It's another "Help! I don't know what to get!" thread...

fa11enxangel

May 10, 2012
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to this, and I'm after a tablet for my journey to and from work.

My mum is saying she will buy me one for my birthday next week, and so I'm looking for something on a budget.

I would ideally like to be able to use the 3G USB dongle I have to connect to the internet - though I don't know if that's possible. If it's not, then I'll need 3G capability in the tablet.

The main concern is being able to upload photographs to my work's reporting website - hence why I've decided I need an Android tab because I know it can support file management.

By on a budget, I'm meaning around £100 - or a little more, as I could contribute up to £50.

It doesn't need to be spangly and fancy, nor large - a 7" will be perfect.

Battery is kind of important, as I'd like to potentially use it for the 2hour journey into work, and for another 2 hours on the way home, and anything surplus to that is a great bonus.

I found one on minigadget that looks good, but I have only seen one (though very positive) review, and I'd like more feedback, as a lot of the terms elude me.

Mg704 Capacitive Android Tablet with 1 5GHz Processor - Android Tablet Pc - Product Details Font Color

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sophie.

Androidinabox

Mar 15, 2012
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to this, and I'm after a tablet for my journey to and from work.

My mum is saying she will buy me one for my birthday next week, and so I'm looking for something on a budget.

I would ideally like to be able to use the 3G USB dongle I have to connect to the internet - though I don't know if that's possible. If it's not, then I'll need 3G capability in the tablet.

The main concern is being able to upload photographs to my work's reporting website - hence why I've decided I need an Android tab because I know it can support file management.

By on a budget, I'm meaning around £100 - or a little more, as I could contribute up to £50.

It doesn't need to be spangly and fancy, nor large - a 7" will be perfect.

Battery is kind of important, as I'd like to potentially use it for the 2hour journey into work, and for another 2 hours on the way home, and anything surplus to that is a great bonus.

I found one on minigadget that looks good, but I have only seen one (though very positive) review, and I'd like more feedback, as a lot of the terms elude me.

Mg704 Capacitive Android Tablet with 1 5GHz Processor - Android Tablet Pc - Product Details Font Color

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sophie.

Hi Sophie, Ainol Novo 7 Aurora is a 7 inch android tablet with long battery life :)

fa11enxangel

May 10, 2012
I went for this one in the end:

CloudNine Neuropad ULTRA -- DOUBLE THE RAM AND STORAGE OF THE NEUROPAD2 with Android 4.0 Tablet - 2160p HD Superslim 7" 5 point touch Capacitive Android Tablet with A10 1.5GHZ processor NOW WITH 16GB Memory AND 1GB DDR3 RAM- Comes with Facebook, a 72

It's compatible with my 3G dongle, cheap, and seems to be really high spec for the money - I found reviews for the others I posted that were negative (looks like the sites were just using the good ones!), and the ones you guys posted were in America, and they cost a lot to ship to the UK - not to mention the massive amount of tax I'd get charged most likely!

Thank you all very much for your help and feedback though :)

Let me know what you think of the one I did get in the end (and I'll post a review once I've got it!)

Sophie.

johnvoisey

May 19, 2012
I took delivery of an MG638Plus last week.

Key requirements for me were

1. Ability to read from / write to sd/usb cards (didnt care which, actually got both with the adapter that comes with it)

2. Decent size screen - fed up of squinting at HTC Wildfire phone on train trying to read PDFdocument sent to me by client !

3. Read PDF documents and both read and write office documents. Not whole ones, just small edits off the screen keyboard. I found a free android app that did what I needed.

4. Notes, Calendars, and of course email. Again, what wasn't on it already could be found for free on Android Market (or Play Sore or whatever they now call it)

5. Battery Life significantly more and weight significantly less than the "elonex web book" I got "free" with an orange usb broadband stick from Carphone Warehouse about four years ago. Otherwise I'd use the webbook !!

6. Price an order of magnitude less than what I shelled out last month for my daughter's iPad. But hey she's a photographic artist and she can pay me back the £350 that thing cost before she pockets the proceeds from her next commission ...

To be FAIR this tablet does all of that. But it has one annoying quirk, an one probably fatal flaw.

The annoying quirk is that it can be a right swine to get a successful connection to a NEW wifi internet connection. It will sit there saying "connecting" ... "disconnected" ... ... ... until hell freezes over. The trick I found was if you were SURE you got the password right, turn it off and turn it back on again.

But the fatal flaw is the sleep / wakeup mechanism.

Try all you like but once you let the device screen go black, you are on a slippery slope.

If you see it go to sleep and immediately press the "wake up" button at the side you see a lock screen with the display at "full" brightness. This will allow you to unlock the screen by moving the lower icon over the dot that appears three quarters of the way up. HOWEVER if you give this thing the slightest chance to go to sleep for more than a second, pressing this key shows you a screen that is only half as bright as it should be. You are now "toast", no button or screen element will respond to you.

The only way out of that is to press and hold the off button for 8 seconds to provoke a hard shutdown, and then turn back on.

I tried emailing the seller (two days ago) no response yet ;-{