Is this a decent deal/tablet

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
We are very brand new to the tablet world. Just want to be able to surf, read, email, download/store/send pics, skype, play a couple games (words with friends), take pictures and/or video with, and watch movies when we travel, and my husband likes to look at youtube once in a while.

Does this have everything we would need and then some to last us a few years?
ASUS Nexus 7 7" Tablet PC - Newegg.com

Thanks

Melanie

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
Naturally, a bigger screen would be better for us. Just trying to get a unit that will not need to be updated in a couple years. By update I mean, having to replace it with another.

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
OK, let's try another angle and maybe I can help myself.

I've read thru here extensively the past week and haven't found this answer. I could've missed it but I tried to find.

What are the most important things you experts would want in a tablet if you were starting off? (ie: min memory, min processor, front and/or rear camera, etc, etc)

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
That is a very difficult question as no 2 people have the same wants and needs. As an example you started with a 7" but that would not cut it for most of the tablet owners I know, and that's quite a few. Processors are yet another story. As with PC processors the MHz rating isn't the whole story either as the various tablet processors have other features that may make a 1.2 GHz processor a better choice than a 1.6 GHz.

So, based on what I know and how my customers use their tablets. 10" display, front and rear camera, (pixel count not all that important unless you want to replace a real camera and most are fairly decent any more), microSD card, (I personally consider that a must have), blue tooth, WiFi, 1200x800 resolution minimum, 1-2 GB RAM, 16GB of internal storage, (the microSD card expands the storage to an infinite amount so no need to spend more up front for more internal storage, and the cloud handles much of it). Rear camera flash, HDMI out. Those are the high points and my must haves.

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
That is a very difficult question as no 2 people have the same wants and needs. As an example you started with a 7" but that would not cut it for most of the tablet owners I know, and that's quite a few. Processors are yet another story. As with PC processors the MHz rating isn't the whole story either as the various tablet processors have other features that may make a 1.2 GHz processor a better choice than a 1.6 GHz.

So, based on what I know and how my customers use their tablets. 10" display, front and rear camera, (pixel count not all that important unless you want to replace a real camera and most are fairly decent any more), microSD card, (I personally consider that a must have), blue tooth, WiFi, 1200x800 resolution minimum, 1-2 GB RAM, 16GB of internal storage, (the microSD card expands the storage to an infinite amount so no need to spend more up front for more internal storage, and the cloud handles much of it). Rear camera flash, HDMI out. Those are the high points and my must haves.

Thank you Leeshor. That was extremely helpful. I sincerely appreciate your patience with me.

Do you have a store? You said "your customers".

Melanie

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Thank you Leeshor. That was extremely helpful. I sincerely appreciate your patience with me.

Do you have a store? You said "your customers".

Melanie

I own a computer company so I get very involved with the technology my customers use, but no retail or store.

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
I own a computer company so I get very involved with the technology my customers use, but no retail or store.

You are very kind to help those of us who know nothing. May I ask you about this unit please, your thoughts?
Motorola XOOM Media Edition MZ505

General2G Network N/A
SIMNo
Announced2011, October
StatusAvailable. Released 2012, January
BodyDimensions260 x 177 x 11.4 mm (10.24 x 6.97 x 0.45 in)
Weight650 g (1.43 lb)
DisplayTypeTFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size800 x 1280 pixels, 10.1 inches (~149 ppi pixel density)
MultitouchYes
SoundAlert typesN/A
Loudspeaker Yes, with stereo speakers
3.5mm jack Yes
MemoryCard slotmicroSD, up to 32 GB
Internal16 GB storage, 1 GB RAM
DataGPRSNo
EDGENo
WLANWi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot
BluetoothYes, v2.1 with A2DP, EDR
USBYes, microUSB v2.0
CameraPrimary5 MP, 2592х1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
FeaturesGeo-tagging
VideoYes, 720p@30fps
SecondaryYes, 1.3 MP
FeaturesOSAndroid OS, v3.1 (Honeycomb), upgradable to v4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
ChipsetNvidia Tegra 2 T20
CPUDual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9
GPUULP GeForce
SensorsAccelerometer, gyro, compass
MessagingEmail, Push Email, IM
BrowserHTML, Adobe Flash
RadioNo
GPSYes, with A-GPS support
JavaYes, via Java MIDP emulator
ColorsBlack
- HDMI port
- MP3/WAV/WMA/AAC+ player
- MP4/WMV/H.263/H.264 player
- Google Search, Maps, Gmail, YouTube, Google Talk
- Document viewer
- Photo viewer/editor
- Organizer
- Voice memo
- Predictive text input
Battery Non-removable Li-Ion battery (24.8 Wh)
Stand-byUp to 336 h
Talk timeUp to 10 h

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
All I really needed was the word Xoom. It isn't a bad tablet but it has had poor reviews. The only person I know with one doesn't seem to have any issues with it but he does like my tablet better. Though the reviews were bad, that I saw, I can't remember the specifics of why but I do know that many of the Xoom sales came from cell phone providers carrying it.

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
OK, moving on then. My search continues. If you find something that you think we should consider, I'd appreciate knowing. I know I'm asking a lot but hey, we're seniors. :cool: