kindle app for coby 9742

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
I can't seem to get the kindle app to work. It gets all the way through downloading te book then it closes the app. Has anyone got it working on the coby 9742?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I'll download it and let you know if it works on my 9742. I personally use Aldiko and CoolReader for my ebooks, so I don't generally bother with the Kindle app.

UPDATE: Downloaded Les Miserablés by Victor Hugo without problem. Possibly a bad WiFi signal or else your configuration differs from mine.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The majority of my electronic book collection, based on download date, predates the Kindle. In fact, some of it predates Android itself. Thus I had never seen the need to get either a Kindle or the Kindle app, even though my Dell Streak had it preinstalled.

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
I'd be happy if I could convert the kindle books to e books. I just want to be able to read them on the tablet. Right now I read them all on my phone, it's pretty small, lol.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
While Amazon's book formats can be converted to EPUB or TXT versions usable in other readers, there is an issue of legality. Most ebooks, except for some classics from Amazon and Google as well as ones from outlets like Project Gutenberg, have DRM restricting the devices the ebooks can be used on. Stripping DRM in the US, even for normally lawful purposes such as setting the file up for use in your book reader app of choice, runs afoul of the DMCA. So unfortunately, while I can tell you it can be done, I can't tell you how it's done.

Now, on the topic of using the Kindle app itself, other than rooting your tablet have you made any modifications to the tablet, such as applying my tweaks?

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
i have not, i rooted and ran the google apps package. Is there a thread for your tweaks? I'll see if that helps!

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
I installed your tweak from clockworkmod and now google play wont start. I force stopped it and framework and cleared the data on both, still won't start. should I remove it and reinstall it from google? Also tat didn't fix the kindle app, i removed it and was going to reinstall it but google play wont start.

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
well, after posting that, i closed it and tried google play again and it is working. the kindle app still doesn't work though.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I honestly think your issue is WiFi related, since we've ruled out anything related to app permissions and the Play Store.

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
I honestly think your issue is WiFi related, since we've ruled out anything related to app permissions and the Play Store.
hmm. The wifi seems to work great for eveything else? The kindle app downloads, I sign in fine, it loads all the books to the archive, I can pick a book, it downloads it to the device, then the app closes when it tries to open it.