Issues Catching Audio due to Noise Cancellation

Discussion in 'Acer Iconia Tab A500 Forum' started by webchameleon, May 27, 2011.

1. webchameleon

webchameleon Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500 Tab
    Last night I was trying to catch a bunch of testimonials on video. I noticed on playback that I could hear more clearly the crowd closest to me and i could hear the speaker better when I panned the tablet away from them.

So...I've discovered this is a noise cancellation issue. How do you turn it off to get great audio when using the 5mpix rear camera? There has to be away.

Samantha

2. spexwood

spexwood Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500 tab & Sony Ericsson Xperia X10a
    You cant turn the noise cancellation off.
    This problem has been a long-running issue for many unfortunately.

3. Icebike

Icebike Senior Member

Silly puddy in the round hole in upper right corner inside the MicroSD slot keeps the noise canceling mic from hearing anything, and keeps echo cancellation to a minimum.

But yeah, the mics in this tablet are sub-optimal.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  4. spexwood

spexwood Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500 tab & Sony Ericsson Xperia X10a
    Could you post a pic of what you did? I have heard of others (or maybe it was more of your posts) doing that too. Id like to try it, but like to see pics before i tamper with stuff... even though this seems pretty easily undoable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Tablet Forum

5. Icebike

Icebike Senior Member

Nah, not going to take pictures, because, its not really a good solution in the long run.

Look folks, our mics suck, we just have to face that until ICS comes out.

I tried a layer of closed cell foam. Didn't help.
    Tried something like silly putty (I used the gunk from a 3M picture hanger). Noise canceling worked a little better, but volume still low.

You can test this by opening the MicroSD compartment and holding your thumb over the mic hole. No sense messing with it if that
    doesn't offer any improvements.

Results are inconsistent at best, and they very with each software update. Between the first and second update that just happened here in the states
    the mic was nice an reasonably loud. I have some Voice Recorder captures of tests that I took before the second OTA update rolled in.
    Then the second update rolled in, and the mic was crap again.

You know, It almost seems to me that with the MicroSD door taped OPEN I get better recordings with better mic volume than with the door
    closed or with the putty in the hole.

If you put the back of the tablet to an open room (away from desk and walls) you get the best mic volume.
    Turn to face a wall, and you can watch the VU meter in the recorder fall to zero. Turn around again, facing the open room (back of tablet to open space)
    and it sounds ok again.

I tried this with the MicroSD door open and closed, and it seems better with it open. But not by much.

But the main point I've found is that it is very sensitive to proximity of something behind the tablet.
    So I wonder if a case without a mic hole in the rear might actually Hurt performance?

Also all my tests were with the recorder, not with someone talking to me over skype, so cancellation of other-end-talk was not really an issue I was testing.