Judge Refuses Apple's Request for Injunction on Galaxy Tab 10.1; Lawsuits Help Sammy

Discussion in 'Android Tablet News' started by dgstorm, Jun 6, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It all seems so pointless now, but Apple is still pounding away at Samsung in court regarding the similarity of their Galaxy Tab 10.1 to the iPad. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) is already out and selling mildly well, making the Galaxy Tab 10.1 old news, but that hasn't deterred Apple's lawyers. They recently requested that the U.S. judge presiding over the case issue an injunction to bar the Galaxy Tab 10.1, instead of waiting for the Appellate court's ruling. Here's a quote with the details,

That's worth a laugh or two. I suppose you might admire Apple's "moxy" to try comparing dangerously mislabeled drugs to an iPad, but it's downright silly when you think about it, and obviously the judge thought so too. It seems like Apple is wasting a ton of time and money.

Ironically, we have an additional report that ties in nicely with this. Apparently, Apple may be inadvertently working against their own good with these capricious lawsuits. According to a new report, the patent fight between Apple and Samsung could actually be helping Samsung. Supposedly, unnamed spokespersons from within Samsung have indicated that the patent war with Apple is actually helping "brand awareness" for Samsung. In fact, Samsung may be actively trying to drag this patent war out and not attempt a settlement against or with Apple. It seems that the longer the fight goes on, the more people perceive the Samsung branded products in terms equal to Apple branded products. Here's what the insider had to say,

Additionally, here's a quote from the SlashGear article with more details,

You can read more about Samsung Galaxy Tab products at our sister-site: Judge Refuses Apple's Request for Injunction on Galaxy Tab 10.1; Lawsuits Help Sammy.

Source: PhoneArena and SlashGear

2. leeshor

leeshor Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
    Great news for ALL Android users. Keep the competition moving right along.

3. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    Interesting stuff. You really have to wonder what Apple is getting out of this at this point. Doesn't sound like much. Particularly since Samsung is their business partner for hardware and that relationship is not ending anytime soon. If the primary goal is to protect their iPad image, then it sounds like a big back fire, leading more to a promotion of Samsung than a protection of their iPad design. I can understand Apple wanting to remove direct clones from the market (and they have plenty to do on that front Kirf And Iphone -- Engadget & Ipad And Kirf -- Engadget) but this fight with Samsung seems to be a stretch to make any real difference in protecting their product.

I am guessing to the average consumer all smart phones and tablets look the same anyway. They notice screen size difference and that is about it. Remove all branding and put all the tablets currently in existence into a room with John and Sally Public and they probably couldn't begin to tell you which device was made by which company.

• Like Like x 4
  4. leeshor

leeshor Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
    I sometimes wonder. I'm asked a few times a week, "is that an iPad?" when what I use is a 10.1" ASUS Transformer Prime. There are a lot of people who think that really IS the only tablet.

5. Frederuco

Frederuco Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    ASUS TF101
    Leeshor,

At least yours has a metal back. Mine has a brown back, and I am constantly asked if it is an iPad.

I have to say, No, it is an Android Tablet.

The response: Ohhh....

On the flip side, I will mention something about grabbing my Tablet to someone, and they see me grab it and are like, you mean your iPad? NO, IT IS NOT A STINKING iPAD!

I suppose Scott feels the same way that their product is referred to as Kleenex....

• Like Like x 2
  6. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    I made an exception for size but in reality I get asked pretty frequently if my Nook Color is an iPad. So yes, that is really "is the only tablet" people know. Of course after I explain it is a Nook Color then "the only e-reader" people know comes out..."Oh, so its a Kindle."

Arghhh! Get me some Kleenex nondescript facial tissues, I think I'm going to cry.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  7. tazz3

tazz3 Member

suck it up apple, also apple is worryed that this can be better then the ipad