Just ordered a Coby Kyros MID7015-4G

bitblaster

Jan 17, 2011
Hi all!
I just ordered a Coby Kyros MID7015-4G from Overstock.com

I'm anxiously awaiting it to arrive.

I have a few questions, though...

There is all this talk about "rooting" the device... what exactly is that?

I want to use the device for many things I use my laptop / netbook for... chatting, instant messenger, going online, and such.

What is the benefit of rooting your device?

It says it has a USB port, can I plug a USB flash drive in to it?

My computers run either Mac OSX or Linux, I'm assuming I won't have a problem?

I've seen other app market places... if I wanted to go to a different market place, what would I need to do? Rooting the device seems interesting but I don't want to break it.

Thanks

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Welcome bitblaster.
androidtablets.net is a good place to learn answers to your questions.
Read the threads that are already there.
Search the threads.
Add a post to a relevant thread and your post will be seen by others on the thread discussing the same topic.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
"Rooting" refers to gaining full administrative access to your device. Android developers locked certain directories and files to prevent unauthorized access and manipulation. Rooting basically allows users proper access again. As of yet however we have learned the Kyros MID7015 model is open by default, which means certain actions can be completed without the need to root, but I would still recommend doing so.

The Kyros is great for all things portable- email apps work awesome, instant messaging apps work awesome, the internet browsers work great including with social networking sites. I honestly couldn't have found a better tablet for the price range, I'm very happy with my Kyros.

I'm not sure about syncing files with MACs as I don't have any, but you will have absolutely no problems with Linux and your Kyros (android is linux kernel based).

Google Marketplace can be easily installed through a simple procedure which is listed in a sticky in this forum, check it out. As for alternate marketplaces, I'm not sure how you would go about installing them...unless they come available in an .apk package which means they can just be installed like other applications.

bitblaster

Jan 17, 2011
Thanks so much!

I'm anxious for it to arrive.. should be by Friday at the latest.

"Rooting" refers to gaining full administrative access to your device. Android developers locked certain directories and files to prevent unauthorized access and manipulation. Rooting basically allows users proper access again. As of yet however we have learned the Kyros MID7015 model is open by default, which means certain actions can be completed without the need to root, but I would still recommend doing so.

The Kyros is great for all things portable- email apps work awesome, instant messaging apps work awesome, the internet browsers work great including with social networking sites. I honestly couldn't have found a better tablet for the price range, I'm very happy with my Kyros.

I'm not sure about syncing files with MACs as I don't have any, but you will have absolutely no problems with Linux and your Kyros (android is linux kernel based).

Google Marketplace can be easily installed through a simple procedure which is listed in a sticky in this forum, check it out. As for alternate marketplaces, I'm not sure how you would go about installing them...unless they come available in an .apk package which means they can just be installed like other applications.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010

Is the USB port really host-capable as I believe I have read? I looked at one in a store yesterday, and it only has a mini-USB port, which does not match with pictures I have seen that show a full-size USB port, and that is what I would think would be needed to have host functionality to plug in flash drives, keyboards, etc. Are there 2 different models in this regard?

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Is the USB port really host-capable as I believe I have read? I looked at one in a store yesterday, and it only has a mini-USB port, which does not match with pictures I have seen that show a full-size USB port, and that is what I would think would be needed to have host functionality to plug in flash drives, keyboards, etc. Are there 2 different models in this regard?

Nope, there is a microUSB to USB adapter that comes with the device. Basically the microUSB port works exactly as a standard USB with the adapter. The adapter plugs in, and you can connect Keyboards, Mice, and Flash Drives accordingly.

You'll see what I mean when it arrives.

bitblaster

Jan 17, 2011
Thanks. It will arrive tomorrow... I'll let you all know my experience with opening it up and such once I get it.

Can I order spare miniUSB to USB cables? I have a tendency to lose things like that.

Nope, there is a microUSB to USB adapter that comes with the device. Basically the microUSB port works exactly as a standard USB with the adapter. The adapter plugs in, and you can connect Keyboards, Mice, and Flash Drives accordingly.

You'll see what I mean when it arrives.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Not sure if you can order spares from Coby, I don't see why they wouldn't supply the option. But I know for a fact you can buy various adapters from electronic and computer stores (Best Buy, CompUSA, TigerDirect, NewEgg). I'm sure Amazon might even have something.

bitblaster

Jan 17, 2011
Yeah. After a search on Amazon I found them, for under $2 a piece.

Not sure if you can order spares from Coby, I don't see why they wouldn't supply the option. But I know for a fact you can buy various adapters from electronic and computer stores (Best Buy, CompUSA, TigerDirect, NewEgg). I'm sure Amazon might even have something.