Just a heads up on the gps issue.

suade907

Apr 27, 2011
If you are having gps issues with connecting like I was. Taking 10+ minutes to get a lock. Don't count on exchanging being the fix. I just exchanged mine and have the exact same issues. Maybe I got a another bad one, figures with my luck. Here is to hoping they release a software fix for this issue because I'm not exchanging mine again.

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
There is an update coming from Acer to fix the GPS issue. Sorry no timeline.

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
Who's your source? Or proof. Because if this is the case ill hold on to mine instead of exchanging it.

I was on the phone with Level 2 tech support the other day about the cell standby issue and the GPS issue came up. He said it was a simple fix and an update will be rolling out. As I said no time frame was given but you are free to call them to confirm if you have any doubts.

trblsome9six

May 4, 2011
I was chatting with them online today and the rep said the same thing. He said a patch was coming out in a few days. What did he tell you about the cell standby consuming battery?

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

outdooz

Mar 21, 2011
I called them Friday and had them patch me to the head of the Acer tablet team. I waited on the phone for about 15 minutes but it was worth it. I got some good information on the acer a500 gps. They confirmed that a update ("Not a full update just a small patch") will come that will fix it. The problem is caused by power management that is reducing the amount of power that the GPS needs to function correctly. I asked about why when people exchange them, the new one sometimes works. He said its not because the old one was broken but that the new one had different SYSTEM setting that were set during the manufacturing of the tablets, that allowed the gps to get the correct amount of power. He also said the patch is already made but has to be processed by acer to make sure it is safe to send out as a update.

jhelms4461

May 1, 2011
You know fine well they will get a patch out asap, it is in their best interests to fix these things immediately , the alternative for them is customers returning product and leaving negative reviews !! which translates to poor sales !!

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
You know fine well they will get a patch out asap, it is in their best interests to fix these things immediately , the alternative for them is customers returning product and leaving negative reviews !! which translates to poor sales !!

So, how about they rush it without fully testing it and brick your device? You can't have it both ways. What are you missing from the GPS not working right this second? Acer sending out a patch that bricks devices will lose them more sales than it simply not working right. I would bet that most people who bought this tablet did not buy it simply because it has GPS. Give them a little time to work on it, so that you and everyone can be happy. :)

outdooz

Mar 21, 2011
So, how about they rush it without fully testing it and brick your device? You can't have it both ways. What are you missing from the GPS not working right this second? Acer sending out a patch that bricks devices will lose them more sales than it simply not working right. I would bet that most people who bought this tablet did not buy it simply because it has GPS. Give them a little time to work on it, so that you and everyone can be happy. :)

Well said!!!

jhelms4461

May 1, 2011
I agree i don't expect them to push out a quick fix, i did say asap, but at the same time i and many others did buy this tablet because of its g.p.s ability , it was a buying point for me, and apparently they have already pushed a product out that wasn't working correctly, why advertise it as having gps !, there was no disclaimer telling you to buy at your own risk , everything i buy i expect to be a fully functional item, unless told otherwise, thats pretty much the norm these day's ! i understand issues arise, but this particular issue should not have been missed, i think acer got caught up in the frenzy to get there product out before the onslaught of tablets begins !!! :)

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I've bought two A500's and GPS works on both of them. Bought one online and one at my local Best Buy. When I heard about this issue, I tested both. That's 100% for me and I bought at random. The issue may not be as widespread as it seems from a thread or two. You have every right to expect full functionality. You also have options. If you choose to keep it, knowing that it doesn't work right (at this moment), the least you can do is be a little patient. You are, after all, making a conscious choice. I'm sure they got caught in the onslaught. I would bet that when they were planning to release their product, they believed they had the lowest price. I think they got surprised by ASUS' aggressive move. From the little annoyances I'm seeing with these products I'd bet both companies managed to surprise the other and raced to get theirs out first, for price impact. We early adopters always gamble. Sometimes we're going to lose. In this case, I wouldn't call it a loss. Now they can take their time (so to speak) and fix this so that it's the product they meant to put out.

fatate

Apr 28, 2011
I have no problems with myGPS. First start up GPS lock within 2 min. I did first startup outside if that made for fast GPS lock on satalite.