just posted on FB page of Barnes and Nobles . NOOK... re update

theksp111

Apr 5, 2011
Why would you want to loose the ability to use your rooted nook by reverting now and waiting for an autnooter? I say block, enjoy your rootedness and then update when a new autonooter is out which should be pretty quickly after the update is released. That way you don't skip a beat.

How do we block the update? Will it prompt us or is this a setting?

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If the user is running a rooted stock BN Rom, installing CWR will NOT block updates. CWR is a back utitlity

Do you have a source for that? I have no evidence it does block the update but the general consensus in all of the threads here is that it will. There was some debate early on if it would and has since become a given that it will block OTA updates from B&N.

Edit:
Here is one expamle of such a discussion http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-about-going-back-stock-then-1-1-rooting.html. I would like to know if that is not the case so that I am not giving out bad info.

JP

Last edited:

sholmes

Apr 10, 2011
Do you have a source for that? I have no evidence it does block the update but the general consensus in all of the threads here is that it will. There was some debate early on if it would and has since become a given that it will block OTA updates from B&N.

Edit:
Here is one expamle of such a discussion http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-about-going-back-stock-then-1-1-rooting.html. I would like to know if that is not the case so that I am not giving out bad info.
There are three ways to block updates. CWM or CWR is not one of them. There are three ways to block updates. See With new update pending, what is best way to block OTA updates? - xda-developers
JP
There are three ways to block updates. CWR/CWM is not one of them. With new update pending, what is best way to block OTA updates? - xda-developers

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
There are three ways to block updates. CWR/CWM is not one of them. With new update pending, what is best way to block OTA updates? - xda-developers

Thanks sholmes. Out of the three options two are pretty much dismissed in the xda thread leaving just Use Sqllite.

The specific question regarding CWR blocking updates was asked again in the thread with no reply. This is similar to the first loop of dicussions that went around regarding this issue and it still doesn't seem to be resolved.

So the only sure thing seems to be to use the sqllite method. Until I have confirmation otherwise I will not discount that CWR may also block the update. The closest thing I can find is this reference from thecubed:

I like your method better than spoofing the build.prop of 1.1.

Would it be okay with you if I make this into a Clockwork update.zip ?

sholmes

Apr 10, 2011
Thanks sholmes. Out of the three options two are pretty much dismissed in the xda thread leaving just Use Sqllite.

The specific question regarding CWR blocking updates was asked again in the thread with no reply. This is similar to the first loop of dicussions that went around regarding this issue and it still doesn't seem to be resolved.

So the only sure thing seems to be to use the sqllite method. Until I have confirmation otherwise I will not discount that CWR may also block the update. The closest thing I can find is this reference from thecubed:

Let's turn the question around - find the thread that explains why CWR blocks update - because it doesn't exit.

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
All I know is that I am at V1.01 with CWR installed and the V1.1 update did not occur. My wifi is on almost all the time.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Let's turn the question around - find the thread that explains why CWR blocks update - because it doesn't exit.

Well, that was my point to begin with. I can find numerous threads with anecdotal evidence and group consensus that CWR will block OTA updates but nothing more than that. With all the smart people around here going with that advice, that is good enough for me and I choose to go with it too. Of course saying something enough times doesn't make it true. At worst it does nothing and at best it blocks the update so I don't see any reason not to do it.

JP :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
I have been using Clockwork Recovery (CWR) since the G1 first came out. I have NEVER received an "over the air" update while it was installed.

Just so you know that was with 2 G1's, 2 MyTouches and 2 Samsung Vibrants. So I do have some experience in this.

DISCLAIMER ....
That does not mean that you wont get the update with CWR installed. It just means that since the end of 2009, none of MY devices have updated with it installed.