Is there even one Android Tablet that is not plagued with problems?

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I'm trying to narrow down a Tablet for my sister. She first wanted a Transformer Prime but that tablet has been cursed from the beginning with the Aluminum Unibody problems, so then we were looking in to the Transformer TF101 because it looked stable, but now I have been reading about how many people are having booting problems all of a sudden, where they come from seems to be anyones guess, an update, design flaw, gremlins?
No one knows when Vizios 10.1 inch tablet will be released, she is not interested in a IPad, though it is taking a very long time to get mine back from her (I wonder if there is a hidden conspiracy here?:confused:), She really wants a decent 10.x size Android tablet but her options are running out because I'm running out of ideas.
No IPad, No HP, needs to be Android, Asus is having big problems keeping their stuff working these days and when their oldest tablet is still running at 400.00 and is now showing signs of senility?
Acer A500 I owned and don't think she would like. So what does that leave? Motorola? Samsung? HTC? no htc, heard far to many problems there as well.
Moto and Samsung?. All the low cost cheaply made chinese stuff is out of the question, even LePan is out, they have been running a bait and switch ploy since the first tablet was relelased, ie buy the LP1 it will get updated to ICS when available, sorry ICS not possible due to hardware BS, sorry LP but ICS is running on that hardware, then with the LP2 they cant udate to ICS becuase Google has not relelased ICS to them?! Well maybe not but Google has released ICS to the world and that includes LP so they got caught in the second bait and switch, their tablets are sold as being USB HDMI etc capable EXCEPT there are no dongles for their proprietery ports to use usb or hdmi. Not that there are none in the US but it seems there are none at all.

She is willing to fork out 700.00 plus for a very good device so them things won't even be considered.
I am begining to wonder if companies remember what it means to provide a product that does what it is advertised to do.
If they say it does GPS then it should and if not they should fix that problem NOT! just remove the words GPS from advertisement.. ASUS?! anyone?

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Not sure about the problems with the original Transformer, a lot of people mess with system files and it can have unforseen consequences. My TF101 has been trouble free, as have a couple friends. No troubles with the keyboard dock, no battery issues at all. Although you don't seem interested in the Acer I have another friend who, aside from some minor wifi connection issues that vanished when he got a new router, has had no major issues either. I've owned two Galaxy Tabs and they have been completely reliable as well. One thing about these forums is many people only post when they have problems and it can lead you to believe that they are the norm. From my experience they really aren't. I would be a little cautious about buying the very latest, as you may well have troubles as the kinks are worked out, the Transformer Prime seems a good example. For me this is part of the fun but since you are buying for someone that just wants their tablet to work without the inevitable troubleshooting that either new or cheap devices require I would probably buy A Transformer TF101 or a Galaxy Tab 10.1. I don't have any first hand experience with Toshiba or Lenova so hopefully others can give you more input as to whether they are worth considering.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Does the galaxy tab come in a 64 gig model without 3g or 4g, just wifi?
She will not be using it with cellular and does not want to pay for the cellular hardware on the tablet.
Needs to have GPS, front and back cameras 64 gig memory, a min of dual core, 1 gig of ram, you know, that which makes a tablet worth having.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Must be nice to have money.....:-( here I am plugging away with a forty Quid wm8650..ohh I used to dream of having a 9.7" chinese ipad rip off...excuse typo's this is the bottom end of the market I'm using.....:). Still, I can do most stuff, even if it does take all day..

Sent from my WM8650 using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Must be nice to have money.....:-( here I am plugging away with a forty Quid wm8650..ohh I used to dream of having a 9.7" chinese ipad rip off...excuse typo's this is the bottom end of the market I'm using.....:). Still, I can do most stuff, even if it does take all day..

I started out with a Chinese Huawei Ideos s7 capacitive in rougher times and I think I had more fun with that tablet than anything since.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Tablet Forum

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Capacitive.....ooohhh nice I wish I could get a capacitve..sorry, just dreaming out loud....:-0

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Does the galaxy tab come in a 64 gig model without 3g or 4g, just wifi?
She will not be using it with cellular and does not want to pay for the cellular hardware on the tablet.
Needs to have GPS, front and back cameras 64 gig memory, a min of dual core, 1 gig of ram, you know, that which makes a tablet worth having.

I believe the galaxy tab 10.1 is either 16 or 32 gig. I know the new Transformer prime is 32/64gig, and I think the Lenova Thinkpad tablet comes in a 64 gig version. One good thing about the original transformer is the built in microSD card is an actual drive with read/write functionality, allowing useful expansion beyond the 32 gig internal storage.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Capacitive.....ooohhh nice I wish I could get a capacitve..sorry, just dreaming out loud....:-0

Sorry I meant to say resistive on my S7. It Is the 104 model.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012

Like i said not for me. She will be using it for her job. She will be using Logmein on it to access her work computer and it needs to be a good tablet. One that will last for years and run out of box without need for any fiddling to make it work.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I have had no problems with the Sony S. They have come down $100 in price and now also include the cradle.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Never had a problem with my nook color. ..still enjoying it,rooted of course

Samsung Galaxy Note

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
im wondering if you'll ever be able to use your tablet "for years". nowadays manufacturing processes are just not the same and companies have no interest to have a long life for their products. besides the fact that spare parts can become expensive as the product ages, maybe there is even a conspiracy where a bunch of products are built to fail after 3 years?

BobjGear

Feb 8, 2012
I'm trying to narrow down a Tablet for my sister............... anyone?

You did not mention the Toshiba Thrive, which I am a fan of. Provides more "business use" features than other Tablets. A real workhorse in that regard. Full sized USB, Full sized SDHC/SDXC slot takes up to a 128GB SD card. It is not recharged through the mini-usb port like other tablets. - a high current recharger fully recharges the Thrive in an hour. That is great for a business person on the go all the time. The tablet's back comes off with a lock-button and you have user-swappable batteries (I carry two). Full-sized-USB Adapters are available so she can run by wire off an ethernet cable connection, if no wifi is available - a hotel room, for example. Full-sized USB will accept memory sticks, and it will power and read/write to external hard drives. It has a good GPS. It also lso has a portrait/landscape "lock switch". With a powered multi-dock from Toshiba, or mobile multidock from Kensington, you can connect multiple full-sized USB devices at one time - for example two flash memory sticks and a hard drive and a wired ethernet connection. I have had up to eight external HDD volumes connected at one time, just to test it's limits.

Toshiba has poor customer support, but no company will provide the level of expertise she will get from a good forum. And this forum's sister forum, THRIVEFORUMS.ORG, has outstanding support of the Thrive. Probably the most courteous and helpful Thrive forum on the internet. Their ROMs solve all the standard Android problems also. Good GPS enhancements for faster acquisition of location, available at the forum.

One criticism of the Thrive is that it is thicker than other tablets because of all it's ports. But folks who own them don't seem to consider that as a problem.

In general, most folks who have Thrives and are members of that forum, love them. I know of a number of small businesses who got them for all their people because they integrate well into the existing computer networks, with all these features.

Regards,
bobj

Last edited: