Key differences between new Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and Motorola Xoom

plucier

Jun 4, 2011
Hi, I've been looking very closely at the Motorola Xoom (thanks for the suggestion Droid-Xer). Just as I was about to buy it, I came across some articles about the new 10.1 inch Samsung Galaxy that will be released in a couple of weeks.

The key differences that I see are that the Galaxy will have a smaller form factor, and be a little lighter. Other than this though, I think the Xoom may still hold some advantages. Rear 5 megapixel camera to Galaxy's 3. Has a micro USB port and micro HDMI port. I haven't seen any videos or read anything that says the Galaxy will have a USB port. I haven't tried it, but I'm hoping that the Galaxy's micro USB will allow the direct connection of USB keys and external hard drives if you use a micro USB to female USB adapter. Can anyone confirm this?

The internal specs seem pretty much the same (1Gb dual core processor, 1GB RAM, same storage sizes, micro SD port for expansion, etc).

Does anyone else know of any additional differences that would sway a buyer either way?

Thanks!

Paul

DarylH

Jun 14, 2011
I own a XOOM and can't recommend it enough. I can see it replacing my laptop completely once I've purchased an office app. The only let down with the Xoom is that it cannot be charged via a USB cable, it has a seperate charging lead, possibly because a USB cable couldnt provide enough power. However, besides that, the XOOM is faultless. Yes, it probably is slightly heavier than the Galaxy Tab, but in my opinion, the weight, just helps remind you that you're using a high end, high quality device.

That's probably quite a biased view, however my friend has just ordered a Tab, so once he's had a few days with that i'll get him to post his views

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Tablet Forum

forza_

May 12, 2011
Specification-wise they don't differ all that much, you're right about that. When you decide about those two, it basically comes down to what you value in a tablet.

My favourite is the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer though, by a mile. Mainly because of the QWERTY-keyboard docking station that comes with it. The docking station also offers about 8 hrs of extra battery time (standby) and two extra USB 2.0 slots. For replacing a laptop I would certainly go for that one.

eilerc

Jun 20, 2011
I also vote for the Transformer..even without the keyboard/dock. Awesome device...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum