Just Picked Up New Nexus 7 32 GB (2nd Gen)

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
Pre ordered it @ Best Buy yesterday and they sent me an email stating that the intended release date had been changed to today. Immediately canceled my online order and reserved one at my closest Best Buy store. Just picked it up and it's charging now. :cool:

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
$1stvs2nd 002.jpg
$1stvs2nd 003.jpg
$1stvs2nd powerbrick 001.jpg

Last edited:

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
Initial thoughts:

The weight reduction - while seemingly not that significant on paper - can really be felt when handling the tablet. I didn't expect it to feel lighter in my hand(s) but it definitely does. Also has a nice solid/quality feel.

Speed & fluidity of the tablet in general is better than the original N7, but to be fair the original N7 I have (only about a week old) is very speedy. I'll be playing with more apps during the day to see if that holds true.

The included USB data/charging cable is too short IMHO - just like the original. The actual charging wart is different than the original, but about the same overall size.

The screen is a lot brighter than the original - a big improvement and very noticeable.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks for following through with the comparison. MUCH sooner than I expected.;)

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
Have been playing around with the device for a few hours now. For everyone who has complained that the new version isn't a big change from the original need to hold and use them both before they make that statement again.

IMHO the new device is a big improvement due to many small changes instead a few major ones.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Actually I updated a Nexus 7 (1st gen) to Android 4.3, and it feels more smooth overall. I don't think the fluidity is much of an issue after the update for most users.

What really would push me over the edge for the 2nd gen is a combination of standby battery life (Qualcomm Krait 300 is godly compared to Tegra 3), screen quality, stereo speakers, thickness, and weight. This is a great deal. The SoC in this is basically lower binned Snapdragon 600 rebranded as S4 Pro. Read the anandtech review and can't wait for this to come to Canada.

If your first gen Nexus 7 is only a week old, I'd even consider returning that for the 2nd gen.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
If your first gen Nexus 7 is only a week old, I'd even consider returning that for the 2nd gen.

I agree totally with my fellow countryman, xaueious. Why punish yourself and your family. I mean, what did they do wrong not to deserve the best. And, 2 new Nexus 7 II tabs are definitely better than one. Take it from someone who can't even get his hands on only one in this backwater of a country, called Canada.

LuvMusic

Dec 12, 2010
Just got back to the states and immediately placed an order at my local BestBuy for one. I skipped the first Nexus 7 and am still using an original Samsung Galaxy Tab (7in). Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow! Tried to place the order while in Europe, but, " no go."

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Which civilized world......finally retiring my OG Galaxy Tab or returning from Europe (which was great!)? :p

Any place that doesn't provide its citizens with the opportunity to walk into an electronics store today and buy the best 7-inch tablet on the planet is underdeveloped, in my mind. Europe, included.

imarichard55

Jun 10, 2013
I agree totally with my fellow countryman, xaueious. Why punish yourself and your family. I mean, what did they do wrong not to deserve the best. And, 2 new Nexus 7 II tabs are definitely better than one. Take it from someone who can't even get his hands on only one in this backwater of a country, called Canada.

BUT YOUR MONEY SMELLS LIKE MAPLE SYRUP!! thats too bad...

I agree why not get a newer model while you can....how is the multitasking power on it?

I belive my office is getting ready to do another purchase of tablets and licenses for our mdm solution and hopefully i can get my hands on one of these bad boys.