KDE Enthusiast, Aaron Seigo, Builds Spark, the First Tablet with Plasma Active Pre-in

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
KDE Enthusiast, Aaron Seigo, Builds Spark, the First Tablet with Plasma Active Pre-installed

by Chinmoy Kanjilal | Sunday, 29th Jan 2012 |

Apple’s iPad has dominated the tablet market for quite a few years now. Nonetheless, many Android tablets have taken a shot at the iPad, and according to recent stats, they are succeeding. The tablet space is finally seeing some fair competition, now that Android tablets have captured 20% of the tablet market. Now, a new player has entered the tablet space. Aaron Seigo has revealed a new tablet called Spark, based on the KDE Plasma Active interface.

spark-android-tablet.jpg

The biggest complain that open-source advocates have against Android, is that all the Android development done by handset manufacturers happens behind closed doors. This goes against the true philosophy of Open Source. This Plasma Active based tablet, developed by Aaron Seigo and team, aims to change this scenario. This tablet will be unlocked, and will sport a Linux stack, making it open in every possible form. The hardware specs of Spark are given as

The hardware is modest but compelling: 1 GHz AMLogic ARM processor, Mali-400 GPU, 512 MB RAM, 4GB internal storage plus SD card slot, a 7″ capacitive multi-touch screen and wifi connectivity.

Moreover, the price of the tablet is 200 euros or a decent $260, which is acceptable for the features it has to offer. The Spark tablet has big ambitions for the future.

The people who get to use these tablets will have in their hands a device that is more than an application bucket that sees them as a consumer. They will have a device that places value on who they are and what they are doing. This lies at the heart of Activities in Plasma Active and the open software stack will drive that trend further.

Let us see if it is able to capture the interest of the regular tablet consumer and the open source enthusiast.

Last edited:

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
This tablet definitely captures my interest! And I think ill end up buying it too, when I have the spare change.