Is your GPS working?

Yzlvr

Apr 27, 2011
I cannot get my GPS to work. If I try to use g maps, navigation or any gps test app, I always get searching for GPS...

Anyone else?

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
I posted in another thread about the GPS and compass not being very stable or sensitive. I can get the gps to work, but not from locations I'm used to. Have to get closer to windows, even all the way outside. Beginning to wonder if the gps antenna is perhaps in a bad location on the A500, and I don't know what to make of the compass accuracy, or lack therof.

Either way, it's going to take some sorting out. If this is not a hardware flaw, I'm willing to wait for an update, but if I'm not sure that's what it is before my return date, I may send it back. I hope not, because I absolutely love everything else about this thing! What other flaws it has are mostly related to the OS, which I know will be fixed over time.

panda

Apr 25, 2011
My gps is fast and pretty accurate, or at least as accurate as my HTC hero.

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
:( I really don't want to take mine back, however the GPS seems REALY SLOW on mine. If I go to Maps, if finds my location pretty quickly, but says searching for GPS for a while.

Going to go try it outside.

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
This settles it, perhaps. I've been struggling with my GPS too. Seems very unstable. Guess I'm going to go the exchange route and see if things improve.

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
Anxious to hear if they have a solution. I really don't want to return mine and reinstall everything!

Mar 18, 2011
sorry guys, I am new to using GPS/maps on a SD card.
I got acer a500 and new SD card. how do I load the maps onto SD card, and where do I get the maps from ?
hope we can use without 3g/4g connection.

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
HW reset did not work and I was transfered to a level 2 tech.

Note: I'm in IT and with some companies it take forever and a day to convience them to get you to a level 2 tech! I'm amazed at how good their support people are. 5 Stars!!!!!

Now for the bad news.

Although Maps is finding my location, the Tech was able to replicate the issue on a Tablet he had on hand. Unit keeps saying "Searching for GPS". He put me on hold and talked to a higher level tech...again, amazing to me. Unfortunately, they are a little perplexed. The US Support Techs have "calls into Taiwan" about how Honeycomb and the tablet actually use GPS.

There are concerns that Honeycomb only is using "tower triangulation" at this point, instead of true GPS. The techs seems to think it is a SW issue, rather than HW, so that is good. Also, he confirmed that for GPS to work right now, you must be connected to WiFi...strange. I think this is way they think it is using some kind of tower trianglation.

For what it is worth, the tech seemed very honest and forthcoming. A trait that I think all Support Techs should have. With that said, I'm going to keep my unit and hope for a software update soon.

For me, this is the only issue I have noticed with the unit. And since you need to be connected to WiFi at this point, I'll just use my Droid2 for GPS.

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
Hmmmm. Methinks there are multiple issues with the OS and apps and orientation and GPS. All of my compass apps are 90 degrees off. I also have this stupid candle app (just shows a candle on the screen) and the flame is always tilted sideways when the tablet is in portrait. Switch to landscape and the flame goes straight up, but the candle app stays in portrait, so the candle itself is sideways witha flame acting like it's straight up. Put that together with the 90 degree issue with the compass, and voila, orientation issues.

Now then again, why would it triangulate from cell towers if it does not have a cell modem in it. Yet again, battery usage on mine is 20% cell standby when supposedly there is no cell modem in it?

I am totally confusing myself with this, but there appears to be a cluster of issues here.