just a few questions before my purchase.

Weapondrift

Mar 26, 2011
so forgive me for not being active in here. I asked a question a few months ago weither or not a tablet would be good for me. Someone was gracious enough to help me and for that reason I have returned.
Im considering buying a Nook Color in the morning however I first need some clarification on a few things.

1) typically when you are installing a rom on an android phone and the rom doesnt work you can simply do a battery pull and reboot into recovery then perform a restore. What do you do in the case of this happening in your Nook?
2) I dont ever see anyone downloading roms to install from Rom Manager. Does this mean its not advised or there are none?
3) what is the average battery life on the Nook Color?

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
1) There are analytical instructions what to do in order if U want to restore to stock ROM.Its not so simple as taking out the battery and just go back to recovery, but neither too complicated if U follow the steps.
2)No reason to do that from Rom Manager when U can do it from a SD card, which U can keep spare for all your future ROM upgrades.
3) Depends on usage and the rom U will install.For Phiremod ROM the battery usage is not so good.Around 1-1,5 day with careful use.

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
1. while you can't pull the battery, i've been switching roms on internal memory with CWR and have never had a freeze. It is rare that someone cannot power down/up their nook and get it back. I think in those rare instances that they're stuck, simply plugging it in to their PC via USB has brought it back to life. In other words, NOBODY has bricked their nook yet. Nobody.
2. I think you need to "pay" to download roms from rom manager. I just think people install ROMS via CWR rather than through ROM Manager for the most part.
3. rastaviper is correct. depending on the type of usage (videos/youtube vs. light reading) on stock rooted e-clair, you get 8+ hours which is plenty for a Tablet. Trust me, if you're spending more than 4 hours a day on a tablet, you need a life.. ;). CM7 is getting 5-7 hours right now for me (with 4/04 Overclock kernel). I'm pretty sure they're working on battery life right now with the latest kernel due to come out VERY soon.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
it is pretty well recognized by many of the devs and users that the nook is a very robust device - the fact that you can always boot using and SD card helps alleviate some of the fears of a flash going hayware. but if it does go haywire, i think most of potential situations have been covered already so you will most likely find a fix

At one time i screwed something up badly and my nook appeared dead - no boot up, no flickr on the screen, nothing, not even pressing the power button for 2 full minutes. Well a little bit of reading showed me how to make a bootup SD and resurrect the nook

1. while you can't pull the battery, i've been switching roms on internal memory with CWR and have never had a freeze. It is rare that someone cannot power down/up their nook and get it back. I think in those rare instances that they're stuck, simply plugging it in to their PC via USB has brought it back to life. In other words, NOBODY has bricked their nook yet. Nobody.
2. I think you need to "pay" to download roms from rom manager. I just think people install ROMS via CWR rather than through ROM Manager for the most part.
3. rastaviper is correct. depending on the type of usage (videos/youtube vs. light reading) on stock rooted e-clair, you get 8+ hours which is plenty for a Tablet. Trust me, if you're spending more than 4 hours a day on a tablet, you need a life.. ;). CM7 is getting 5-7 hours right now for me (with 4/04 Overclock kernel). I'm pretty sure they're working on battery life right now with the latest kernel due to come out VERY soon.