• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JeffBaxter

May 30, 2011
Please let me know about the issues which anyone should be aware about Acer A500 before purchasing it.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
GPS isn't great. Compass is off 90 degrees so direction based apps don't work well. Not sure if an update would fix it or not.

Since I use neither of those features, I personally have zero issues with the Acer.

Fungii

May 31, 2011
First let me go on to say that I love the Iconia tablet- Gorgeous design, I personally love the heft to it because it feels more solid than the other two tegra devices out there. Plus a USB port without the need to buy an additional accessory? Yes please. So that out of the way, I personally really don't use GPS that much and when i do I use my phon. So I could live with the gps (haven't even bothered personally to see if my tablet is affected). However, my biggest gripe and I am on the verge of returning the tablet with a heavy heart for the Asus, is the wifi issue. I've scoured and searched for any relevant fix but nothing. I am literally 13 feet away from the wireless router and the signal fluctuates between "poor" and "fair". If I go more than 20 feet, the signal drops off and crawls. The router is not the issue as my droid incredible gets a 78-81% signal strength at 30 feet. Perhaps someone here can shed a little light on this issue but as it stands, the Asus is looking like the better choice. Which sucks because I love the Acer tablet in every aspect save for the wifi strength.
So that's a big con for the wifi ant in the Acer.
Big plus for everything else. Apologize if that sounded to preachy.

Last edited:

JeffBaxter

May 30, 2011
Thanks a lot everyone for responding to my question. i just wanted to know if anyone can list all the problems and the technical details (If possible). Thanks for any help !!

KevMull

May 25, 2011
Google Maps app (v5.5) crashes regularly. I use browser version instead.

Gallery does not render images correctly at default screen size (see my post on this issue), possibly updated in HC 3.1(?)

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Can you list me all the issues and the technical details of this device.
As far a an "issues" list- there is no official list, check around the forums for the general consensus. As far as I know- there is no single item on the A500 that's 100% non-functional like the SD cardslot issue on the Motorola Xoom.

As far a spec sheet for a the A500, here ya go:
Acer Iconia Tab A500 16GB Detailed Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Not seeing ANY google maps issues. None.

It will even navigate for you, as long as you select your destination and start navigation before you leave wifi zone, and stay in maps mode (no satellite image mode).

Since the software upgrade, sometimes when I wake it up after being on charger for a long time it will lock up, and I have to reboot. I have a trouble ticket in for that.

greg

May 31, 2011
I too thought I had a GPS problem, for days. It turned out to be user error. I went from not being able to find any satellites to the unit finding 6-9 within 10 sec with excellent fixes and fine compass performance.

Here is how:
> Downloaded 'GPS Status & Toolbox' from Android market, as mentioned by csoren above.
> I activated 'Use GPS Satellites" and checked 'Use Wireless Router ' under Settings, Location & Security
> I opened the application GPS Status & Toolbox.
> I put my A500 in a south facing window with good view up to the sky, tilting it up to 45 deg to flat. Seems to get signals better tilted up...may be my mind.

That was it. Within 10 minutes it was tracking 9 satellites and in subsequent checks the acquisition and fix occurred in 12 seconds. Returning the unit is maybe not the right solution, as some suggest. I do not think it is the HW. I think it is simply a matter of doing the initial sync right, as the guys above (and other threads) have pointed out.
For what it is worth...

Last edited:

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
No, compass works fine after the most recent update. Google Sky Map, Maps, Earth etc work fine. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2 works fine too. Older apps written for phones that assume the device's natural orientation is portrait mode have problems. That's a bug in those programs, not the A500.

Unfortunately, my compass is still off 90 degrees, and google sky map suffers as a result. Also my directionality in maps and a couple of games that use position sensors. Any way I can force a recalibration of the compass? I have the newest OTA.

May 10, 2011
Maybe you're holding it wrong. :p

I read that some apps written for phones that use the compass are off because they are meant to be used in portrait mode, and so that may be throwing off the compass.