Kindle Touch as a PDA

DonSchaeffer

Jun 24, 2013
I can't find the post this morning. Yesterday someone was looking for a PDA kind of device that he could use in business to store data. A suggestion occurred to me last night. I have a simple Kindle Touch which I bought for about $70. With free apps from the Amazon store I use it to keep phone numbers, number lists, passwords. It has a calculator, a timer/stopwatch, a good calendar. It's very small, light and efficient without too much fancy stuff. It doesn't access the internet well (except to download books and apps), but it plays games and audio files. It's a great and undemanding tablet.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I can't find the post this morning. Yesterday someone was looking for a PDA kind of device that he could use in business to store data. A suggestion occurred to me last night. I have a simple Kindle Touch which I bought for about $70. With free apps from the Amazon store I use it to keep phone numbers, number lists, passwords. It has a calculator, a timer/stopwatch, a good calendar. It's very small, light and efficient without too much fancy stuff. It doesn't access the internet well (except to download books and apps), but it plays games and audio files. It's a great and undemanding tablet.

Hi, Don.

I found the post you were looking for and forwarded a copy of your reply to the poster. The following is a copy of the original post by kennerd.

[h=2]Hope I don't regret my new android purchase - Hi everyone![/h]
About a week ago, I decided I needed a pocket PC of some kind. I didn't consider android tablets at all to start with, but was looking on ebay at old PDAs like Palm Pilots at first, then HP iPAQs with wifi (almost bought one, glad I didn't) until yesterday I came across a Polaroid 4.3" tablet running Ice Cream Sandwich on ebay for only $50 and it was like opening a new door.

I was aware of how cool the Android tablets were but never dreamed they were available at such a low price. I did some more researching and finally decided today on a Mach Speed Trio 4.3" from Walmart with the expectation I could go to the store and pick it up the following day, as indicated in the online order. It's bought and paid for but a couple hours later I get an email saying it's not available for store pickup until next week. Grrr!

OK fine, I can wait but as I was researching for info I found this great site, and searched for my model but came up with zero hits on the 4.3" model. This makes me a bit nervous. I have plenty of time to cancel my order and change it. I'd rather not get a 7" screen at this time, seems a bit on the big size for fitting into a pocket.

I found out after the fact that Google Play Store isn't supported, it uses the Amazon Appstore instead. I can live with that I think. My requirements aren't very demanding, I don't play games much, only need basic utility apps for the most part. Heck, I was using an old Palm Pilot to keep notes and was almost happy with that until the batteries went dead yesterday so a little Android tablet will be a hundred times more useful to me.

I am a self-employed handyman and need a tablet for keeping records & taking notes while out & about, most of my clients have wifi in their homes or I can get it a the occasional cafe or restaurant. I've never had a cell phone and would rather not have one. Most of my communication is email or Facebook messaging, but if I can use my tablet for occasional voice on Google or FB that would be cool.

I don't have much interest in rooting or other geek stuff but that can change :) I just want something that works and fits in my pocket!​