Kyros 9742 camera not working

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
Thanks for all your help. I am along the lines of the other chap on this thread I thought I was good at all this stuff but I have to say that this tablet have got me a bit stumped. Not sure what to download, put where and run what. Just seem to be going round in circles reading. I am just not getting it and I am getting a bit frustrated. Thanks again for the help I will sit back and take a breather than have another go.

hi i am now giving it another go at sorting this thing, i am now trying to install cwm using the terminal on the tablet and a file manager to put the files where i want them after i had copied them to my sd card, the thing is i cant figure out where the file are to go before i run them from the terminal. any help would be great, thx

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you're running Windows I have tried to make the process as simple and painless as possible. For example, I have provided the drivers for ADB in the thread titled http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...59-basic-driver-installation-windows-pcs.html, along with a brief tutorial on how to install them. I have also provided a zip file with all the necessary files to get the tablet rooted, along with a batch file that automates both the rooting process and the recovery installation process so you're not having to play with terminals. That zip file is in the http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/45321-development-index.html along with general instructions on downloading the recovery, since the recovery images are not included with the zip file.

You have to install the drivers first, then you can run the batch file, which will save you a lot of headaches.

apchar

Sep 22, 2012
Traveller1701,
In your signature you say "A: There are files missing from \system\etc\permissions. Download this file and extract the files to \system\etc\permissions, then set permissions."
Set permissions of what to what ?
Your zip file includes a new build.prop. What changes did you make to the stock build.prop? The file says it's autogenerated by buildinfo.sh. Won't that overwrite your changes when I reboot my tablet?
Thanks again for helping us Coby outcasts.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
hi, thank you so much for your time with this i have followed what you have said and i can see from the superuser on the tablet that its been connecting to the computer and been rooted but i cannot find evidence of cwm being flashed anywwhere i even tried flashing stock but seem to hace got nowhere. thx again

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@apchar: I usually point people to the Google Earth thread in my signature since that gives a bit more detail on how to change permissions. The permissions you need to set the tweaks files to is given in that thread. The reason I do not go into significant detail in my signature is twofold:

1. I consider this more advanced modification than rooting and installing a custom recovery. It's also a modification that isn't for everyone. While copying the XML files in the zip over to \system\etc\permissions shouldn't do any harm if the permissions aren't set right, copying build.prop without changing the permissions could cause the tablet to brick, requiring a restore from a backup. Copying framework-res.apk over to \system\framework without changing its permissions beforehand is guaranteed to cause the tablet to bootloop, which will require restoration from a backup. On that last one I should know: I bootlooped my 9742 three times before I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Since this is more involved than rooting and custom recoveries, I intentionally leave stuff out. I know it sounds cold, ruthless, and decidedly unfriendly to leave stuff out. I'll be blunt: it is, but not without good reason. I want everyone to learn about their device! To do that they need to research, to read, and take the time to understand what it is they read, before they attempt to modify their device. Especially when those modifications, if done incorrectly, will render the device unusable until restored and could possibly render the device permanently unusable if the circumstances are just right.

2. I simply didn't have enough room in my signature to provide more detail, and to do so would only duplicate information given out on the Internet already.

As to the build.prop, I changed the fingerprint and the elements that make it up so the unit is seen as a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0". If you compare the stock build.prop with mine in a text editor you can see the differences as build.prop is a human-readable file. There are a few other tweaks that I've put in their own section at the bottom of the build.prop.

@kenroy: to get into CWM, shut down the tablet completely. Press and hold the volume - button down, then press and hold the power button down. Keep holding both buttons down to get into recovery. You'll know if CWM is properly installed because it will say "CWM-based Recovery by Vampirefo." in the lower left corner. Also note that the screen will be upside down. This is normal.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
hi traveller 1701. i have followed your instructions, installed drivers, downloaded the utillity, downloaded a stock image and renamed it, downloaed a cwm recovery image and renamed that, put the renamed images in the utility data file and then ran the batch file with the tablet plugged in on debug. on the pc it seems to go through the motions to flash cwm but not much happens on the tablet. and it wont reboot after it has finished but i can get it to reboot if i choose the option in the list, i have tried to boot into recovery with 2 fingers but it just goes into stock recovery, i must be doing something wrong somewhere. sorry to be a complete pain. please help. many many thx.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
It's sounding like you somehow lost root. Run the rooting portion of the batch file again, then install the recovery and see what happens.

hi traveller1701, i have tried rerooting and then flashing cwm but it is as before, seems to go through the motions but no results, i might have to write a detailed desription of what i have done and see if you think i am going wrong.
it seems to be rooted, superuser gives me that impression, i had another go it took longer to complete this time with the root and cwm flash but when i try to boot into recovery i get "Android system recovery <3e> and some choice of action ie- reboot, apply update, wipe data etc, everything seems to work how it should but i cant get the results. the thing is i am only trying to get the camera working all else is good. thx

Last edited:

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
hi traveller1701, i have tried rerooting and then flashing cwm but it is as before, seems to go through the motions but no results, i might have to write a detailed desription of what i have done and see if you think i am going wrong.
it seems to be rooted, superuser gives me that impression, i had another go it took longer to complete this time with the root and cwm flash but when i try to boot into recovery i get "Android system recovery <3e> and some choice of action ie- reboot, apply update, wipe data etc, everything seems to work how it should but i cant get the results. the thing is i am only trying to get the camera working all else is good. thx

hi again traveller1701, i have managed to get the tablet replaced, would you have any recommendations as the best way forward, should i still root to be able to have google play or go for another tablet foor the same money and if so what is good. thank you for all your help and patience even though i am a bit of a dunce.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Root, then install Clockworkmod so you can install Google apps. I never recommend using Livesuit for ANY reason so don't touch it. Plus, there are ROMs that are installed through Clockworkmod if you feel a change is needed.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
Root, then install Clockworkmod so you can install Google apps. I never recommend using Livesuit for ANY reason so don't touch it. Plus, there are ROMs that are installed through Clockworkmod if you feel a change is needed.

hi, dont get it, i ran the utility to root that worked, dumped the image that worked, then tried to flash cwm with 8042_9742_recovery from this thread "cw recovery v6.0.1.1 for coby 7042,8042" and still cant boot into clockwork recovery, i must be missing something or i have got the wrong files, any idea?. thx
[h=2][/h]

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I did find an error in the batch file, but interestingly enough it was not in the CWM recovery install section. I called the wrong script in the stock recovery installer, so anyone attempting to install the stock recovery would instead end up installing CWM. I've corrected that, but other than that there's no problems with the batch file itself.

There is, however, one thing I'm wondering: do you have extensions visible by default in Windows? If you don't, and are renaming the files exactly as I said, you are quite likely putting a double extension on the recovery file. If you have extensions hidden, you want to unhide them.

1. Open up Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer).
  2. (Windows Vista and Windows 7 Only) Press ALT to call up the Windows Explorer menu.
  3. Go to Tools and select "Folder Options".
  4. Select the View tab.
  5. UNCHECK "Hide extensions for known file types".
  6. (Optional) Under "Hidden files and folders", check "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".
  7. (Optional) Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".
  8. Press "OK".

Now all your files should show their extensions. If you renamed the CWM recovery image to cwm_recovery.img and didn't disable hiding file extensions when you did the renaming, you actually renamed the file to cwm_recovery.img.img, meaning the batch file can't find it. Since the batch file can't find the image on your hard drive, it can't replace the image on the tablet, which would explain why you're still seeing the stock recovery.

Last edited:

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
I did find an error in the batch file, but interestingly enough it was not in the CWM recovery install section. I called the wrong script in the stock recovery installer, so anyone attempting to install the stock recovery would instead end up installing CWM. I've corrected that, but other than that there's no problems with the batch file itself.

There is, however, one thing I'm wondering: do you have extensions visible by default in Windows? If you don't, and are renaming the files exactly as I said, you are quite likely putting a double extension on the recovery file. If you have extensions hidden, you want to unhide them.

1. Open up Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer).
  2. (Windows Vista and Windows 7 Only) Press ALT to call up the Windows Explorer menu.
  3. Go to Tools and select "Folder Options".
  4. Select the View tab.
  5. UNCHECK "Hide extensions for known file types".
  6. (Optional) Under "Hidden files and folders", check "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".
  7. (Optional) Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".
  8. Press "OK".

Now all your files should show their extensions. If you renamed the CWM recovery image to cwm_recovery.img and didn't disable hiding file extensions when you did the renaming, you actually renamed the file to cwm_recovery.img.img, meaning the batch file can't find it. Since the batch file can't find the image on your hard drive, it can't replace the image on the tablet, which would explain why you're still seeing the stock recovery.

thanks traveller 1701 wahoo yaya. i got the cwm, you is the man, now i am cooking on gas. i can now do the stuff i wanted. all that grief for the sake of a file setting,thank you so much. so i guess i can go and get a google pack from somewhere and install using cwm,would this be google play as this is what i have been trying to get. thx again.

Last edited:

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
I provide a link for the Google apps in the Development Index sticky. But, to save a little time for you, since you've been going at this for about a week now, Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps is the place to go.

hi thank you agian for your help, the link you have given i did manage to find before, is there a way to put google play on the tablet and if so is it from the site you gave as there seems to be no way of knowing what each of the downloads are for.
i have noticed that there was a request for firmware dumps and if so would a copy of mine be any good and how would i upload it many thanks