Is your GPS working?

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
I know... The tape covering the SIM slot accidentally peal up a bit on my unit. While I was putting it back into place, I saw that there was not a SIM card installed. Just saying. Odd.

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
What a mess. I think I'll ride the storm out with this, but man, I sure long for a little good 'ol Apple quality control on the hardware and the OS.

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
At least their support techs rock!!! It wasn't fun, but the fact I was treated so nicely was just amazing. I'm going to ride the storm as well. There are some other minor hiccups with honeycomb, but so far I LOVE this tablet.

Side note, a buddy of mine got the W500. Personally, I really like the A500 better. Lighter, slimmer and just like the android OS for the tablet better.

baldbear

Apr 28, 2011
You do realize the google navigation app won't work without a wifi connection because it downloads maps on demand? I just had it navigate me home from work and it was dead on.

iamcoop

Apr 27, 2011
I know... The tape covering the SIM slot accidentally peal up a bit on my unit. While I was putting it back into place, I saw that there was not a SIM card installed. Just saying. Odd.

Makes me wonder what shoving a non-activated SIM card in there would do for GPS triangulation.

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
You do realize the google navigation app won't work without a wifi connection because it downloads maps on demand? I just had it navigate me home from work and it was dead on.

Ah yes, that did not enter in to my equation. I already had the local map up when I turned the wifi off. How did you do it in your car then, mobile hotspot?

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
Dang sticker won't stay...may have to do something about that. However, It appears there is no reader install for a SIM card. Just a slot in the case...

UPDATE: Upon closer inspection, there is no reader. With the screen light on, can see where a reader would be soldered to the board. I think if you were to slide SIM card in there, you'd have to take the until apart to get it out. Looks like it would just fall into the belly of the tablet.

Last edited:

iamcoop

Apr 27, 2011
So, there is no SIM card reader, but the battery shows power drain for cell standby. Nice.
:p

baldbear

Apr 28, 2011
yes my phone. I and am now sitting here at home just got 6 of 8 sats on gps so mine Is working

Last edited:

JoeRnCT

Apr 28, 2011
I know that with my Garmin GPS unit, if it hasn't been used in awhile, it takes time to locate satellites. The more you use it, the faster it locates. Don't know why. But maybe it's the same thing with the A500.

suade907

Apr 27, 2011
I just downloaded gps test off the market. I have a bad overcast today but I have found that with the wifi enabled the gps test software does see a few satellites but the second you turn off wifi you lose them all instantly. I was unable to get a location fix via google maps though, could be the overcast.

baldbear

Apr 28, 2011
I just downloaded gps test off the market. I have a bad overcast today but I have found that with the wifi enabled the gps test software does see a few satellites but the second you turn off wifi you lose them all instantly. I was unable to get a location fix via google maps though, could be the overcast.

Did the same thing 0 then 6 of 8 get an open view of the sky

scarpezio

Jun 25, 2010
I am in my den with my Epic 4G and my A500, both running GPS Test. The Epic shows 10 satellites in view,the A500 shows 5. Wifi is disabled. On maps, the location with only GPS is about 50' - 80' off and improving the longer it is on. Additionally then, turning on wifi also improved the accuracy to about 10' - 20'. The A500 GPS appears to be about 1/2 as sensitive as my phone and takes MUCH longer to get an initial fix and accurate position. Also, the compass appears to be 90 degrees off. Facing due North, the compass points due East.

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
Thank God someone else has the 90 degrees off problem besides me. I was feeling pretty alone there.