Just Rooted and having a Re-Start Issue

Moody Hammer

Feb 20, 2011
Weak title for lack of a better term. I used auto-nooter for version 1.1 and things went well. An error message appeared after maybe an hour or so and the NC rebooted. When it came back up the Default books, Softkeys, You tube app, gmail and Angry Birds were gone and I'm now prompted through the LogicPD set up again.

I'm unable to sign into gmail, even after signing into youtube (through the web browser, not the app due to it being missing).

Plus, the sd card I used to root now only shows a size of 39 meg instead of 8 gigs! And it's 1:35 AM.....

All help is appreciated!

Last edited:

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Hello, welcome to forums. Answer me these :

-What error message you got ?
-Were you on 1.1 from stock or have you updated it ?

Plus, the sd card I used to root now only shows a size of 39 meg instead of 8 gigs!
As you have written the image to SD card, it is normal. You can have it back to 8GB once you format the card after rooting.

Moody Hammer

Feb 20, 2011
Hello, welcome to forums. Answer me these :

-What error message you got ?
-Were you on 1.1 from stock or have you updated it ?

As you have written the image to SD card, it is normal. You can have it back to 8GB once you format the card after rooting.

Thanks so much for replying!

- If I remember correctly (I don't), it said something about having to restart...

- The Nook was 1.0.1 and I updated it via the B&N site prior to rooting

- I put the card back into the Nook, unmounted and formatted and got the space back. Thanks!

Just now I switched the keyboard to gingerbread and it appears I have now lost my keyboard also.

Last edited:

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
have you created back up before rooting ? Also have you done completely wipe before installing 1.1 update, if you have rooted 1.0.1 earlier.

So I assume, you were on stock 1.0.1 > not rooted > updated to 1.1> Auto Nooter 3.

Now try can go back into CWR while booting, if yes, restore using back up. Then you can try Auto Nooter 3 again.

Moody Hammer

Feb 20, 2011
have you created back up before rooting ? Also have you done completely wipe before installing 1.1 update, if you have rooted 1.0.1 earlier.

So I assume, you were on stock 1.0.1 > not rooted > updated to 1.1> Auto Nooter 3.

Now try can go back into CWR while booting, if yes, restore using back up. Then you can try Auto Nooter 3 again.

I did not create a backup.

I updated to 1.1 before I ever rooted.

Your assumption is correct.

Any idea what would happen to make some apps disappear? should I try to go back to stock and start again? I wasn't doing anything tricky when it rebooted and caused these issues.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
First, if you have no issues except apps disappeared, then you might want to try installing those apps. But, thing is with auto nooter 3, all apps should be there. So it is better to go back and try again.

Also, people with Auto Nooter 3 are facing issues. You might also want to try, rooting 1.0.1 and then installing pre rooted. I suggest you this.

Moody Hammer

Feb 20, 2011
Besides losing the apps, it's like some of the rooting became undone as I've lost the ability to sign into Gmail and the device acts like it's the first time I've turned it on whenever I reboot.
If I understand correctly, I should get back to stock 1.01 and then root. I can then update to 1.1 after rooting?

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
No, after rooting you cannot update directly. Instead you have to put pre rooted 1.1.

Read this post http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-color-awesome-rooting-ocing-custom-roms.html

or

Follow these steps :

1. Restore to 1.0.1 [either by 8 boot interrupts or by this http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html ]

2. Root using Auto Nooter for 1.0.1 [ Download Link ]

3. Then install CWR [ http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html ]

4. Install Pre rooted 1.1 [ http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/7127-rom-nook-color-v1-1-0-pre-rooted.html ]

If you still have single doubt, feel free to ask before doing anything.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Weak title for lack of a better term. I used auto-nooter for version 1.1 and things went well. An error message appeared after maybe an hour or so and the NC rebooted. When it came back up the Default books, Softkeys, You tube app, gmail and Angry Birds were gone and I'm now prompted through the LogicPD set up again.

I'm unable to sign into gmail, even after signing into youtube (through the web browser, not the app due to it being missing).

Plus, the sd card I used to root now only shows a size of 39 meg instead of 8 gigs! And it's 1:35 AM.....

All help is appreciated!

Just to throw something else out there, since your SD card was still using the autonooter image (showing 39megs); when the original error appeared causing the NC to reboot, it actually ran the autonooter again since it was still imaged that way and still in the NC. So you got a hosed up reboot/restore procedure.

Follow the link AVI gave to revert back to 1.0.1 stock. Then you should root @ 1.0.1 (its a more stable rooting path). Then you should sideload the 'pre-rooted 1.1 update' to get up to date with B&N versions while staying rooted. Once you've done that, make a nand backup which is in the How-to Clockwork thread here.

Also, make sure you read the steps very carefully! It sounds like this all started because you did not remove the autonooter imaged SD when you were supposed to. Read twice or thrice, and nookies play nice!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Just to throw something else out there, since your SD card was still using the autonooter image (showing 39megs); when the original error appeared causing the NC to reboot, it actually ran the autonooter again since it was still imaged that way and still in the NC. So you got a hosed up reboot/restore procedure.

Follow the link AVI gave to revert back to 1.0.1 stock. Then you should root @ 1.0.1 (its a more stable rooting path). Then you should sideload the 'pre-rooted 1.1 update' to get up to date with B&N versions while staying rooted. Once you've done that, make a nand backup which is in the How-to Clockwork thread here.

Also, make sure you read the steps very carefully! It sounds like this all started because you did not remove the autonooter imaged SD when you were supposed to. Read twice or thrice, and nookies play nice!

I was going to say the same thing, but then read your post faceman...that is exactly what happened.

Moody Hammer

Feb 20, 2011
Got back to stock and ran auto-nooter 2.12.25.

I am unable to access the menu in Youtube to sign in to my channel. The softkey program arrow brings up what looks like a menu, but hitting it does nothing.
<-- figured it out...

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Got back to stock and ran auto-nooter 2.12.25.

I am unable to access the menu in Youtube to sign in to my channel. The softkey program arrow brings up what looks like a menu, but hitting it does nothing.
<-- figured it out...
Open your extras tray and run softkeys...make sure you set it to default...it should work

No trees were harmed in the sending of this post

Moody Hammer

Feb 20, 2011
Open your extras tray and run softkeys...make sure you set it to default...it should work

No trees were harmed in the sending of this post

I actually rebooted and set softkeys as default when prompted. Thanks for helping! I'm about to sideload the latest firmware I think.