JellyBean support for MID7042-4?

crashfly

Jan 5, 2013
I have a Coby MID7042-4 that I purchased from newegg about 7 months ago. I ended up 'rooting' the tablet (I believe at that time with "Livesuite") and got google play on to the tablet. It has been working quite well for me.

(Now to my question.) Is there firmware with Jelly Bean that can be put on the tablet? If not, will there ever be firmware will Jelly Bean for this tablet? I like a lot of the features that Jelly Bean has (from my phone) and was wondering if it will be ported to this Coby tablet.

crashfly

Jan 5, 2013
Has there been any development toward fixing the problem with the Wi-fi?

And if not, what would it take to help fix that kind of problem?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I don't know, but to fix the problem would require essentially creating a WiFi driver from scratch.

Quite honestly, with these inexpensive tablets, is there any point in putting Jellybean on them, other than the fact that you can? After all, you have to essentially rewrite the kernel or bootloader to support booting from the MicroSD card to even get the ROM to run due to the /system partition being too small for Jellybean, then you have the WiFi issue on top of that, plus having to reuse ICS drivers because the Chinese device manufacturer that made the 7042 doesn't bother updating their tablets.

Too many issues for too little gain. Hard for me to say that since I am OCD when it comes to ensuring the PCs in the house are up to date, but it's the simple truth of the matter.