is there a way to back up data?

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
I'm starting to integrate my Device into my life beyond a toy - similar to the way I used to use a palm pilot. Getting data - and lists on there - for quick reference both today and for future reference.

I'd still like to be able to upgrade, tweak, etc - but don't want to lose my data while I tinker.

Is there a way to back up data on various apps - on your PC ? How do I do that?

One in particular I'd like to backup - is " COLORNOTE " application

Thanks

beastman

May 8, 2011
Are you rooted? Try mybackup root
I have not tried it. Please try searching the market

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

beastman

May 8, 2011
Use terminal
Su
Do the linux backup commands
/mnt/sdcard is your sdcard
Backup to usb or to your computer

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Also don't forget you can make nandroid backups with CWR. It is like taking a snapshot of your entire setup so if you mess something up while tinkering you can restore to exactaly what you had when you made the backup.

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
I'm rooted via SD card running CM7 nightlies. Illbne r9ting tithe device laateron to learn how, but for now, SD card suits my needs fine.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
@beastman, I use mybackup pro/root and like it better than titanium pro. Mbu allows for a complete b/u similar to cwm but you hhave the option to restore selected apps or data. Also easier to copy the entire backup file to PC. IMHO one of the beat apps on the market

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Candlestick, for a start, you might try evernote. This app allows you to make note entries, intergrate pictures, and even web pages into one place. You can sync this app between all your devices and anything you enter will be available on any of those devices. Another app I find useful is google docs. An exellent way to intergrate m$ docs and pdf files as well as a full suite of apps. There are others out there if you look around the market. I still have a palm tx that I find useful due to the size. An external keyboard is a good buy if you run a Rom with bluetooth enabled. I am typing this on a logitech keyboard designed for an ipad but the bluekeyboard jp app set things up well. I find my nook has taken the place of my netbook as my primary device. Good luck and enjoy your new nook

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
Candlestick, for a start, you might try evernote. This app allows you to make note entries, intergrate pictures, and even web pages into one place.

Thanks,

I checked that out on Youtube - and it's interesting - but not really anything I'm looking to do right now. I'm more interested in Having a Calendar - and quick reference lists that I can access and refer to in a nimble / organized process. The Note app I'm using has a better format for that right now.

I was kindof hoping there was a way to quickly backup all of my apps' data on my PC - so I can toy with CWM - and learn about the Android platform and various ROM's a little more - without losing all my data every time.

But it seems like the process is going to be fragmented - and not that easy. I guess this is one thing Apple offers - that trumps Android right now... ??

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Try Titanium Backup or My Backup Pro. Either of these allow you to do a complete backup of your data prior to playing around with your system. CWM allows you to do a backup of the entire rom prior to any changes (this is the recomended method) so that you can restore the system back to its previous condition should you encounter problems. There are a number of calendar programs out there that remind me of the palm tx days.

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
Try Titanium Backup or My Backup Pro. Either of these allow you to do a complete backup of your data prior to playing around with your system. CWM allows you to do a backup of the entire rom prior to any changes (this is the recomended method) so that you can restore the system back to its previous condition should you encounter problems. There are a number of calendar programs out there that remind me of the palm tx days.

I'll look into that. But so I'm clear, Titanium backup - lets you backup entire ROM with data.

But does it allow backup of Apps - without backing up- the ROM??

I'm not really wanting to backup entire ROM ( although - that may be useful ) - but the application data. So if I find a new ROM - that I install - I won't have to re-enter all my app data back into the system as I upgrade to a new ROM. I like my device as it stands now - but I want to tinker a bit to learn - and don't want to lose my current " DATA " as I play with various ROM's - and eventually root my device on the device EMMC.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Titanium Backup only backs up apps and their data not the entire ROM. To back up the entire ROM you use ClockworkMod Recovery and make a nandroid backup. TB or My Backup are what you are looking for.

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
I'm reading up on Titanium - and titanium Pro. From the videos / blogs I'm looking at - can't quite figure out where the backup info is being stored.

On your PC?

SD Card .. ?

If it backs up your data onto a SD card - how exactly does this work - when I'm running CM7 off SD card? The Titanium concept sounds like a keeper - but I'm trying to work through how / if it would work with my setup - or do I have to install ROM onto internal EMMC in order for this to work.

Anybody know.. ?

Thanks

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
TB saves to your SD card. It creates a folder called TitaniumBackup (of course) and saves the backup files in there. When running CM7 bootable from an SD card, CM7 actually sets up a virtual SD card by creating a partition on the card it is running from. So for all intents and purposes you still have an SD card that you can see from inside CM7.

Whether you are running your ROM from internal memory and backing up to an SD card or running a bootable SD card ROM and saving to a virtual SD card that is part of the bootable SD you can copy the TitaniumBackup folder from the SD card to your PC via USB, dropbox or Samba. That way you can save multiple backups from different periods and have them protected from loss on the PC. When you want to restore just copy the folder back to the Nook and use the app to restore.

JP

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
you can copy the TitaniumBackup folder from the SD card to your PC via USB, dropbox or Samba. That way you can save multiple backups from different periods and have them protected from loss on the PC. When you want to restore just copy the folder back to the Nook and use the app to restore.

JP

That's what I was lookin for - thanks