"Juice Defender" app disable cell phone battery usage?....

RoyR

Jan 1, 2012
I was griping elsewhere on this forum about how the "cell phone" seems to be using most of the power on my MID 7127.
Have any of you used the app, Juice Defender, to stop this part of the tablet from running and using battery power?

This seems like a simple solution, if it works.

Also, any comment on the app in general? I always wonder about privacy issues, intrusiveness, nagging for an upgrade, etc. But some of that is OK if I can significantly extend battery life.

Regards,

Roy

RoyR

Jan 1, 2012
Never mind my question. I've concluded that "Cell Phone Standby" is just an incorrect term. It should say System Standby. The device's system is using the power and no app is going to remove that!

I wonder why Coby (or Android) doesn't change or delete this term from the battery info screen. It certainly must generate lots of questions like mine and unnecessary calls to customer service!

R

Last edited:

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
Sadly, you're wrong. Your tablet thinks it's a phone and does indeed spend much of its battery life looking for a cellular signal.

If you're rooted and have something like Titanium backup installed, you can "freeze" the phone.apk to prevent that.

Sent from my DROIDX running MIUI

RoyR

Jan 1, 2012
How does it look for a cell signal if it doesn't have cell hardware? Or is it the software alone that keeps cycling through the "find-signal" process?

If phone.apk is frozen, battery life should drastically improve (like 4X) if the battery info readout is accurate. Is that what people experience after freezing it? I'm hoping to hear about first-hand experience from people doing this with a tablet like, or very similar to, my 7127.

Last edited:

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
I don't have your particular product. Yes, it's the software. The manufacturer of your device utilized a version of the software designed for smartphones. The software cycles through the process of looking for a signal the entire time the device is on.

This is how most of the 2.x Android devices operate. Most of the manufacturers didn't bother to disable or remove the various telephony related services and apks from the basic OS.

Sent from my DROIDX running MIUI

Odd_Bob

Dec 18, 2011
How does it look for a cell signal if it doesn't have cell hardware? Or is it the software alone that keeps cycling through the "find-signal" process?

If phone.apk is frozen, battery life should drastically improve (like 4X) if the battery info readout is accurate. Is that what people experience after freezing it? I'm hoping to hear about first-hand experience from people doing this with a tablet like, or very similar to, my 7127.

I removed phone.apk and telephony.apk from my 7127 (after backing them up to SD just in case) and my battery life seems to have improved only marginally, if at all. 3 hours of movie watching leaves me with about 40% battery, if that means anything. Haven't tried testing the battery life to exhaustion but I'd estimate 4.5 to 5 hours tops w/o wifi, which is a little disappointing. I think that's the best I'm going to get.

I read in another thread from a moderator that without a cell chip, the Kyros can't really search for a cell signal so there is no actual battery drain from it. It's a metric that doesn't mean anything. But I'm very new to the Android and tablet scene so I can't really say much on the subject.

-- Bob

Last edited: