Is there an android app similar to text free for the ipad/ipod touch?

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
On the i-devices there is textfree which assigns you a phone number for free text messaging, anything like that for android?

Catherine

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Get a Google voice account and use gvoice. Works a treat!

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
how are you google voice on the NC? I have GV, just not sure how to connect the 2

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
There's a GV app: Google Voice - Android app on AppBrain I have it installed on the NC, and I can use it just like it runs on my Droid. The only minor catch of course is that the App will think the NC is a phone, so when you install it, just link the NC to one of the numbers you have in your GV account (I think I selected my office number). It will also ask which calls (domestic, international, etc.) you want to make from the NC--for this I selected "never call." Probably doesn't matter. ;)

Just did a few texts and they work great. The only catch is that contacts do not automatically populate in the To box. :( But I think there is a contact-hack for that: NookColor Making contacts work - nookDevs

-Matt

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
lol - you posted and I figured it our at the same time - :) I think you psychic-ly helped me