and I will tell you how well that works.

[Update] so the MCL ROM provides some improvement in battery life.
I went from 19% drain on stock to about 17% on MCL.

Last edited:

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
Ok,I think I just upgraded. I did the built in upgrade in system settings and it now says I have 4.1.1 which would be the first JB release. All apps are still installed and no data lost. Is this it? What about multi users?

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
Quick follow up. Things are different. Mostly good. Only bad thing so far is Flipbook, which has to be flipped much further to flip pages now.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
This morning I have a major annoyance or two; not sure why it changed (maybe upgrades taken by apps silently) but when I tap in the edit box to do a forum post Super Keyboard pops up as expected but the browser scrolls to the top of the page. Also, the left arrow no longer works.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
Same behavior with SwiftKey except it has no arrows. I did figure out that if I start typing it scrolls back so that part isn't so bad. I miss the arrows though; I am a fat fingered typist. Edit - Chrome does a better job and doesn't keep scrolling to the top. I use the android browser a lot because of the Flash support.

Last edited:

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
I apologize for turning to this into my own blog but I wanted to add some more details. The android browser in the upgrade is the only thing I am really having trouble with. everything else seems fine or better. It fixed a lag in the TWC cable app that had the audio out of sync in ICS. It caused the Calender widget to disappear from my home screen but it works fine when put back. The app launched by the Accuweather widget is significantly improved; lots more options. Tablet seems generally faster. I did the process from system settings and it only took a few minutes (most of that was download time). Stock tablet (not rooted and was running what it shipped with) using US English.