KYROS 7042 - Windows - Root/CWM Recovery- No Livesuit Needed

pimpinez

Jun 4, 2012
Kyros-7042-Root-CWM.zip

Download Kyros-7042-Root-CWM.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

I'm trying to make this easier for newbies.
Credit is do to Vampirefo, Steev, Saurik, Fun.

This zip contains a root exploit thanks to Steev, and a script for pushing CWM recovery thanks to Vampirefo.
This is a one click deal! Just extract the folder and choose your .bat file.
root.bat is used to just gain root and should work on other gen3 Kyros.
root_recovery.bat is used specific for the Kyros 7042, and will root the device as well as push CMW.
I've included SuperSU for theme flow reasons.

Update...
If you get the following error

Installing CMW recovery...
/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh[8]: cannot create /dev/block/nandg: Permissi
on denied
done
dd: can't open '/dev/block/nandf': Permission denied
reboot: Operation not permitted

try changing these lines in the root_recovery.bat
adb.exe shell sh /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
to
adb.exe shell su -c "sh /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh"

It is good practice to make a stock backup (Dump) before doing any modification to your Kyros Tablet.
Root maybe required. Credit to Steev.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices-fw_dump2.zip

here is a rom for the goodix touchscreen driver 7042 (rooted/dsp/gapps/mods))
http://www.sendspace.com/file/riembo

Last edited:

Danohall

Jun 3, 2012
Pimpinez,

Posted on the other thread last night and we had both bricked our 7042's. Did this get you back up and running? I'm at work right now and can't download your links but any additional info you could give would be greatly appreciated as far as running the file? Please reply or send me an email.

Thanks again,

Dan

pimpinez

Jun 4, 2012
yes, however my tablet freezes alot with vampirefo zips but is semi usable movies work! lol but downloading apps and trying to play games freezes the tab. Vampirefo is a good dev im sure will see good things for this tablet.

Jun 5, 2012
Speaking as a LINUX amatuer, I don't think you managed to speak to newbies. I'm mad to have the Play Store on my Kyros, but your instructions got me nowhere. Could you help me out here? I get up to extracting the files, but I dunno if I'm extractinng to the wrong directory or if there's some crucial idea I'm just missing. How do I install the .bat file?

pimpinez

Jun 4, 2012
Speaking as a LINUX amatuer, I don't think you managed to speak to newbies. I'm mad to have the Play Store on my Kyros, but your instructions got me nowhere. Could you help me out here? I get up to extracting the files, but I dunno if I'm extractinng to the wrong directory or if there's some crucial idea I'm just missing. How do I install the .bat file?
This is for windows pc's homie! It doesn't matter were you extract the zip because it contains everything inside it; its simple really, make sure usb debugging is enabled on your tablet and your adb drivers are installed. Then just double click the root.bat or the root_recovery.bat. it runs by itself and your device should boot into the CWM recovery when complete. Within this recovery you can flash roms without using livesuit by placing zips on your sdcard. However, vampirefo is the only one who has a .zip file currently... but you can replace the boot.img inside the 7042_boot.zip if your using a tablet with different touch drivers. furthermore, you could also replace his 7042_update.zip with your system dump and customize it from there. For example, adding the gapps to the system dump app directory.
btw .bat files are scripts for the windows command prompt (cmd.exe)
maybe i should make a video

view this thread
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ot-recovery-update-all-without-livesuite.html

Last edited:

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
How can I make a rom from the stock backup files? I don't know how to restore from them. My tablet is the 9742-8. I'm trying to solve it so I can help the others here too.

lbeavisc

Jun 5, 2012
how do you get cwm to load once its installed without adb?
i loaded the wrong boot.img now my touch screen doesnt work

lbeavisc

Jun 5, 2012
yeah, but what buttons can i use to boot into the cwm that this installs? the idea is to avoid livesuite. it may be the source of the problems i was having

Shini

Jun 5, 2012

rposlp

Jun 17, 2012
Kyros-7042-Root-CWM.zip

Download Kyros-7042-Root-CWM.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

I'm trying to make this easier for newbies.
Credit is do to Vampirefo, Steev, Saurik, Fun.

This zip contains a root exploit thanks to Steev, and a script for pushing CWM recovery thanks to Vampirefo.
This is a one click deal! Just extract the folder and choose your .bat file.
root.bat is used to just gain root and should work on other gen3 Kyros.
root_recovery.bat is used specific for the Kyros 7042, and will root the device as well as push CMW.
I've included SuperSU for theme flow reasons.

It is good practice to make a stock backup (Dump) before doing any modification to your Kyros Tablet.
Root maybe required. Credit to Steev.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices-fw_dump2.zip

This isnt working:

Waiting for Kyros...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
Pushing root files...
push: data/Superuser.apk -> /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
push: data/su -> /data/local/tmp/su
push: data/root.sh -> /data/local/tmp/root.sh
push: data/recovery.img -> /data/local/tmp/recovery.img
push: data/reboot-recovery -> /data/local/tmp/reboot-recovery
push: data/mempodroid -> /data/local/tmp/mempodroid
push: data/install-recovery.sh -> /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
7 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
3638 KB/s (10305096 bytes in 2.765s)
rooting...
Installing CMW recovery...
/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh[8]: cannot create /dev/block/nandg: Permissi
on denied
done
dd: can't open '/dev/block/nandf': Permission denied
reboot: Operation not permitted
Finished!
Press any key to continue . . .

rposlp

Jun 17, 2012
"This roots but to flash cmw you must enter the last 2 line manually through android term emu on the tablet. for some reason the bat can't get su I'm trying to fix it. Sorry for the late respones guys. So.. run the bat then open it with notepad and manually do the lines on your tablet. Should work! Ima try and fix it asap."

tried this and on terminal emulator gives me this:

error: device not found

edit: solved

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
What are you Trying to do? bat files need to be ran from windows.
Cannot get files to show up when in Recovery Mode.
When I start in recover mode (Volume+ & Back Button & Power-up), can navigate to the folder on the SD Card containing the files download from this thread/post.

However, when I navigate to the folder there is nothing...?
There is only the subfolder titled 'data', which upon opening also contains nothing...

Is there another program, app, or something that I need to install before my Kyros 7042 can read the .bat & .sh files?

Thanks,