Killed the Video on my 7015A

ckuter

Apr 4, 2011
Just got a new 7015A. Rooted it. I downloaded and installed Angry Birds Rio from Coby's AppsLib. When I opened Angry Birds for the first time, the screen was filled with horizontal colored lines. I heard the Angry Birds music, but no video. I did a reset (button on back) and a factory reset (power button and silver button). I continue to get the horizontal lines.

How do I get this working again?

Thanks

ckuter

Apr 4, 2011
The problem is the make the display useless. I cannot see the icons that should be on the screen. Is there a way to attach the 7015 to a PC and operate it from the PC? I have seen references to Android SDK / adb and I don't know if that is an option or not?

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Can you get into recovery mode by holding down the power and silver button at the same time? If so, you can try doing a wipe and factory reset from there and if that doesn't work download the ROM and try re-flashing it. Hope this helps.

ckuter

Apr 4, 2011
Can you get into recovery mode by holding down the power and silver button at the same time? If so, you can try doing a wipe and factory reset from there and if that doesn't work download the ROM and try re-flashing it. Hope this helps.

Where can I find the ROM? I cannot read anything on the screen. I think the installation of Angry Birds Rio must have jacked up the display settings somwhow?

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Are you saying the screen is messed up even when in recovery mode? If so it sounds like a hardware problem. Angry Birds should not have totally trashed the video. You may have gotten a bad unit since you say it is new.
Recovery mode is loaded like a basic bios system and you should have clean video unless something is wrong with your hardware I do believe.
When you say you did a factory reset with the power button and the silver button do you mean you got to the recovery menu and selected 'factory reset'? If you have a normal screen in recovery mode then it may be fixable by reloading the update ROM.
You can download it from the Coby Kyros homepage, selecting the update option then there is a button at the bottom to download the zip file. Or you can even try the old 7015 original ROM which is available in another thread here to at least get you back to a useable state.
But again, if you don't even have good video in recovery mode it sounds like hardware to me.

ckuter

Apr 4, 2011
The screen is messed up in recovery mode. When I hold the power and silver buttons down, the colors of the lines change. I think the 7015 is responding to commands sent to it. I cannot read the available options however.

I will try to download the UPDATE.ZIP, and take a stab at it. The video on the Coby site includes the recovery menu. I will try to flash by replicating the woman's steps, even though I will be "flying blind". Thanks for your comments. Fingers crossed.

I bought this from a woman on eBay. She claimed it was new. Coby Support said no warranty as I bought it from an individual.

ckuter

Apr 4, 2011
bump... Isn't there a process to load a new ROM by pushing it in from a PC. The original ROM was installed in this type of manner. I wanted to check this out before I junk a 7015 with only a couple of hours on it.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
You can probably do it or even the mali.ko file which is the GPU driver. It will take installing the SDK and ADB driver on your computer. I haven't messed with the SDK but many here have. There are posts about pushing files that may give you some insight into how to do it. You could extract the mali.ko file from the update.zip and try pushing it. Hopefully someone here will reply who knows more about the process.

In this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...id7015-graphics-fix-angry-birds-others-6.html
Ridgeland talks about pushing the mali.ko file.

Last edited:

WhiteWhiskers

Mar 11, 2011
Isn't there a process to load a new ROM by pushing it in from a PC.
With ADB you can push an update.zip file on the SD card, force a reboot in recovery, but then you're still hosed because you can't see the recovery screen to select and install the update.zip file. You'd be operating blind. But there's still hope for you and your Coby. Try the fastboot method as described here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-tablets/8904-rooting-disaster-kyros-7015-a.html
Does seem odd that Angry Birds Rio would kill your video. Either the tablet has a hardware fault or there was some kind of ticking timebomb created when you rooted the device.