It was one excellent ride, but it is time to say good bye.

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
I enjoyed working and talking with you guys and gals.
Special thanks to rprr and marvin02 for their invaluable contribution to this board.
Root+32gb "internal" storage I enjoyed.
But I have made a decision.
I am going to return my Vizio.
Vizio update build 1.9.157 closing root w/o any improvements has contributed to this decision.
I hope Vizio people read this board.

I am getting Sony Tablet S because of the superior IR capabilities and much better remote control app.
It is not rooted yet, but I hope it will be soon.

Thank you all again.

I wish you luck.

Wish me luck with my new toy.

Best regards to all.

xphyle

Aug 27, 2010
Sorry to say that I did exactly the same thing not a week ago. Still pop in here from time to time out of habit. Bought the tablet at Walmart at end of November, and just recently returned it saying it was a xmas present. Biggest reason was that I picked up a Iconia A500 refurb for only $250 and just couldn't justify hanging on to the VTab. However, it looks like the new tab that Vizio debuted at the CES has been garnering all kinds of praise (thought they won't say what's inside it or what the price point is). If the price is right, I'll happily sell the Iconia and pick Vizio's new tab up.

Honestly, I really liked the VTAB, I just wish it had a little more horsepower and I would have been SOLD.

Xphyle

ronk1030

Dec 31, 2011
I enjoyed working and talking with you guys and gals.
Special thanks to rprr and marvin02 for their invaluable contribution to this board.
Root+32gb "internal" storage I enjoyed.
But I have made a decision.
I am going to return my Vizio.
Vizio update build 1.9.157 closing root w/o any improvements has contributed to this decision.
I hope Vizio people read this board.

I am getting Sony Tablet S because of the superior IR capabilities and much better remote control app.
It is not rooted yet, but I hope it will be soon.

Thank you all again.

I wish you luck.

Wish me luck with my new toy.

Best regards to all.

Thinking about doing the same

Looks like a nice tablet. Does it have GPS?

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
Maine, thanks for the help. It's too late for me to return my VTAB, but fortunately, I froze up the update feature so root is still there. I'm getting my money's worth out of it, but Vizio is missing a bet by not adding some features that the hardware would support. Looks like the tablet market is getting more and more cutthroat. I may wind up giving my vtab to a son when I get a new one. Good luck with the Sony and please come round once in a while and tell us how it's working.

Oct 10, 2011
Maine, I'm going to miss your posts here as they were always informative and insightful, always taking the high road. Best of luck with the new tablet. I'll have to stop by the Sony forums to see how you are getting along.

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
Hey guys,

Hope everybody is doing fine.

Miss this board and not too crazy about the Sony board here.:D

Sony Tablet S rocks.

For those interested in the IR capabilities, Sony is way better than Vizio.

And now Tablet S is rooted.

Best wishes to you all.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Hey guys,

Hope everybody is doing fine.

Miss this board and not too crazy about the Sony board here.:D

Sony Tablet S rocks.

For those interested in the IR capabilities, Sony is way better than Vizio.

And now Tablet S is rooted.

Best wishes to you all.

I just got a Samsung 7" tablet with built in ir and Peel app and it puts the Harmony to shame as a wsy overpriced dedicated remote. Just amazing what ir adds to the usefullness and fun of a tablet.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Tablet Forum

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
I just got a Samsung 7" tablet with built in ir and Peel app and it puts the Harmony to shame as a wsy overpriced dedicated remote. Just amazing what ir adds to the usefullness and fun of a tablet.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Tablet Forum

Quanto Costo?
I looked at Samsung and it was like 500 bucks or so.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I paid $320 at a 2 day sale locally, one of those rare times when desire and opportunity cross paths.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum

Philtablet

Jan 13, 2012
Re: Maine Coon What superior IR qualities? I was amazed at the list of devices the Vizio 8" tablet could remote control. I have had the old Sony Clie remote commander option on my devices and also have seen the original remote commander by Sony. Only occasionally have the universal remotes by cable companies have been unable to program (one company that is a subsidary of another). I would guess that 70% of the folks here would be satisfied by the remote control abilities of the Vizio.

So far I have not tried to IR notes from my Sony Clie device to my Vizio and I suppose no one here would even dare to try it.

xkchief

Dec 8, 2011
Sorry to hear your gone...personally I love almost everything about the Vizio..I have one rooted and my spouse has a non rooted......The only problem I have w/ the Vizio is the battery time....I've gotten 6+ hours and no more even using "Juice Defender".....If anyone has hints for extending battery time Help would be appreciated.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sorry to hear your gone...personally I love almost everything about the Vizio..I have one rooted and my spouse has a non rooted......The only problem I have w/ the Vizio is the battery time....I've gotten 6+ hours and no more even using "Juice Defender".....If anyone has hints for extending battery time Help would be appreciated.

I'm sure you have already considered these, but turn the screen brightness down as low as you can stand, keep the time out low and avoid live wallpapers. The screen is one of the biggest battery drains.