Just another old fogey looking for advice/help - PLEASE!!

Snoops27

Feb 6, 2012
Hi guys/gals, I'm a 58yr old disabled guy who spends much of his time sitting in his wheelchair, facing either the PC or the television, or messing about with his Xperia Arc. I have owned a few Android phones and now I want to move up to a tablet as portability is not really a consideration given my disabilities and I think that the bigger screen would only add to the enjoyment I get playing around with my phone. I have been looking at a couple of tablets, namely the Galaxy Tab 10.1in., and the new Asus Transformer prime ( the one with the Tegra3 chip ). As money has to be a consideration (as I am forced to live on Government benefits), I can't afford to make a mistake by buying the wrong tablet and then regretting my purchase. I would be extremely grateful if anyone could give me some advice on the current crop of tablets + anything that might be in the pipeline and due for release in the next few months ( my better half is buying me a tablet for my birthday in June, so I'm not in any rush.). Any help or advice would be really welcome. Thanks, Snoops27....:)

Last edited:
J

jimbo7630

Hi, Snoops, welcome to the Furum. I'm sure you will be delighted with a 10" Tab but as for recommendations I'll leave that to some of our really knowledgeable people.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Snoops, welcome to Android Tablets. It's nice to have you as a member of the forum, glad you decided to join. The best place on the forum for "shopping" information and recommendations is the Android Tablet Discussions section. I'm going to move your thread over there for you so folks can discuss your tablet requirements with you and hopefully make some suggestions. Good luck!

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
Welcome to the forum! If money is a concern then I would wait. Once the prime hits good the regular Transformer should come down a bit in price. It really boils down to what you want in a tablet. The prime is nice, but it is still ahead of it's time and doesn't have alot out there to exploit it's capabilities.
What are you looking to get out of a tablet?

jmpreder

Jul 27, 2011
I have the transformer and love it. The advice to wait for the next model to release is excellent. Once the prime is out, the 101 will drop.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Snoops27

Feb 6, 2012
A big thankyou to those who have replied so far. As for what am I looking for in a tablet; it's quite hard to say but it must have a decent sized screen, the screen must be responsive (I hate having to double/triple swipe to change my homepage etc.), I'd like it to have ICS or be in line to be upgraded to same; so far I have enjoyed the HTC sense experience, some of the other manufacturers overlays? have not appealed nearly as much as "Sense", but the Flyer only has a small screen and I'm concerned that HTC will bring out something in the near future which will blow the opposition away; last but certainly not least - I'm one of those guys who always "overbuys" in the respect that I go for the top spec on anything even if I don't really need it. As to the money side of things, I'd be happy to spend, let's say $1000, as long as I didn't regret it because I'd made a mistake (that's why I normally choose top of the range items as they tend to have all the "bells and whistles" I want). Oh btw, a half decent camera wouldn't go amiss either. I look forward to hearing from you guys again soon. Again, thank for responding. Snoops...:)

Snoops27

Feb 6, 2012
lol @ jimbo

snoops, why dont you look at le pan ii? its a quarter of the budget you want to spend and is a good market entry for a tablet user.

Hi geckoT2C, I spent a couple of hours finding /reading reviews of the Le Pan and ,unfortunately, the majority of Le Pan buyers reported quite a few faults/niggles which had led them to regret their purchase. So it would seem to be a bit of a lottery as to whether you are lucky enough to get a fault-free one; on that basis I don't think I would like to take the risk. Thanks for your input anyway. Snoops...:eek:

Snoops27

Feb 6, 2012
here's a link for you to do a little homework. i selected the sort as "user ratings" but you can change that if you wish. the site also has detailed reviews on many of the tablets. hope this helps.Phone Finder and Compare[53]=1612#/phones/sort/rating/?f[53]=1612

Thanks mamawm; I hadn't come across this site b4 and it's exactly what I need to help me in making my decision. Using both the site you mention and the opinions of site members here, I'm sure I will eventually come to the correct decision. Many thanks. Snoops...

mamawm

Dec 24, 2011
Thanks mamawm; I hadn't come across this site b4 and it's exactly what I need to help me in making my decision. Using both the site you mention and the opinions of site members here, I'm sure I will eventually come to the correct decision. Many thanks. Snoops...
sorry the original link went to phones, but i'm sure you will find a lot of info over there. glad i could help.

Snoops27

Feb 6, 2012
I know it's not been released yet,but does anyone have an opinion on the Asus Padfone??????

b1lk1

Jan 15, 2012
My money goes to a Transformer with the keyboard dock. I love mine. It has been simply amazing and fits all my needs. I have put away my desktop and only use it for the last few things you can't do on android (printing mostly). As soon as someone makes a printing app for android I won't need my desktop at all.

Stick with the higher end tablets. The prime is more future proof and they have already revised them to fix the GPS/WIFI bugs. I am a sucker for ASUS, but they do make one hell of a piece.

Snoops27

Feb 6, 2012
My money goes to a Transformer with the keyboard dock. I love mine. It has been simply amazing and fits all my needs. I have put away my desktop and only use it for the last few things you can't do on android (printing mostly). As soon as someone makes a printing app for android I won't need my desktop at all.

Stick with the higher end tablets. The prime is more future proof and they have already revised them to fix the GPS/WIFI bugs. I am a sucker for ASUS, but they do make one hell of a piece.

Thanks b1lk1, unless something out of this world appears at the M.W.C., I reckon it's going to be a choice between the Transformer Prime and the new Padfone (if it gets good reviews,that is.).Many thanks, Snoops...