• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
No, that's not the issue... doesn't matter how you hold it in sky map. I should be a window looking into the stars that you can rotate freely. Plus the game was a space game with all controls set as in landscape.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
No, that's not the issue... doesn't matter how you hold it in sky map. I should be a window looking into the stars that you can rotate freely. Plus the game was a space game with all controls set as in landscape.
Hey Dan- do you have "enable Google location services via network" or whatever it's called checked off under location and privacy settings?
Last night for the first time Google Skymaps was way off. I was looking at Saturn but Skymaps was showing Vega. It also showed Polaris below the horizon at 11:30pm last night. So I looked at my location and privacy settings and saw that I had turned google location services off to test some GPS functions. After re-enabling those services, Skymap was still way off, but after about 3 min I saw a popup on the Skymap screen stating "location set at (my town name)" then Skymap went back to being extremely accurate again.

BTW- Saturn is in an excellent viewing position right now- you can even see one of it's moons with the naked eye.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Hey Dan- do you have "enable Google location services via network" or whatever it's called checked off under location and privacy settings?
Last night for the first time Google Skymaps was way off. I was looking at Saturn but Skymaps was showing Vega. It also showed Polaris below the horizon at 11:30pm last night. So I looked at my location and privacy settings and saw that I had turned google location services off to test some GPS functions. After re-enabling those services, Skymap was still way off, but after about 3 min I saw a popup on the Skymap screen stating "location set at (my town name)" then Skymap went back to being extremely accurate again.

BTW- Saturn is in an excellent viewing position right now- you can even see one of it's moons with the naked eye.

Hmm... no it was off! Now for some testing, thanks for the tip!

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Didn't help.

Actually when I launch my compass testing app, it even tells me "abnormal magnetic field. Please calibrate your device" but I haven't found a way to do that.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Didn't help.

Actually when I launch my compass testing app, it even tells me "abnormal magnetic field. Please calibrate your device" but I haven't found a way to do that.
Well that's probably why your Google Skymaps app isn't accurate- among other sensors it definitely uses the compass sensor. Maybe you have a faulty compass unit?

If you install "3D compass" (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.aCompass&feature=search_result) is that accurate?
That's one of the few compass apps that works properly for me.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Wow. Not only is 3D compass a sweet app, but its also accurate.

Wonder what my issue is... maybe things are starting to work now that I enabled location. I will try sky map again when the stars come out. Thanks for 3d compass, very impressed.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Ironically, that's the one I was using which didn't work...

Hoping sky map works... gonna test soon.

JeffBaxter

May 30, 2011
Well this entire discussion gives me good information about the product and the Issues. Thanks a lot all for the help !!! :)

mmanea2002

Nov 16, 2010
Another problem discussed in the forum is the main camera out of focus when you take a picture. When is doing the autofocus is passing through a position where the image is sharp and crispy but the final result is out of focus. This make me think that is no problem with the hardware itself is the software. Hopefully will be solved in the future 3.1 release.

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
I love mine but but 3 things I'd suggest to Acer;
1. I find in landscape my left thumb covers the front camera.
2. The volume rocker is hard to operate
3. The MicroSd hatch seems very wimpy compared to the rest of the build quality. How many cycles did they test that for?

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I love mine but but 3 things I'd suggest to Acer;
1. I find in landscape my left thumb covers the front camera.
2. The volume rocker is hard to operate
3. The MicroSd hatch seems very wimpy compared to the rest of the build quality. How many cycles did they test that for?

Those are some good points, especially #2. How often do you plan to open the hatch? I just load up a 32 GB card and that's it. Also, I'm a little bit surprised that people even care about the rear camera...I wish they have just left that off...a front camera is more useful....but how many times are you really going to be taking pics with a landscape-mode tablet?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
i have a problem with my front cam, it doesnt open.

What do you mean the camera doesn't Open? Were you looking for a place to insert film? :p

Use the Camera application. Use the icon on that application which shows arrows wrapping around the camera to
switch between front and back camera.