Kyros MID-7015 and 7005 Ultimate Guide Discussion Thread

Apr 28, 2011
hi everybody, i finally upgreded from stock to 2.3
i have a few questions

1) how can i free some internal memory?
2) how can i stop applications from unnecessary opening what i mean is gmail, maps, etc always keeps on running on the background even i didnt open them up. then i used advance task killer to kill the tapps but still after a few minutes the keep on appearing

thanks!

there is an app called advanced task cleaner 2.0 which is an app killer, that allows you to auto kill apps within a set able time period. Also when your tablet turns on, alot of apps startup, and it will kill all apps from startup within 10 seconds. I used it and liked it.

Just sharing

camaroran

Jun 8, 2011
I had the same issue on Win7-32bit. First, I removed the SDK and then when I installed it, I did an "Accept All" and installed everything. Next, I pasted in the two parts of the inf file as instructed. The key was when I plugged in the unit and went into Device Manager, I right-clicked, update driver. HERE IS THE KEY -- I selected Browse for Drivers, then I chose "Let me pick..." and on the next screen I had to uncheck the box that says "Show compatible hardware" which shows more devices. Then I chose "Android ADB Interface" NOT "Android Composite ADB Interface".

Everything worked great after that. I tried the same thing before I uninstalled and reinstalled everything, so make sure you re-do the whole SDK part as I instructed.

I have been trrying to get this driver working for 2 weeks now and still haven't been able too i have tried what you did with no luck. do you have any other pointers?

helmott

Jan 25, 2012
Hi All,
(firstly I'm a noob, but i was able to get my mid7015 rooted using super-1click (zg4 didn't work)

I followed the directions for flashing recovery... I've tried ADB shell and terminal emulator but both methods show: flash_image not found
so i haven't been able to copy and move the file from the sd card. I can navigate to the file using the file manager... any ideas??? thanks for the help!!!

ylomnstr

Feb 10, 2012
Hey guys, I ordered a 7015B from geeks.com. I'm wondering how to get the market on this unit? According to their website, it comes with Android 2.3. Any guides out there for this?

BitByter

Apr 13, 2012
I too have a 7015b. I have it rooted with the superone click method. I also got the recovery.img installed. My problem starts with the gapps install, now that i have done that with cwm the unit in stuck in a boot loop reboots twice, second time back to cwm. I would assume that is because the gapps listed here are for 2.1 and i need a package for 2.33? If so does anyone have a link to the right package?

Thanks

ps

working on writing up the method that i used to get this far, would like to get the gapps working and add that to the "how to". Doesn't seem to be a method out there with a how to for the 7015b.

fandm

Aug 17, 2012
I know this thread is a bit on the old side.
I downloaded the update zip from colby, and in there instructions it says if you look in the device setting after the update.in about the device it should now show the device as 7015a.
My device shows it as a 7015 Build number mid7015 1.6a_20101124-3 is this updated.
Then I put Z4root in and run but it never finishes even leaving it for over 1 hour.
I have tried every combination there is with the root file but still no luck, is it because my device still shows 7015 or does the build number 7015 1.6a mean it is updated. I have tried all the utube video instructions but still does not work for me.
Can the 7015 be rooted with anything else.
Thanks

Timand1

Sep 30, 2012
I Still cant get clockwork to install!!! It still reboots and goes to the exclamation mark with the android symbol and when I press the back button it goes to the android recovery, not the clockwork. (FYI I re-rooted ,formatted SD card, put the files on the root of my sd card (not in a folder).
Heres what I did:
rooted with z4
went to terminal emulator typed su
(granted permission)
(# appears)
typed: mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh/system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
(USAGE: mv <source...> <destination>)
flash_image recovery/sdcard/recovery.img
(usage: flash_image partition file.img)
reboot recovery
(reboots, then exclamation android logo)
I press the back button, and then it goes to android recovery

WTF AM I DOING WRONG???!!!

I do this but the terminal says flash_image: not found after I type in the flash image line

arthur92710

Oct 29, 2012
Seems like there are a few people with the 7015 still stock so Im writing up an guide on updating the 7015 from 2.1 to 2.3.3(with root and Google Play). I hope to have it done soon, maybe even today.

arthur92710

Oct 29, 2012
Here it is. Someone please verify. It is my first guide of this type and is written from memory. As usually, I take no responsibility if something bad happens. Keep it charging while doing this.

MID 7015 2.1 to 2.3.3 with Google Play and root

Files needed:
MID-7015.rar from MID 7015 Actualizacion Android 2.3 Coby Kyros (Official Upgrade) | Gasei Blog Bottom of page

SuperOneClick 2.3.3 SuperOneClick - CNET Download.com

gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip : Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

KYROS7015GB-recovery-signed.zip(clockwork mod recovery): http://files.androtab.info/telechips/cm7/20111029/KYROS7015GB/KYROS7015GB-recovery-signed.zip

Steps:

1. Pretty much follow what this site says to get to 2.3.3. I will repeat the steps here. MID 7015 Actualizacion Android 2.3 Coby Kyros (Official Upgrade) | Gasei Blog

1. Extract all zips and rars onto your desktop.
  2. Install the drivers from MID-7015.rar. In folder MID-7015\Actualizacion upgrade Herremientas\FWDN_V7_v2.13\DRIVER You will choose depending on your computers OS.
    x64 for 64bit, x86 for 32bit. Win2K for 2000
  3. Follow along with the pictures on the other site.
  4. Run FWDN_V7_v2.13
  5. Click the three periods, top right next to “add file” (see pic)
  6. A window should come up. In the “Type” drop menu, select “All Files”
  7. Find and select lk.rom and tcc8900_mtd.img, should be in MID-7015\MID7015_android2.3.3
  8. Hit “open”, the window should close
  9. Hit “Add Files”, the table should have two lines filled.
  10. Turn off tablet
  11. Hold Home and power (on the side next to menu, NOT the silver round button on front). The Tablet should turn on saying “COBY” in the middle and some blue text on the bottom.
  12. Connect the tablet to the pc with usb cable
  13. You should have a window come up with a blue frame. (see pic)
  14. Windows should go away
  15. Press start
  16. Windows with blue box will come up. Wait until the blue turns to green. Should be around 5 min.
  17. When you see the green box, unplug the tablet.
  18. Press the small reset button on the back and hold power and home again.
  19. The Tablet should turn on saying “COBY” in the middle and some blue text on the bottom.
  20. Click the “…” again and select “NAND Data.fai”, open, add file.
  21. Connect the tablet to the pc with usb cable
  22. You should have a window come up with a blue frame again.
  23. Windows should go away
  24. Press start
  25. Windows with blue box will come up. Wait until the blue turns to green. Should be around 5 min.
  26. When you see the green box, unplug the tablet.
  27. Press the small reset button on the back.
  28. Let it boot. You should be at 2.3.3 now.

1. Root the tablet using superoneclick.
    1. Put the tablet into debugging mode, in settings.
    2. Remove SD card.
    3. Open SuperOneClick
    4. Connect tablet to pc.
    5. Hit root. Wait
    6. You might have to hit root again if it does not complete successfully.
    7. You should now be rooted and 2.3.3, but no Google Play.
    8. Check that super user app was installed.
    9. Setup your wifi connection
    10. Open superuser app, press menu, preferences, scroll down to su binary, press it. Make sure it’s up to date.
  2. Install Gapps. Two methods, this one should be the easiest.
    1. KYROS7015GB-recovery-signed.zip and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip to the root of SD card.
    2. Rename KYROS7015GB-recovery-signed.zip to update.zip
    3. Turn off tablet.
    4. Press and hold the big silver button on the front and power. It should open the recovery menu.
    5. Install update.zip from recovery. (Installs CWM 5).
    6. Exit from recovery. Boot normally and shut down again.
    7. Press and hold the big silver button on the front and power. This time it should open the CWM recovery menu.
    8. Go down to “install zip from sdcard”
    9. “choose zip from sdcard”
    10. “gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip” It will install the google apps(Google Play)
    11. Exit and reboot.
    12. When it is done booting you should see a prompt to setup your Google account and such. If you do it, everything worked.

Sources:
MID 7015 Actualizacion Android 2.3 Coby Kyros (Official Upgrade) | Gasei Blog
[APP]SuperOneClick v2.3.3 - Motorola Exploit Added! - xda-developers
Google Apps - RootzWiki
CyanogenMod for Telechips | androtab.info

tnsantos

Mar 23, 2011
Here it is. Someone please verify. It is my first guide of this type and is written from memory. As usually, I take no responsibility if something bad happens. Keep it charging while doing this.

Files needed:
MID-7015.rar from MID 7015 Actualizacion Android 2.3 Coby Kyros (Official Upgrade) | Gasei Blog Bottom of page

gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip : Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

KYROS7015GB-recovery-signed.zip(clockwork mod recovery): http://files.androtab.info/telechips/cm7/20111029/KYROS7015GB/KYROS7015GB-recovery-signed.zip

Steps:

1. Pretty much follow what this site says to get to 2.3.3. I will repeat the steps here. MID 7015 Actualizacion Android 2.3 Coby Kyros (Official Upgrade) | Gasei Blog

2. Install the drivers from MID-7015.rar. In folder MID-7015\Actualizacion upgrade Herremientas\FWDN_V7_v2.13\DRIVER You will choose depending on your computers OS.
  4. Run FWDN_V7_v2.13
  5. Click the three periods, top right next to &#8220;add file&#8221; (see pic)
  6. A window should come up. In the &#8220;Type&#8221; drop menu, select &#8220;All Files&#8221;
  7. Find and select lk.rom and tcc8900_mtd.img, should be in MID-7015\MID7015_android2.3.3
  8. Hit &#8220;open&#8221;, the window should close
  9. Hit &#8220;Add Files&#8221;, the table should have two lines filled.
  10. Turn off tablet
  11. Hold Home and power (on the side next to menu, NOT the silver round button on front). The Tablet should turn on saying &#8220;COBY&#8221; in the middle and some blue text on the bottom.
  15. Press start
  16. Windows with blue box will come up. Wait until the blue turns to green. Should be around 5 min.
  19. The Tablet should turn on saying &#8220;COBY&#8221; in the middle and some blue text on the bottom.
  20. Click the &#8220;&#8230;&#8221; again and select &#8220;NAND Data.fai&#8221;, open, add file.
  24. Press start
  25. Windows with blue box will come up. Wait until the blue turns to green. Should be around 5 min.

2. Remove SD card.
    3. Open SuperOneClick
    4. Connect tablet to pc.
    5. Hit root. Wait
    10. Open superuser app, press menu, preferences, scroll down to su binary, press it. Make sure it&#8217;s up to date.
    1. KYROS7015GB-recovery-signed.zip and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip to the root of SD card.
    3. Turn off tablet.
    4. Press and hold the big silver button on the front and power. It should open the recovery menu.
    7. Press and hold the big silver button on the front and power. This time it should open the CWM recovery menu.
    8. Go down to &#8220;install zip from sdcard&#8221;
    9. &#8220;choose zip from sdcard&#8221;
    10. &#8220;gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip&#8221; It will install the google apps(Google Play)
    11. Exit and reboot.
    12. When it is done booting you should see a prompt to setup your Google account and such. If you do it, everything worked.

Sources:
Google Apps - RootzWiki

Thanks for sharing this.

I turned on my kyros yesterday, on settings > about it says it is already 2.3.3 but there is no sign of super user app installed and still there is and very old version of market. Perhaps I could root it using superoneclick and then install cwm and flash gapps zip.

But I'm not sure if this 2.3.3 version is the same you tell to install. Is there any way of checking this out?

Edit: I rooted and installed CWM using flash_image recovery recovery.img but when I tried installing gapps-gb from your link it didn't work. Then I did a Format Data/Factory Reset from within CWM and now my tablet doesn't boot up anymore, is there any firmware I can flash using FWDN to start over again?

Thanks.

Last edited:

revvinon

Apr 7, 2013

Files needed:

Steps:

4. Run FWDN_V7_v2.13
  5. Click the three periods, top right next to &#8220;add file&#8221; (see pic)
  6. A window should come up. In the &#8220;Type&#8221; drop menu, select &#8220;All Files&#8221;
  8. Hit &#8220;open&#8221;, the window should close
  9. Hit &#8220;Add Files&#8221;, the table should have two lines filled.
  10. Turn off tablet
  11. Hold Home and power (on the side next to menu, NOT the silver round button on front). The Tablet should turn on saying &#8220;COBY&#8221; in the middle and some blue text on the bottom.
  15. Press start
  19. The Tablet should turn on saying &#8220;COBY&#8221; in the middle and some blue text on the bottom.
  20. Click the &#8220;&#8230;&#8221; again and select &#8220;NAND Data.fai&#8221;, open, add file.
  24. Press start

2. Remove SD card.
    3. Open SuperOneClick
    4. Connect tablet to pc.
    5. Hit root. Wait
    10. Open superuser app, press menu, preferences, scroll down to su binary, press it. Make sure it&#8217;s up to date.
    3. Turn off tablet.
    8. Go down to &#8220;install zip from sdcard&#8221;
    9. &#8220;choose zip from sdcard&#8221;
    10. &#8220;gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip&#8221; It will install the google apps(Google Play)
    11. Exit and reboot.

Sources:
Google Apps - RootzWiki

I got everything to work up to installing google apps...the CWM-based recovery v5.0.2.7 doesn't seem to be responding correctly...everytime I try selecting an action it just goes blank and the menu comes back up. What should I do now? I can reset the tablet to get out of this loop, but I would still like to get google apps loaded...

Thanks!

Edit: Ahhh....seemed to be a navigational error on behalf of operator...:confused: the menu button moved through the menu, HOME selected instead of the silver button on front of tablet. Looks now like I have the google apps on there, just need to set up the account...

Last edited: