Is your GPS working?

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
Well, looks like Acer is getting this one back and for good too. GPS is still struggling mightily to lock on to satellites. It's in my office window with a clear view of half the sky and is only getting two sats so far, and is not locking on either one. Compass is still 90 degress off. I'm gonna have to go Xoom I'm afraid.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
It seems that the GPS doesn't work on a lot of android devices because it doesn't work on my Flytouch II either. Or...any...other android device i have used.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Somehow, my compass is now spot on, but accurracy is bad. Using GPS test, I only see 4 satellites at about 35 strength. What should an accurate unit show there?

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Hey it works now! Very happy. Google sky map is also working. Thought it was a lost cause, but 15 minutes walking around outside got my locks.

suade907

Apr 27, 2011
Ok did my test today. GPS took 10 minutes to get a good lock again. But it did work whether the wi-fi was on or not. While driving, my unit followed my route in google navigation and was not as smooth as my droid incredible nor as fast. It seemed to have a slight lag behind where it should of been. Also I just got back from Best buy and sure enough the above user and I have the same issue with the volume rocker. The one in the store is nice and easy much like the ipad and mine is stiff and hard to click. Now that he has said his gps issues are gone I may just return my unit for one from their inventory since the 2 they had out didn't have the volume rocker issue. I'm still debating because I spent a ton of time setting this thing up perfect. We'll see.

robitron929

May 3, 2011
Easy fix! Sorry but u need root, find how to root then install Fasterfix (GPS driver fix) app from market, open app, accept super user permissions, app will go completely black then test via google maps! Should speed it up $hit load, just as fast as my incredible when it was new. Hope this helps

fulaccer

May 1, 2011
Guys maybe we are expecting to much of it remember it is not a true GPS it is an assisted GPS like the one of the I pad wifi

pago85

May 26, 2011
Iconia A500 comes with hardware GPS, not a wifi based location system (this function is also available to use with hardware GPS)
This is the main reason I bought this tablet. What I found with Customer service was very friendly, but they do not have a much experience with this tab yet. Also Acer USA customer service is only function of repairing... no excahnge, no refund service for any claim.

My GPS system on A500 was not responded at all when I bought it.

Last night, I done what I could and found the signal is very weak and way to improve this problem.
You do not need a routing job for this problem.
1. Download GPS utility program from android market (Any program seemed work)
2. Remove sticker from the panel (on right side, there is spec. description WIFI, GPS... a large one) that CS advised
3. Turn on GPS utility for a while to catch the satelight signal and leave it on
(Maybe at window side of your room at the first trial. Afetr all, I can go to basement, inside of building... anywhere)
4. Make sure WIFI is on and easy access to the internet
5. But "TURN OFF" any WIFI based location service from setup screen. (Google Location service)
6. Then, execute "Navigation" or "Place" software >>> it should start working.
(You are free from searching for GPS signal loop!!!)
I could see 3 satelights at first and finally, I could catch 7 -8 satelights in last night and
worked very well with all of location service program without WIFI based location assist.

Also, I got a system update (a large file download) in this morning and after installed the new system,
It seemed hardware GPS system is working property, I do not know this is from new system or
some trial that I done in last night.

It working now!

Last edited:

pago85

May 26, 2011
In addition, the hardware GPS on Iconia A500 is better than Wifi assist GPS positioning system.
I was so glad that I bought A500.

ScottW714

May 26, 2011
Mine works well, but it takes at least 5 mins to locate. Not sure why because I downloaded a program that finds the satellites and it locates many, just doesn't locate the devise. But once it finds it, it's spot on. I can even walk through my house and see it changing. I would say w/i 10 ft.

The other issue I think with maps is my compass seems to be off about 40 degrees, even after I reset the compass. So the 3D Google Maps is always facing the wrong way unless I am moving.

ihightower

Jun 13, 2011
Device: Acer Iconia A500 (not rooted.. as original only)

I was also thinking GPS not work (without Wifi).. after trying out for several days... but it really works... and here is how to do it.

- prerequirements
GPS Status app from Market to view gps info
Google Maps just zoom on your streets to cache the few map tiles (with wifi)

1) Make sure you have clear visibility of the sky... at least 50% of the sky should be in view.. and don't move (like in a car).. if slow driving in traffic is ok.. :)

2) you can switch off wifi, but ensure GPS is turned on.. and open GPS Status

3) wait for 10-30mins... without touching the device.. Satellites will come slowly... from 1 to 2 to 5 to 7, etc... numbers go up and down.

4) Finally you will have lat/long lock.. and from then on it will work as expected

5) Go back to Google Maps... then click on "my location icon" then after <5mins.. you will get the lat/long correctly shown.

6) from this point onwards.. you will have GPS working.. and you can start driving and point will move... make sure you cached google map tiles (on wifi) before you switched it off.

This link may help you for more reference:
Acer Iconia, GPS How to make it work 1st Time. | Old Time Blogger

Scruples98

Jun 29, 2011
I cannot get my A500 to locate itself using the GPS. It is on the WiFi. I downloaded the GPS finder App. I get seven satellites but all are greyed out and will not give me a GPS coordinate. I have a blackberry phone so I am trying to input the latitude and longtitude manually. The Blackberry tells me I am at N 49 (degrees) 48.8983 latitude and at West 125 degrees 1.7043 . However, the Google sky map wants these coordinates in some different numerical format. How do I convert them to the google sky map format? Help is much appreciated!

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
i received a reply from Acer within 24 hoursvof reporting the gps issue without wifi on my a500. The response was that they are aware of issues and an update patch will be out shortly. I'm still waiting but something is comming. I have a phone I can use as a nav if I have too. The a500 wasnt bought for that reason.

Scruples98

Jun 29, 2011
Okay, so I have the GPS working now. I removed a product sticker on the right side of the unit as instructed by pago85 above. I also turned off the google location service under settings. the GPS finder app was able to locate satellites and they provided GPS coordinates. Now Google maps works but I am still having trouble with Google sky and getting the latitude and longitude in the right format.