Known problems?

LoveJC03

Jan 11, 2012
Are there any known problems with the 8'' Vizio tablet? Are there any common issues people are having?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If you haven't already you may want to read trough the threads in this section as the issues are openly talked about and easy to find. The big issues are (1) the SD card in not accessible in the traditional sense for Android devices and (2) adhoc wireless networks are not supported. Both of these can be overcome by rooting the tablet. However, you can only root if you are on software version 1.4. Updating to 1.5 breaks existing root and prevents rooting.

LoveJC03

Jan 11, 2012
Yeah I read about the sd card problem.. seems kinda weird. What is an adhoc wireless network? I have bellsouth.net wireless I hope that's okay to use. I have never rooted anything I hear that voids warranty. Thanks.

cyorke

Dec 15, 2011
ad hoc is normally used to tether a wifi enabled device to your phone so you can access data through your wireless provider. for high speed internet connection through wifi you should not have a problem.

I have had my refurb unit purchased from woot since Christmas and have had no concerns.

ariggs1

Jan 14, 2012
The app launcher crashes as regular as clockwork. This is my first ever android device and I have to say that I am not very impressed. Compared to ios this is laggy. I won this vtab in a raffle at work. Free tab too bad but buying it? I hope Vizio updates to android 4.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Oct 10, 2011
The app launcher crashes as regular as clockwork. This is my first ever android device and I have to say that I am not very impressed. Compared to ios this is laggy. I won this vtab in a raffle at work. Free tab too bad but buying it? I hope Vizio updates to android 4.

I've had mine for over 3 months now and the app launcher has never crashed. Comparing operational speed to a tablet that costs 3 times as much is hardly fair. Still waiting to see what kind of tweaks have been made when Honeycomb update arrives.

Zina_berry

Dec 5, 2011
The other day while using my tablet the screen started pixalating (<-- IS that a word?) then the screen turned white. Thank God it fixed itself after I powered it off a couple of times. It's worked fine since. BUT, I did back everything to the sd card using the sandisk app. :)

Hedgehog000

Nov 20, 2011
Speakers a little weak gps sporadic, otherwise good at everything I want.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
If you haven't already you may want to read trough the threads in this section as the issues are openly talked about and easy to find. The big issues are (1) the SD card in not accessible in the traditional sense for Android devices

I don't understand this?
I own one of theses and if you are holding the tablet with the button on top, the SD card access is on the bottom left side under a small plug door not any different than any other tablet or phone, and not as bad as some where you have to take the back off the phone. At least with this you just open the plug door and slide your SD card in or out like any other thing.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
OP.
When I first tried the GPS it took well over 7 min to get a lock, this was with GPS Fix running first and with my wifi on, I then read a bit of information about the first time runs of GPS and why it takes so long. The second time I ran it I did so without running GPS Fix and I turned my router off so it had to use the GPS satellites only to get the fix. Second round took about one min, and that was without wifi to help speed up location.
So all in all I would say that GPS can be slow but not bad considering my cell phone takes less than 2 sec to get lock.
I have had a few apps crash on start up but no more or less than I have had with any other devices in the almost month and a half that I have had it. Just have to remember that these are small computers and need to be turned off once or twice a week, just for a second.
Third thing and last was the lack of a normal home screen, these tablets come with what looks like a settings screen with all the icons on it and that is as good as you get.
Fortunately this is Android, I just went to Android Market and downloaded the VTL Launcher and set it up. Now it looks and acts like any other Android tablet.
I like my little device, have had next to no trouble out of it compared to some more expensive phones I have owned.
Keeping price in mind, giving it a rating of 1 to 10 10 being highest, and that Vizio is an American owned and run company (the product is made over seas, but at least the majority of the money stays here) I easily rate this little tablet a 10. And when the new 10 inch tablet comes out I plan on buying one if for no other reason but to support those American owned and run businesses.
Owned and run from the state of California.

Zina_berry

Dec 5, 2011
I'm sorry to say the tablet did the pixalating, white blinking streaks and finally white screen again. I went online to Vizio chat support who were not able to help. I then called the 800 number and they are going to replace the tablet. Will be tablet-less for 7-10 days. :(

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I've had mine for over 3 months now and the app launcher has never crashed. Comparing operational speed to a tablet that costs 3 times as much is hardly fair. Still waiting to see what kind of tweaks have been made when Honeycomb update arrives.

I think mine did once, but the tablet had been on over 10 days strait without restart. I just turned the tablet off and rebooted and it has been fine. Just have to treat these like anything else. Turn them off at least twice a week. Don't have to leave them off for any length of time you just need to cycle them.
Power off for a few seconds and power on.

bkaler

Oct 13, 2011
I had the loose power port connection issue, what may have contributed to it was I would sometimes be a little careless when it was charging and it was easy to bend, perhaps slightly uneven on a pile of magazines - it was nothing that I haven't done with my HTC Incredible a hundred times over but it was too much for the vtab, be very careful charging it, my advice after I replaced mine is to seldom use it while it's charging for fear of a mishap.

Other things I've picked up on:

- Video issues in streaming apps, not sure about Netflix, but many apps get a diagonal tearing effect on the screen.
- HDMI output through the mini hdmi connector didn't work for me, outputs digital fuzz or purple screen. Went to Vizio chat and they told me to call a number to get to a hidden screen, haven't called yet because I'm pretty sure when they find out I'm rooted they'll just cut me off anyhow.
- Certain root apps do not do well with it, that's probably a given for many devices but SetCPU particularly crashed a lot.
- Bluetooth devices are quite limited, headphones and the like, no support for keyboards or SixAxis, or probably most of the devices you're thinking of.