Kyros MID-7015 and 7005 Ultimate Guide Discussion Thread

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
Try this:

Thanks to lschroeder from another forum...

--

To make ClockworkMod stick do this fix from terminal emulator.

su
(Accept Super User status if Dialog appears)
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

From ClockworkMod Recovery (use the default option and press menu button)
- reboot system now

Good Luck...........

Thanks for the help! I did finally get clockwork to stick on all three Coby 7015's i bought for our kids. I reformatted and redownloaded all the files - something must have been corrupted somehow. So all three units are rooted, running the newest (modified) firmware and have the gapps/market fix installed. Prolly as good as it's gonna get for a while unless someone comes out with a true 2.2 rom or Coby surprises with a 2.2 firmware update.

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
Thanks for the help! I did finally get clockwork to stick on all three Coby 7015's i bought for our kids. I reformatted and redownloaded all the files - something must have been corrupted somehow. So all three units are rooted, running the newest (modified) firmware and have the gapps/market fix installed. Prolly as good as it's gonna get for a while unless someone comes out with a true 2.2 rom or Coby surprises with a 2.2 firmware update.

Did you apply the update before or after rooting?

Bill

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
Did you apply the update before or after rooting?

Bill

I rooted first. Since I used the modifidied update I needed to use clockwork to install it. Regular firmware update from Coby of course that is not necessary.

1) DL file manager and then root with Z4.

2) I then DL'd terminal emulator and used that to load clockwork mod.

3) From clockwork I installed the modified firmware update.

4) From clockwork I installed the gapps/market fix.

5) After getting full market I started loading all my root apps (autokiller, cachemate, etc).

It's an improved unit after applying all these updates/fixes. Would love if it had 2.2 for flash based games for our kids those. They will have to get by with the many games available for free from market I guess. :)

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
I am still having the same problem as others. I can not get the winusbcoinstaller.dll file to be found, an no matter how many times I download installed and available packages, I still can't find it. Please help.

1) root with z4, dl terminal emulator w appslib with terminal emulator run from the soft keyboard on the coby to type in the code below to get to clockwork. You must be rooted to do this.
2) with terminal emulator type:

su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

This is finally what worked for me to get into clockwork. After getting clockwork to load I did the backup first, then loaded the modified update firmware and then finally loaded the gapps/market fix. I did this on 3 separate Coby 7015's so I know it works. I could never get SDK to run on my win 7 laptop tho.

secosteve

Dec 19, 2010
Thanks for the reply tee. I'm pretty sure I am rooted. I was having all kinds of difficulty getting it rooted. Is there a way to see if it is indeed rooted? Also when I did try to tun clockwork with the terminal emulator app, the "su" command worked fine, but the second command gave a message that said it couldn't find it. I may have not gotten it onto the SDcard sucessfully. This may sound ridiculous, but could you give me some instructions on how to get it onto the SDcard properly?

Thanks for your time

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
I rooted first. Since I used the modifidied update I needed to use clockwork to install it. Regular firmware update from Coby of course that is not necessary.

1) DL file manager and then root with Z4.

2) I then DL'd terminal emulator and used that to load clockwork mod.

3) From clockwork I installed the modified firmware update.

4) From clockwork I installed the gapps/market fix.

5) After getting full market I started loading all my root apps (autokiller, cachemate, etc).

It's an improved unit after applying all these updates/fixes. Would love if it had 2.2 for flash based games for our kids those. They will have to get by with the many games available for free from market I guess. :)
I googled and found the modified zip. The directions are a little convoluted but I'll work on that later. There is something about keeping clockwork. I'll have to check that.

Bill

Last edited:

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for the reply tee. I'm pretty sure I am rooted. I was having all kinds of difficulty getting it rooted. Is there a way to see if it is indeed rooted? Also when I did try to tun clockwork with the terminal emulator app, the "su" command worked fine, but the second command gave a message that said it couldn't find it. I may have not gotten it onto the SDcard sucessfully. This may sound ridiculous, but could you give me some instructions on how to get it onto the SDcard properly?

Thanks for your time

If you are able to use Terminal Emulator then you have to be rooted. Do you have superuser in your app drawer? Rooting was super easy for me - I have the APK for Z4 on my pc, transfer that to my sd card, then use a file manager on the coby to install Z4. Rooting took less than 30 seconds, it auto reboots and you should be perm rooted (if you hit the perm root option).

My suggestion is that you completely format your SD card, then insert you sd card into your pc and copy the file over to your SD card. I made sure and hit the "remove hardware" button on my PC so I didn't corrupt the file while removing the sd card. Alternatively, you could leave the SD card in your coby and use the included USB cord to mount the coby to your PC. If you choose this option make sure and allow usb debugging on the coby. Also allow the external mount so that your PC can see the sd card in the Coby. After the file is loaded onto the SD, Pop it into the Coby and follow the exact instructions I posted using terminal emulator. Type the commands exactly as I listed them above. It reboot into clockwork, which will have green script and more options. Once in clockwork, backup your Coby first (backup option) to your SD, then go ahead and install other files. Personally I recommend installing the modified firmware first, then installing the gapps/market fix zip. At least thats what I did. It worked on the three Coby 7015's I have. Good luck!

Nextasy

Dec 20, 2010
Hy guyzs,

For those of you that have installed this software (clockworkMod Recovery )on your tablets i just want to know if it is safe to install on the device ?: Asking because when you want to install it ask to choose Phone Model and as far i can see the tablet model (whatever model) is not listed on the the choices list. Which one can i choose or it does not matter?

Thx

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
Hy guyzs,

For those of you that have installed this software (clockworkMod Recovery )on your tablets i just want to know if it is safe to install on the device ?: Asking because when you want to install it ask to choose Phone Model and as far i can see the tablet model (whatever model) is not listed on the the choices list. Which one can i choose or it does not matter?
Thx
The first post has the instructions for installing clockwork. Do not use rom manager.

drummrx

Dec 20, 2010
Thank you so much for doing the work on this post. I had a little issue getting market to work but it was mainly learning where everything is in the SDK.

For those who are not able to fnd the USB drivers, they are in the folder Google USB Drivers. You have to install this set in the additional section of the sdk installer.

Roberockz

Dec 20, 2010
Im up to installing clockwork mod and at the command prompt, Its showing device offline.. i tried the "kill and Start server" and tried it again, but its still showilg device offline...Help please????

Nextasy

Dec 20, 2010
The first post has the instructions for installing clockwork. Do not use rom manager.

Well i followed the instruction on page one and after entering the command "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" i got an error return that the path cannot be found...
I tried others syntax but same error.

Any help please?

Dec 13, 2010
I am still having the same problem as others. I can not get the winusbcoinstaller.dll file to be found, an no matter how many times I download installed and available packages, I still can't find it. Please help.

hey secosteve i just renamed mine to winusbcoinstaller.dll. all mine in the google-usb_driver > i386 & amd64 folder were winusbcoinstaller1.dll.

Dec 13, 2010
Well i followed the instruction on page one and after entering the command "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" i got an error return that the path cannot be found...
I tried others syntax but same error.

Any help please?

man I was getting this error and had no idea how I finally got it to work. After 2 1/2 weeks of messing with this I finally got android Market to work. I got stuck on this step on installing google marketplace: 6. Type adb reboot recovery and press enter. 7. It will boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery menu.

the menu would only see update.zip for some reason I just kept trying different things and the finaly time it went to ClockworkMod Recovery menu it finally let me physically choose the gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip then installed it and then reset my Kyros.

once I reset it this little android menu came up and told me to press on him. And after this you sign into your google email. its ok if you dont have a wifi point you can sign into it later like I had to when i got home. once i connected to my wifi at homw, signed into gmail, market worked. I was stunned that this finally worked. It was by a freakin Christmas miracle i got it up and running. Installed angry birds and nook for android to test apps and they worked.