Kyros MID-7015 and 7005 Ultimate Guide Discussion Thread

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Make sure usb debugging is on (settings-> applications-> development-> usb debugging). Also, check your usb drivers.

bachristensen

Jan 3, 2011
Dear sir,

I am having trouble with following the directions; I am in the "installing windows and ADB drivers" section, and on step 12. I have done everything up to this point but when i connected my kyros, i don't know where to go for me to be able to see the device. you say to go to the "device Manager" is this the same thing as the sdkmanager.exe. When i go there i have to option of going to "virtual Devices", but nothing is there. Where do i go for the device manager???

Probstc

Jan 3, 2011
I followed your instructions and other than a few minor glitches that I was easily able to resolve, I was able to root my Kyros, take a full backup and last but certainly not least, install Android Market (makes the preinstalled AppsLib look like a joke). I thank you for posting the information.

Now, if you ever figure out how to get Adobe Flash fully functional or how to upgrade the Kyros to Android 2.2, I would love to know!

Keep these very useful tidbits coming!

bodi

Jan 3, 2011
I am past the point where my computer should recongnize the 7015 but every time I plug it in it says found new hardware and can't find a driver for it. I have checked in my devices and the 7015 is listed, twice.

OK, figured it out. It was an error where it was listed under Android phone. I had to reinstall that driver.

Last edited:

bodi

Jan 3, 2011
I did it!!!!

Like someone else said, just a couple of minor glitches that I (finally) figured out.

Thank You!!!

wmelvin

Jan 4, 2011
Help

I am trying to root my 7015 and I am down to the section to do adb shell. I get a message that says not an internal or external command. I'm sure I can't see the forest for the tree's but what am I doing wrong?

Wayne Melvin

Delaney64

Dec 27, 2010
Although I have rooted my Coby Kyros successfully, I am wondering If I can uninstall all of the apps that do not work with it. For example, phone, voice recognition, and similar things like that. Is there an app out there that can do this or some way to get rid of them?

robn55

Jan 4, 2011
I hope someone can help me I'm so lost. First I tried to update the fireware off the Coby site and got this message:assert failed:!lees_than_int(1290686740.getprop("ro.build .date.utc))
E.Error in/sd card/update.zip (Status 7) Installation aborted.
Now I try to use the AppsLib and I get this message: A Server error occured, please retry.
Thanks in advance,
Robin

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
There's a modified update.zip available in this thread for use with clockwork recovery.

demo1962

Dec 10, 2010
Hi I'm stuck here as well but can't seem to get the terminal emulator installed on my Coby.
What is the usb keyboard? And the coby cable is that just the usb cable that came with Coby?
Please help!

Sorry I was out. On the usb cable, it came with the tablet. Use a keyboard with usb plug. Connect one end of the usb cable to your coby and other end with usb keyboard.

If problem, please let me know.

Phishhead

Jan 2, 2011
Hello. I am thinking of buying this tablet for my wife as a Christmas present. Does anyone know if it can see an ad-hoc wireless network (aka my phone's wi-fi hotspot)? I'd like for her to be able to use this while we're traveling and my hotspot would always be available.

Thanks.
Jamie

I just got done trying to tether the coby with my Iphone 3gs using MyWi and it would not see the network at all. so I am not certain that it will work with adhoc networks.

blue

Dec 23, 2010
Installing the Windows software and ADB drivers
1. Registering not required for this step
2. Cant find android-sdk-r07-windows.zip only android-sdk-r08-windows.zip
7. usb_driver folder does not exist. I dug around and found the drivers using SDKManager eventually, it created a folder google-usb_driver which contained the .inf file. I modified it as described (as opposed to using the pre-edited one I downloaded from the link thinking there might be other changes required for revision 08)
15. No messages, drivers installed, does NOT detect the kyros.

Installing ClockworkMod Recovery to back up your Kyros.
5. command not recognized, no .exe or .bat file even close. I would very much like to backup the system before I do any damage, what now?

Installing Google Marketplace
6. I expect this will not work either for the same reasons above. I did not try, I think I like the idea of the Marketplace (AppsLib keeps failing) is there another way to do this?

OK - I finally got the revision 08 instructions (use platform-tools folder not tools folder) and clockwork and market now installed. Now I wanna get rid of some apps like facebook. I will keep looking for the answer. Thanks all for the help

Last edited:

Cryptix

Jan 4, 2011
OK This took me forever to figure out, but I will detail how I got it to work since there was a bunch of stuff scattered through this post (although great freaking post!).

>> Before you begin anything (I don't know if this is crucial or not) make sure that you have the updated firmware for your KYROS MID7015
>> You can get it here, but watch the installation video first: COBY - Kyros™ Internet Touchscreen Tablet

PART 1--------------------

1. Put your device in USB Debugging mode.
-- From the main menu, press Settings, Applications, make sure Unknown sources is checked.
-- Press Development, and make sure that USB Debugging is enabled.

2. Turn on your WIFI by going to Settings, Wireless & Networks, check WIFI,and then Wi-Fi settings.
-- Select your Wi-Fi access point.

3. Since AppsLib is down, here is another website that I found where you can get a File-Manager. The Link Below is to ASTRO File Manager which I thought was really good.
-- Access this link from your Kyros MID7015.
-- FILE MANAGER
-- You're probably going to have to click on "Click Here if the download does not begin"
-- Once it's download it, install it and you're good to go.

PART 2: ROOTING YOUR TABLET--------------------

By rooting, what they mean is that you will have full control over all of the files and folders on your tablet. This is a good and a bad thing. It is good because we can add programs.
It is also bad because you can delete files that you shouldn’t…meaning you could kill your tablet if you mess around.

1. From your PC, download z4Root and copy it to your micro SD card. Z4Root can be found here:
-- [APP] z4root - xda-developers

2. Put the sd card in your Kyros, and open File Manager

3. In File Manager, Press SD card, then press z4root.x.x.x.apk (x indicates the version number), and press install.
-- Play around with it. I believe you have to press "Up" first to get to the "root" and then press SD card from the ASTRO file manager

4. Press Open

5. Z4Root will open. Press Permanent Root. Once it is done rooting, it will reboot your Kyros.

PART 3: INSTALLING CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY TO BACK UP YOUR KYROS--------------------

1. On your pc, download recovery.img and place it on the root folder of your sd card (\)
-- Recovery.img can be found here: sendspace.com vkv6yz

2. Download Terminal Emulator by clicking the link below. Again open the link from your Kyros and install it.
-- Terminal Emulator

3. Open Terminal Emulator

4. Type su and press enter. When it prompts you to give it the Super User Privilege, click "ALLOW"

5. Type flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img and press enter.
-- Make sure that you pay attention to the spaces: There's a space before and after the word recovery.

6. Type reboot recovery and press enter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NOTE (OPTIONAL): I'm not sure if this made a difference or not, but I thought I'd mention it.
** If the recovery does not reboot, go back to the Terminal Emulator, type su then type
** mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh/system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak - Again notice the space after mv
** Then type in the flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img and press enter.
** Type reboot recovery and press enter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Your Kyros tablet will reboot. Clockwork Mod Recovery will then load.
-- When Navigating through ClockworkMod Recovery, here are the keys:

Home is down
Menu is select
Back is back

8. Press the Home button until backup and restore is highlighted and press Menu.

9. Backup should already be selected. Press Menu.

10. It will now do a complete system backup. This is ESSENTIAL as it is VERY easy to play around and break your Kyros to the point that it is useless.

11. It will say “Backup complete” once the backup is done.

12. Reboot system now should be highlighted. Press Menu to reboot.

PART 4: INSTALLING GOOGLE MARKETPLACE--------------------

1. Remove your sd card and put it back in your pc. Download the file gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip and place it on the root of your sd card (\).
-- The file can be downloaded here: mediafire.com mjmmfmm0jez

2. Put the sd card back into the tablet.

3. Open the Terminal Emulator on your Kyros MID7015

4. Type su and press Enter

5. Type reboot recovery and press enter.

6. It will boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery menu.

7. Press Home until install zip from sd card is selected and press menu.

8. Press Home until choose zip from sd card is selected and press menu.

9. Press Home until gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip is selected and press Menu.

10. Press Home until Yes – Install gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip is selected and press Menu.

11. It will then install the Google Market.

12. Once the install is done, it will say Install from sd card complete.

13. Press the back button

14. Reboot system now should be highlighted. Press Menu.

15. It will reboot the Kyros. You will see a Wizard appear. Go through the Wizard

16. You now have the Android Marketplace installed on your Kyros.

I would also recommend installing the AppBrain app from the Google Market. It gives you the ability to install more apps then just the Google Market alone.

Enjoy!

>> I just took what Jason wrote and modified it so that you have the least amount of computer interaction. Hope this works for you guys like it did for me.
>> Dino Cajic

Thank you for the great guide. Just want to let everyone know that you do NOT need a usb keyboard to do it this way. Once you are in Terminal Emulator, press and hold down Menu until the touch screen keyboard pops up and type what you need with that! :)