Kyros 9742 camera not working

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Dumps are always welcome. Just don't add the Google Apps until you do the dump.

Regarding the Google apps, you install the apps package from goo.im using Clockworkmod's "Update from zip" function. Copy the 20120429 Google apps package to your MicroSD card, boot into CWM and use the "Update from zip" option to install it.

When you reboot, the tablet will let you know it's updating files. Once it finishes that the tablet should prompt you to enter your Google account information so that the tablet can be paired with your account. Once that's done, you should be able to go into Google Play and download things. Be aware of the following:

• Facebook and Angry Birds will not be compatible with the tablet, unless the missing files I mention in my signature are downloaded, copied to the correct positions, and permissions set to rw-r--r--. There may be additional XML files I am missing, since I cannot install Tune In Radio, even with the added files. This is something I am looking into.
  • You may be able to download Google Earth, but will not be able to run it unless you change the framework-res.apk file to the customized version I made available. The second link in my signature not only explains how to properly replace the file, but also explains how to change permissions in the file. The portion dealing with changing permissions applies to all files in my signature.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
Dumps are always welcome. Just don't add the Google Apps until you do the dump.

Regarding the Google apps, you install the apps package from goo.im using Clockworkmod's "Update from zip" function. Copy the 20120429 Google apps package to your MicroSD card, boot into CWM and use the "Update from zip" option to install it.

When you reboot, the tablet will let you know it's updating files. Once it finishes that the tablet should prompt you to enter your Google account information so that the tablet can be paired with your account. Once that's done, you should be able to go into Google Play and download things. Be aware of the following:

• Facebook and Angry Birds will not be compatible with the tablet, unless the missing files I mention in my signature are downloaded, copied to the correct positions, and permissions set to rw-r--r--. There may be additional XML files I am missing, since I cannot install Tune In Radio, even with the added files. This is something I am looking into.
  • You may be able to download Google Earth, but will not be able to run it unless you change the framework-res.apk file to the customized version I made available. The second link in my signature not only explains how to properly replace the file, but also explains how to change permissions in the file. The portion dealing with changing permissions applies to all files in my signature.
hi traveller i have now got google play but fo sme reason play kept closing so replaced my rom with the stock rom MID9742_stock.zip. now all is working, thank you again you ave been a great help, I have one other issue. My file manager nor my camera cannot find my ext sd card but storage say that the card is mounted and when inserted the system tray tells me that it is. Probs something simple. Thanks

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I got tired of not being able to download TuneIn Radio from the market, so I installed Mobiz v2 today. You may want to do the same. You have CWM already, so if you wanted to try the Mobiz ROM, you can install it the same way you installed the Google apps. Mobiz includes the apps so you don't have to worry about flashing the apps package.

EDIT: The Mobiz ROM has an issue with videos playing upside down. I couldn't resolve this so I had to go back to stock. However, the Mobiz build.prop and its permissions files did solve my problem with TuneIn Radio. I'm satisfied with the results.

Last edited:

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
I got tired of not being able to download TuneIn Radio from the market, so I installed Mobiz v2 today. You may want to do the same. You have CWM already, so if you wanted to try the Mobiz ROM, you can install it the same way you installed the Google apps. Mobiz includes the apps so you don't have to worry about flashing the apps package.

EDIT: The Mobiz ROM has an issue with videos playing upside down. I couldn't resolve this so I had to go back to stock. However, the Mobiz build.prop and its permissions files did solve my problem with TuneIn Radio. I'm satisfied with the results.

hi i tried the mobiz and all is well except i still cannot access the sd card with the camera even though i can find the sd card other ways ie- play music and access files.
i do remember on one of your posts saying about the sd card needed to be made write access by some means but i dont remember what that was about or why, something to do with ics not being able to write to sd cards so wr/r/r was what was needed. please enlighten if you know what this is about.
i have also noticed that when i use file the file explorer and look at the sd and ext sd the sd is no read no write and not hidden and the extsd is user- no read no write no execute. group- read write execute and other read no write execute.
am i right in thinking that the permissions have to be changed so they can be used and if so how as i have tried but i cannot access the sd and rthe extsd am told change permissions failed.also i have noticed that my internal sd scard is now 2gb instead of 8gb, a bit of a puzzler thx.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
It's one of the tweaks in my zip file. The platform.xml file has a change to it in order to permit reads and writes to the internal memory, mnt/sdcard. The 2GB of space you mention is the (normally) user accessible portion of the total space Coby included.

Last edited:

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
It's one of the tweaks in my zip file. The platform.xml file has a change to it in order to permit reads and writes to the internal memory, mnt/sdcard. The 2GB of space you mention is the (normally) user accessible portion of the total space Coby included.

hi. i followed the the tweak instructions but i still have the issue with the camera not having a memory card, i have tried to set the permissions but i still cant change them or i am doing it wrong thx.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Ok...slow down a bit. I don't use ES File Explorer so a lot of this is going to come from memory.

You copied the files to \system\etc\permissions?
If you did, you need to select all the files you just copied and do a long press on the screen. This should open a dialog box where one of the options is the file properties. Select that and you should be able to set the files like I show in the framework-res.apk thread.

Speaking of framework-res.apk...I have a flashable zip of that file that will be posted shortly. I can then try and work on a flashable zip of these files.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
Ok that's great I am at work atm I will give the long press thing a go a bit later and let you know. Thx

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
hi., i have done the things you said but when i copied the files to permissions the files were merged not replaced, was that correct ? and i had to select the files individually to try and change the permissions to the way you said in your framework-res.apk thread. but it would seem that all the permissions were set to that already and all is the same as before. it would seem that i need to change something somewhere but what and where i dont know.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Did you go back to stock or are you still on Mobiz? If on Mobiz there should be no need to replace any files since those files are included in the ROM.

What you see as a "merge" is in fact the files being replaced. I don't recall if there is a way to select multiple files in ES File Explorer. I assume there is, but I couldn't tell you how it's done.

Platform.xml is the only file out of the set that came from my stock ROM, and it was edited by me to fix the write capabilities. The other files are simply to improve compatibility on the Play Store. I don't have any issues reading from and writing to the internal SD card, thus I do not know why you're having an issue.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
Hmm I see. I am still on the mobiz. I might have to start again and reflash as I don't quite understand what is going on either but Thx.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
It would seem that I am unable to write to the internal sd card either with cut n paste or camera.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
Hi good morning. I have tried to start again and reflash but it still the same,cannot access inner sd card. One thing I did find was that when I flashed mobiz and rebooted it looked like it was bricked (light on but nothing else), so I had to go back into cwm and fix permissions then it booted. This has happened overtime I have tried to flash this firmware.
I don't know if this is relevant to the problem.Thx.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Actually, that black screen is normal on the first boot. Mobiz is configuring itself, which takes a while. As to the read/write issue, humor me and install a different file manager and see if that helps.

kenroy

Sep 30, 2012
Actually, that black screen is normal on the first boot. Mobiz is configuring itself, which takes a while. As to the read/write issue, humor me and install a different file manager and see if that helps.
when i said about what happens on boot, i try to boot, get the coby logo then it goes off then back on then off again then nothing but if i boot into cwm annd go fix permissions it does the same but it boots, as for a file manager i have installed another and this one also says no sd card mounted.