Is there a big difference between the Le Pan one and Two?

jujubeanie

Feb 5, 2012
I've read that they both have two different versions of android;2.2 or 2.3 and 3.2 on Le Pan Two. I was just confused about which one I should get though. I saw the Le Pan one earlier today for about 200 bucks, it's the same price as the kindle fire. I want the Le Pan instead though because I can put my nook app and kindle app on the device without having to "root" it.(I'd probably jack the entire system up doing that,:D)Also the screen is much larger.:)

But then I ran into the Le Pan ll and I was stuck in the middle about which one to get. I'm not really that big on apps, as long as it runs smooth and I can read my textbooks and novels on it. Maybe even browse the web and play a few games. I was wondering though are their huge differences as far as the apps go with both of them. I heard someone mention that their are not a lot apps compatible with the OS on Le Pan One. Should I get the Le Pan one or spend the extra 80 bucks on Amazon and get the Le Pan Two? Also what apps work on the Le Pan Two that will not work on the Le Pan one?

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
I originally bought the le pan 1 before the 2 was released. After I read about the specs. on the 2 I returned the 1 and bought the 2. It was a good decision. le pan 1 android 2.2 designed for phones
le pan 2 android 3.2 designed for tablets a more computer like feel . dual core processor, twice the ram, 4 times the
internal storage. A much much nicer, faster and smoother running tablet.
both have a beautiful hi def super responsive screen. If you can swing the extra 80 bucks get the 2. If not the 1 is really nice for the price.. there will be more and more apps that require the newer 3.2 over time compare it to windows xp to windows 7

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Good post, JohnA2u, very accurate.

Le Pan is cannibalizing sales of the LP1 model, with the prices being so close together. Definitively makes sense going for II if you don't mind spending the extra - you get a lot for that $80 added.

I have the LP1, bought it at Boxing Day sale after watching it for the whole month of December. Happy with it, specially with the fact I can have root access if I want; mine is rooted, and I can do many things not possible on the LPII, where root is not available - yet.

Last edited:

gfinockio

Dec 8, 2011
Agreed - the price and rooting ability on the Le Pan I is why I stuck with it instead of returning it and going for the Le Pan II... there are a couple of amateur developers that are working on rooting the Le Pan II, but it seems like "one step forward, two back" right now.

It really depends on what you see yourself using it for - if you are just aiming to use it as a browser and eReader, then save yourself the money and grab the Le Pan I.

hugg724

Feb 6, 2012
Le Pan I has android 2.2 and will not upgrade to any newer version. Pan II has 3.2 and will upgrade to 4.0 when it becomes available. That is the biggest difference between the two and why I bought the II instead. You don't need to root the II (unless you just "have" to ;) )

black02em2

Jan 15, 2012
I played around with my girlfriends Le Pan I and it was awesome but the only thing was its a little slower, and wifi hesitates a little more, so that why i opted to buy the II for only $80 more. It should be here in a few days but the biggest attraction for myself was the Honeycomb OS later upgradeable to ICS. Cant wait to get it, and Ive read its faster and smoother to play with.

jujubeanie

Feb 5, 2012
Yea I think I'm going to get the LePan 2.I was trying to see where I could order one or go and get one at.Does anyone have any suggestions to where I could or should buy one at? :)

gfinockio

Dec 8, 2011
Le Pan I has android 2.2 and will not upgrade to any newer version. Pan II has 3.2 and will upgrade to 4.0 when it becomes available. That is the biggest difference between the two and why I bought the II instead. You don't need to root the II (unless you just "have" to ;) )

Someone on XDA has 2.3 running on their Le Pan I today...

black02em2

Jan 15, 2012
Does that mean it may be possible for developers to figure a way to install a honeycomb version of android on the Le Pan Tc 970?

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Does that mean it may be possible for developers to figure a way to install a honeycomb version of android on the Le Pan Tc 970?
Installing it is not the major problem, once it's been developed and built.

Would it run well with only 512 MB of system RAM? That's low for Android 3. The tabs running it usually have dual core processors, 1 GB RAM, like the LPII or the HP Touchpad.

Believe it or not, the newer and prettier ICS Android 4.0 version might have a better chance, it's running on some lower end devices already.

Installed Gingerbread on my LP1 for testing, and it's pretty, snappy, will be a joy for everyone when a Stable release is complete. For now, it's for test and development, too many things need work for it to be a daily use version.

But it WILL come. Hopefully soon. ;)

black02em2

Jan 15, 2012
This is exciting, i may just convince the gf to let me fiddle with her LP1 once the 2.3.6 in beta is a little more stable

GnatGoSplat

Dec 5, 2011
I wouldn't worry about Honeycomb. It's already been replaced by ICS, which has all the benefits of Honeycomb, but should be better optimized for performance. For a hint at how well ICS might run on a LePan I (TC970), look on youtube for vids of CM9/ICS running on the Nook Color. The Nook Color uses basically the same processor and same amount of RAM as the TC970, but only runs 80% as fast. An ICS build for TC970 should run at LEAST that well.

coryrk

Feb 17, 2012
Any word on when ICS will be available for the Le Pan 2?

Sent from my LePanII using Android Tablet Forum

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Any word on when ICS will be available for the Le Pan 2?

Sent from my LePanII using Android Tablet Forum
Last word is end of March.

Don't hold your hopes up too high; Le Pan's not been good at keeping promises regarding system upgrades. Ask any LP 1 owner. :p