Just bought a Acer A500

acegt

Dec 15, 2011
but there is a problem. I noticed the manufacture date is June 2011....and I have read some where the old batch had microphone issues. Is that correct?
I'm trying to get my tablet changed for a new one with a recent manufactures date.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
They all have microphone issues since 3.0.1.
The very first version of the software had reasonably good mic performance, then Android removed the ability for the end user to set the mic volume, and the default setting is too low. Now end users have to root their tablet to be able to adjust mic volume.

Perhaps if we flood Acer with Emails complaining about the low mice volume they will set it higher.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
They all have microphone issues since 3.0.1.
The very first version of the software had reasonably good mic performance, then Android removed the ability for the end user to set the mic volume, and the default setting is too low. Now end users have to root their tablet to be able to adjust mic volume.

Perhaps if we flood Acer with Emails complaining about the low mice volume they will set it higher.

Hi Icebike,

Does this also affect a mike that's part of a plugged in headset? The reason I ask is that Skype was just updated and I tried it to see if they fixed the speaker volume control and they did. But when I try the test talk back it works but the played back sound is very low. Then I tried it with the head set mike and it was still low. I remember that when I tried it a while ago the played back sound was at a reasonable volume.

Thanks,
Gerry

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Hi Icebike,

Does this also affect a mike that's part of a plugged in headset? The reason I ask is that Skype was just updated and I tried it to see if they fixed the speaker volume control and they did. But when I try the test talk back it works but the played back sound is very low. Then I tried it with the head set mike and it was still low. I remember that when I tried it a while ago the played back sound was at a reasonable volume.

Thanks,
Gerry
No. The reason for the bad pick-up in the ACER mic is because of the feedback created by the great sound system of the ACER. If you use a headset without a mic and use the mic on the ACER it works fine because the mic detects not feedback. I tried it that way - it works great.:p

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
No. The reason for the bad pick-up in the ACER mic is because of the feedback created by the great sound system of the ACER. If you use a headset without a mic and use the mic on the ACER it works fine because the mic detects not feedback. I tried it that way - it works great.:p

Hi Douvie,

But shouldn't a headset with a mic also work reasonably well. I bought an inexpensive but nice headset a while ago so that in the future I could use Skype to make calls to the US if I'm traveling abroad. And when I bought it and tried the talk back test on Skype it worked pretty well with the only problem being that Skype then had the bug that the volume control didn't work. But the pickup from the headset mike seemed to be pretty well.

Now Skype just got updated and the volume control bug was fixed, but the pickup from the headset mic or the tablet mic is very low. Clear but very low. So I'm wondering if the comment Icebike made about the setting form the mic being set low by Honeycomb applies equally to the tablet mic or a headet mic.

I think I'm highjacking this thread so I'm going to make a new one for this topic.

Thanks,
Gerry

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Might be, but I doubt it. Try AudioManager in the market and see if it can see the mic volume in a rooted device.

If not, try some google searches on honeycomb microphone volume settings and see if you can find
where it is stored. As I recollect, it was a simple numerical setting in some text file somewhere in
the system area.