Kyros MID1024 arrived today...

scottfish

May 25, 2011
I opened it up after work. It came fully charged, so I have played with it a little while configuring.

IMMEDIATE FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

- On screen images get that oily/shiny look at certain angles, although the Coby intro video played w/o any issues. During video playback, that shiny effect did not seem evident

- Hardware buttons are indeed very sensitive. On a couple of occasions I hit the back button while trying to input text. This is something that will be gotten used to.

- It's big. Not unwieldy big, but big. In comparison to the iPad2, it definitely feels a little more cumbersome. It's just shy of 11 inches tall. My plan of making a sweet Lifehacker style Moleskin cover just got squashed.

- As far as fit and finish go, I am a little torn. On one hand, it definitely feels like a budget device. On the other hand though, I expected it to feel like much more of a budget device. There's definitely some give and some creaking when squeezed. The Nook Color has similar styling but feels a bit more solid (aside from the SD card door).

- As stated by anyone who has used the x024 devices, the camera is really not much to speak of, but for videoconferencing it will certainly serve its purpose.

- I immediately put the Amazon store on there and will be backing up the .apk's from my phone to carry over. I am unsure I even need to install the Google market at this point.

IMG_2990.jpg

I'll have more thoughts and observations once I play around some more.

At this point it is too early for a verdict of any sort.

scottfish

May 25, 2011
Upon further playing with it, video playback was solid. I played the same file on iPad2, HTC Evo 4g and the Kyros 1024. Kyros definitely came in third, but had it been sitting on it's own, I would not have complained about the video quality. Additionally, the file I played was an encode done specifically for Apple products (iPad and AppleTV), so it may have had an unfair bias in filetype as well. I plan on doing a few test encodes to see if I can get better quality out of the Coby.

I knew the Coby had an onboard mic, but was hoping I could use either a phone headset w/ mic or a USB headset via the mini-USB to USB adapter. Both such attempts failed. The built-in mic however does offer very exceptional sound for being well... a built-in mic.

Side loading apps was very easy after backing up my Evo's apps w/ Astro and copying the .apk's to my SD card. I did find issues w/ trying to install Beautiful Widgets themes. This is probably the first symptom of me NEEDING to install Google Market/Framework/etc...

If anyone has specific questions about the 1024, let me know.

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Congrats on the tablet my man. I just go the 7022. I dunno about the the 1024 but something I installed seemed to slow my internet down with the googleframework. Just a heads up.

colnago

May 18, 2011
Not sure about the problems you had with the USB mic, but someone recently had problems with a USB keyboard. They had to change the USB configuration from "computer", to "device" (sorry, don't remember the details, but you can probably find it fairly easily in the Coby Gen 2 forum).

Hope this helps,

Joseph

scottfish

May 25, 2011
Not sure about the problems you had with the USB mic, but someone recently had problems with a USB keyboard. They had to change the USB configuration from "computer", to "device" (sorry, don't remember the details, but you can probably find it fairly easily in the Coby Gen 2 forum).

Hope this helps,

Joseph

thanks Joseph. I wouldn't necessarily call it a problem. I was trying to use the device outside of its intended use and it didn't work.

I tried switching USB mode, but it didn't do anything to help.

This is a real solid device for the price point. Not sure how much I actually NEED it though. I may sell it.

Since I got it on the super duper cheap, I will unload it fairly inexpensively as well.

If anyone reading this has interest, drop me a PM.

---EDIT---
This item has hit ebay already. It's not quite what I need in an extra tablet.

---EDIT AGAIN---
Item sold on Ebay.

Last edited:

dyurdz

Jun 27, 2011
I also have to 1024, I tried to root it using several methods but nothing seemed to work. I was wondering if there is a custom rom for this but then again, being able to root this device will e ok for now. I hope anybody can find a way to root.

dirge

Jul 10, 2011
I also have to 1024, I tried to root it using several methods but nothing seemed to work. I was wondering if there is a custom rom for this but then again, being able to root this device will e ok for now. I hope anybody can find a way to root.

Hi,

I managed to do it using something very similar to (but simpler than) the sticky thread "How to Root MID7024" using the latest SuperOneClick files:

adb push Exploits/psneuter /data/local/tmp/
adb push Root/su-v2 /data/local/tmp/su

adb install Root/Superuser.apk

adb shell
$ chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/psneuter
$ /data/local/tmp/psneuter
property service neutered.
killing adbd. (should restart in a second or two)

adb shell
# cp /data/local/tmp/su /system/bin
# chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
# exit
$ exit

(power cycle the tablet)

I'm posting this here instead of a separate thread because this hasn't been verified yet... like you, I tried several combinations and tricks first and I don't know for sure if some other thing I did previously helped to get me root. If you try this, please let us know.

HTH!

Zbika

Aug 7, 2011
Hi,

I managed to do it using something very similar to (but simpler than) the sticky thread "How to Root MID7024" using the latest SuperOneClick files:

adb push Exploits/psneuter /data/local/tmp/
adb push Root/su-v2 /data/local/tmp/su

adb install Root/Superuser.apk

adb shell
$ chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/psneuter
$ /data/local/tmp/psneuter
property service neutered.
killing adbd. (should restart in a second or two)

adb shell
# cp /data/local/tmp/su /system/bin
# chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
# exit
$ exit

(power cycle the tablet)

I'm posting this here instead of a separate thread because this hasn't been verified yet... like you, I tried several combinations and tricks first and I don't know for sure if some other thing I did previously helped to get me root. If you try this, please let us know.

HTH!

Thank you! This worked for my 1024. I had to goof with directories to get it to work, but finally it went through. My biggest problem was finding usb drivers : / google usb wasn't working. Had to end up using ones packaged with PDAnet.
I did try with the 7024 guide, but that was failing on //chmod 777 psneuter//chmod 777 su//

Assuming this is a model specific.

Anyways, thanks again, we should probably have both definitive ways posted in a sticky.

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
If anyone has specific questions about the 1024, let me know.

Thanks for your posts. Out of curiosity, how is the touch screen on your unit? My MID8024 is almost unusable for typing, far worse than the previous resistive touch screen I owned (which was on a cheaper unit, if you can believe that). Your thoughts on the MID1024 touch screen, specifically on typing, would be great. Thanks.

Zbika

Aug 7, 2011
Thanks for your posts. Out of curiosity, how is the touch screen on your unit? My MID8024 is almost unusable for typing, far worse than the previous resistive touch screen I owned (which was on a cheaper unit, if you can believe that). Your thoughts on the MID1024 touch screen, specifically on typing, would be great. Thanks.

Capacitive screen works really well. No problem with typing. I did have swype installed, but I actually prefer typing on the tablet.

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
Ah, I didnt realize the 10 was capacitive. cool!

Sent from my MID8024 using Android Tablet Forum

dirge

Jul 10, 2011
Thank you! This worked for my 1024. I had to goof with directories to get it to work, but finally it went through. My biggest problem was finding usb drivers : / google usb wasn't working. Had to end up using ones packaged with PDAnet.
I did try with the 7024 guide, but that was failing on //chmod 777 psneuter//chmod 777 su//

Assuming this is a model specific.

Anyways, thanks again, we should probably have both definitive ways posted in a sticky.

That's good to know! Did you note down how you "goof(ed) with directories"? Like I mentioned, I may have forgotten (or dismissed) a few steps that were actually required.