Just got my A500. Look at all that bloatware!

Zdorab

Apr 26, 2011
Anyone know how I can get rid of the dozens of crappy programs loaded onto there? Do I need to root it?

Also, what apps have you all found useful so far?

panda

Apr 25, 2011
Tried to uninstall the Lets Golf Demo but says its a system app and can't be deleted.

I do like how you can now drag and drop app icons to the upper-right to uninstall instead of going through settings.

Thomson Reuters has a nice optimized view for tablet in horizontal mode - so does the new CNN and USA Today App.

So far I'm loving the YouTube app, Chome (of course!) and the Google Books app is also really nice.

Documents was a let-down when it came to reading large pdf files and doesn't offer tablet optimized viewing options (especially in landscape mode).

WeatherBug app is also nice, optimized for tablet, and gives the temp readout in the bottom right next to the clock.

panda

Apr 25, 2011
Oh also lack of Google voice on tablet was something I didn't realize before buying the tablet, although I'm sure Google will be releasing it soon.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I thought it was just me. I've been looking for Voice and talk and couldn't find either one. However, we should be able to use voice within the browser.

I checked... you can use voice within the browser, for sure. No talk right now, though.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
Wow didn't notice the lack of voice.

To the OP yes we will need root before we can remove, rename or freeze system apps.

Last edited:

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Hmm I got mine on tuesday', ampnd it has voice and talk... can even video chat through Google talk.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Dan, where did you find talk?! I have to use voice through the browser. I must really be missing something!

Edit: Well, I'll be darned! I found Talk, right there all the time. Still didn't see Voice but I'm covered.

Last edited:

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
I may be confused--- by voice, isn't that just on the upper left, the microphone icon? I can dictate this here with the microphone on the keyboard, and notice voice commands by touching the mic button on the upper left.

What a sweet piece of hardware this is!

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
"Voice" is their phone and messaging app. It used to be called Grand Central. I have it integrated into my phone and home computer.

sontan

Apr 26, 2011
But who can you video chat with? I don't see the video chat option on my phone. That would suck if its tabs only

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
I think any laptop with a webcam. Haven't tested it yet though

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Yeah.. tapatalk was basically an unneeded expense... didn't know bout the forum app before I downloaded it...