Is this tablet Rooted properly?

teckman45

Nov 10, 2012
Hi, This is my first tablet and am learning the in's and outs of it. I read the tablet is rooted but I can not download/install some apps. that require root. I read it is rooted but not properly. I ran a superoneclick that read it is rooted and if I wanted to continue.I stopped and thought I should ask before doing so. I downloaded a sd manager and it does not show a root file.
I rooted my cell phone and it shows a root file and superuser. Thank you for any advice.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Do you have SuperUser or SuperSU installed? If not, you should get this installed so you can grant root access to other apps.

If you have root, you may be able to just install it from the Play Store, or you may have to connect via USB and use ADB to push the file to your tablet if installing it directly does not work.

TaekwonBo

Nov 20, 2012
Any luck on getting the playstore? I've read multiple forums to get the play store on the Zeki but it seems to be a hit and miss on being successful. I'm also new to Androids/Tablets and getting the playstore would be good. I'm comfortable trying to add the playstore but don't want to risk it if a majority aren't successful. Hope to hear results soon.

teckman45

Nov 10, 2012
No it never installed, my unit was not rooted when I received it. I contacted support, the Rep. did not know what "Rooted" meant. After explaining it to him several times, he still did not comprehend what "Root" meant. The Rep did tell me there is no recovery partition on the tablet other than a factory reset. The reset did not correct the problem. You might try 1mobile, they have good apps.

zaivala

Nov 9, 2012
I haven't tried to flash the A10 to use Google Play yet. There are good instructions in this forum. So far I've been mostly happy with the apps available through the 3 app stores included. But the system is rooted out of the box, just not updated

teckman45

Nov 10, 2012
I think the tablet I got was just a bad one. The app. site I mentioned has most of the same apps. for free compared to the 3 sites where they cost a few dollars. Im not promoting any site, it just might be worth looking into.

TaekwonBo

Nov 20, 2012
I have 2 Zeki Tablets and I cant understand why 1 has a recovery mode and the other does not. I checked the about tablet and all the information matches. See picture below. Is one rooted and the other is not? Why the difference?

$20121201_223218 (Small).jpg$20121201_223522 (Small).jpg

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
It is possible to be rooted but not have a custom recovery installed.

TaekwonBo

Nov 20, 2012
Whats the difference with the Factory Data Reset and Recovery mode (which says "can clear data or system upgrade")

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have 2 Zeki Tablets and I cant understand why 1 has a recovery mode and the other does not. I checked the about tablet and all the information matches. See picture below. Is one rooted and the other is not? Why the difference?]

Those pics has nothing to due with root, that is just your firmware one allows you to boot to stock recovery the other one doesn't. You don't need root for the option to be shown. You just have different software.

teckman45

Nov 10, 2012
As I wrote earlier, customer service told me there is no recovery included on this tablet. They came out with a good tablet but didnt add the basics I.E. recovery etc... Sounds like they wanted to get these out and may have cut some corners here and there.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
As I wrote earlier, customer service told me there is no recovery included on this tablet. They came out with a good tablet but didnt add the basics I.E. recovery etc... Sounds like they wanted to get these out and may have cut some corners here and there.

I think the devices has a recovery, customer service people aren't always very helpful.

Is this the same tablet, they are using stock recovery to upgrade firmware.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1872466

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
do you have adb set? post the output for me.

adb shell

su

mount

cat /proc/partitions

zaivala

Nov 9, 2012
I answered that question elsewhere in this forum. But let me try again.

One system reset is done through software from the Settings screen. The other is done by pushing a paperclip through the reset hole and holding the Volume - key. I strongly recommend using the software one first... if the hardware reset doesn't work, you certainly have a brick.