Kindle Fire vs. Nook Color spec breakdown

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Kindle Fire vs. Nook Color spec breakdown By: Donald Bell September 28, 2011 8:59 AM PDT

nookfire.png

The Amazon Kindle Fire vs. the Barnes & Noble Nook Color.
(Credit: Amazon)

In the aftermath of Amazon's Kindle Fire announcement, the world of budget-priced Android e-reader tablets just got a whole lot more interesting. If you're curious to see how the Kindle Fire stacks up against its closest competitor (the Barnes & Noble Nook Color), here's a handy spec-by-spec breakdown.

Dimensions7.5 x 4.7 x 0.45 inches (HWD)8.1 x 5 x 0.5 inches (HWD)
Weight14.6 ounces15.8 ounces
OSCustom Android forkCustom Android fork
Processor(Unknown) dual-coreARM Cortex A8-based Ti OMAP 3621 @ 800 MHz
RAMUnknown512Mb
Storage8GB8GB
Front cameraNoNo
Rear cameraNoNo
Battery8 hours (Wi-Fi off)8 hours (Wi-Fi off)
Charge typeMicro-USB; computer charge OKMicro-USB; requires wall adapter
3GNoNo
Wi-Fi802.11 b/g/n/x802.11 b/g/n
BluetoothUnknownNo
Screen size7 inches (IPS)7 inches (IPS)
Pixel density169 dpi169 dpi
Resolution600x1,024600x1,024
Book storeAmazonBarnes & Noble
App storeAmazonBarnes & Noble
Book formatsKindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, DOC, DOCX, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX))EPUB, PDF, DOC, TXT, DOCM, DOCX
UnsuportedEPUB, LIT, LRZ/LRX (Sony)LIT, AMZ, LRZ/LRX (Sony)
Video formatsMP4, VP8MP4
Music formatsNon-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAVMP3, MP4, AAC
Photo formatsJPEG, GIF, PNG, BMPJPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP
MicroSDNoYes
Adobe FlashYesYes
Other featuresCloud storage backup, Wireless sync, Media bookmarks, Whispersync, Amazon Silk Web browser, Free month of Amazon Prime, Video rentalNook Friends, in-store specials, Newsstand, unique e-book content for children
Price$199$249

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Nice chart. No Micro SD is a deal breaker. Among other things it means that it will be much more difficult to recover if you lock it up than the Nook. Birckable and almost unbrickable makes the choice easy for anybody that is on this forum and thinking about or already playing with a modified Nook.

Some of the "disadvantages" of the Nook are fixed when you root. For example according to the chart the Nook doesn't have bluetooth ;)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Excellent points JP. I feel much more comfortable knowing I've got a bootable ClockworkMod SD with my backup images (including my stock 1.2) tucked away, just in case. Also, though you're too modest to mention it, that pretty much blows your CM7 on an SD card out of the water.:cool:

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah no MicroSD is a definite deal breaker. Not really a surprise though-Amazon wants everyone to be in the cloud.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
We got the nook and "adjusted it" to our needs and likes..... we are not going to buy the kindle but people who don't have a tablet yet, they all are going to get the kindle, it has everything that one "thinks" he wants from a tablet, starting from the price. And as a.matter of fact, it looks like the whole world pre- ordered it already!
Gg

Sent from my using Android Tablet Forum