Issue with V712 Firmware

Wen74

Sep 26, 2012
I like the 712, it has very nice hardware but it seems that the software isn't quite where it should be.

Thus the issue. My Play store didn't work at all. First thing I did was to surf the net but couldn't find answer. Then I looked up most recent firmware for my version from onda.cn (1.5 for V2). It didn't install from the zip straightaway (signature failure) but when I unpacked the files to SD and updated from those, it did update the first zip but the second (patch.zip) failed with aforementioned signature failure.

Result: tablet still works but I lost ~70% of all the applications and who knows what else. Most stinging loss was Play store. I tried to sideload it with the framework from the package but it seems to require something else from the update as well to work.

Questions:

Is there a working firmware somewhere? I will yet try with 1.4 but the download is horribly slow.

Is there some other recovery tool so that I could ignore the signature error?

If everything else fails, how can I get the Play store to work?

Thank you.

------------------
Update:

Installing the 1.4 firmware first solved the problem with the missing applications. 1.5 update still doesn't work.

Last edited:

GuustFlater89

Sep 27, 2012
I have the same problem with my v2. Going back to 1.4 is fine, but i assume some improvements are made in 1.5. I don't dare to try v1 version of patch.

Last edited:

Wen74

Sep 26, 2012
Actually I got youtube and facebook working. It seems that the issue is with the hosts file that has some odd IP:s (chinese proxys?) for all google services and then some. Cleaning up the hosts and adding localhost to it, everything started working. Now to wait for Jelly Bean.

Troy32

Jul 22, 2011
Actually I got youtube and facebook working. It seems that the issue is with the hosts file that has some odd IP:s (chinese proxys?) for all google services and then some. Cleaning up the hosts and adding localhost to it, everything started working. Now to wait for Jelly Bean.

Hi Guys

I am having the exact same problem - cant access anything with google. How do you go about "cleaning up the hosts and adding localhost?"

Thanks in advance

Troy

Troy32

Jul 22, 2011
Onda v712 - v1.5.5

Google Vertalen

Thanks for the link - am downloading it and will attempt to flash it - will that fix the appstore problem?

Getting back to the "cleaning up the hosts and adding localhost?" topic - is there some settings in the Advanced section of wifi settings to fix this problem of not being able to access google/playstore/facebook etc without having to install a different firmware version?

Wen74

Sep 26, 2012
Install file manager (File Manager HD works fine), create or copy hosts file that includes only localhost (127.0.0.1) and then copy that to /etc folder over the original. It still might be easier install the new firmware if that works unless you are comfortable on working with android on file level.

Macstorm

Oct 13, 2012
hi all, I too recently purchased a V712 and have a few issues with it, this is my first android device and I have no idea about updating the the firmware I'm a complete newbie and it's doesn't help with the website being in Chinese. If I update the firmware to 1.5.5 does anyone have a useful guide on how to do this for the ONDA system, is there anything I need to be careful with?

On another note how do I know which version I have I assumed being a V712 and not V711 that mine was a version 2 but I have no idea lol?

Thanks for any pointers.

romasz

Nov 3, 2012
Hi

I too have an ONDA V712 which cannot access anything to do with google play store etc. I believe the issue is with the hosts file containing chinese proxy setup etc.
Could someone please describe the process in simple step by step on what is needed to clear the host file issue...I am new to androud systems but not a total novice .
Any help would be greatly appreciated I am sure there are other people in this boat...who would welcome some assistance..

Thanks in Advance

Frank

Install file manager (File Manager HD works fine), create or copy hosts file that includes only localhost (127.0.0.1) and then copy that to /etc folder over the original. It still might be easier install the new firmware if that works unless you are comfortable on working with android on file level.

surfer103

Nov 7, 2012
I like the 712, it has very nice hardware but it seems that the software isn't quite where it should be.

Thus the issue. My Play store didn't work at all. First thing I did was to surf the net but couldn't find answer. Then I looked up most recent firmware for my version from onda.cn (1.5 for V2). It didn't install from the zip straightaway (signature failure) but when I unpacked the files to SD and updated from those, it did update the first zip but the second (patch.zip) failed with aforementioned signature failure.

Result: tablet still works but I lost ~70% of all the applications and who knows what else. Most stinging loss was Play store. I tried to sideload it with the framework from the package but it seems to require something else from the update as well to work.

Questions:

Is there a working firmware somewhere? I will yet try with 1.4 but the download is horribly slow.

Is there some other recovery tool so that I could ignore the signature error?

If everything else fails, how can I get the Play store to work?

Thank you.

------------------
Update:

Installing the 1.4 firmware first solved the problem with the missing applications. 1.5 update still doesn't work.
you should try v1

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Thanks for the link - am downloading it and will attempt to flash it - will that fix the appstore problem?

Getting back to the "cleaning up the hosts and adding localhost?" topic - is there some settings in the Advanced section of wifi settings to fix this problem of not being able to access google/playstore/facebook etc without having to install a different firmware version?

Hi i have a post http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...01-ics-4-0-3-play-store-etc-walk-through.html just follow this but using your firmware file and it should be fine.