Kyros MID1024 Owners - Read This Before Flashing Any ROM!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Some MID104 tablets have a 1025_v4 board. This board is not compatible with the firmware available for this model of Kyros, neither the official nor custom ones. If you try to flash these ROMs there is a high possibility that it will hard brick your tablet!

How do you know which model of board you have? Restart the tablet and soon after that unlock screen appears, run one of the following commands (either one):

- With adb
Code:
adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt

- With Terminal Emulator:
Code:
dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt

Use the commands without the quotes, of course! In the first case, a txt file is generated in the same folder as adb. In the second one, the file will be in the folder sdcard. If you do not know what adb or SDK are, use the second method. Simply download the free Terminal Emulator, available in both AppsLib and the Android Market.

Open the text file and look for the following lines:

1025_v4
Code:
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: ubi.mtd=4 root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs init=/init console=ttySAC0,115200  lcd=lp101wh1 camera=hi704 lun=2 umsvendor=coby umsproduct= mod=5 man=coby bltype=n
[    6.641677] Goodix-TS 1-0055:  Guitar Version: GT801NI_0R01_211

1024n
Code:
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: ubi.mtd=4 root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs init=/init console=ttySAC0,115200  lcd=lp101 camera=hi704 lun=2 umsvendor=coby umsproduct= mod=5 man=coby bltype=n
[    6.047009] Goodix-TS 1-0055:  Guitar Version: GT801NI_3R12_159

The numbers in brackets do not matter, what matters are the following data in these lines:

1025_v4
lcd = lp101wh1
GT801NI_0R01_211

1024n
lcd = lp101
GT801NI_3R12_159

If you have a 1024n board, you should be able to flash any ROM available so far for MID1024. Of course, it's not 100% guaranteed. It will void your warranty, and if you do any mistakes or the tablet has a defect/malfunction, it may brick. Proceed at your own!

If you have a 1025_v4 board, I was able to build a custom restore firmware with a few additions features with the great help from forum users steev and fbox. It can be found here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...cfw-restore-firmware-1025_v4-froyo-2-2-a.html

If any of the codes doesn't match then maybe you have a 3rd model, or if lcd is the same as 1024n and your touchscreen is really multi-touch (3 or more simultaneous touches using a test application like Android System Info), then maybe your tablet is compatible with CFWs for 1024n. If you install, please report the results here. Thanks.

Last edited:

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
LFom I found first line but not the second line starting with 6. however later down it shows warning that ipv6 privacy settings are disabled and an additional warning that wpa_supplicant is using 32 bit capabilities

are those relevant issues and do you know how to fix?

btw my board is 1024N

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
I don't know if this has already been done before, but I have gotten my MID7024 to successfully boot a firmware from the external SD.

The NAND and internal SD are untouched.
Could be a safe way for people to try out CFW's.

too tired to post all the details right now :p I'll post them after I get some sleep

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I don't know if this has already been done before, but I have gotten my MID7024 to successfully boot a firmware from the external SD.

The NAND and internal SD are untouched.
Could be a safe way for people to try out CFW's.

too tired to post all the details right now :p I'll post them after I get some sleep

I've tried that already... The problem is that there are working u-boot-sd.bin, u-boot.arg and set_bootargs for 7024 (that seems to work for 8024 too BTW), but any modified 7024 u-boot for 1024 seems to brick the tablet. Coby's firmware for 1024 comes only with u-boot.bin. Dunno if it's why 1024 didn't boot directly from SD, but I think it's probably a 7024 only feature (haven't seen any other x024 tablets booting from SD without the NAND trick). :(

Last edited:

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
I'm not using any u-boot-sd files, I'm using the bootloader that's already on the NAND.

I just created 4 partitions on my extsd (sdcard, cache, data, rootfs) and manually installed the Alldro2 firmware to it.
Then I copied zImage and a modified utscript to the sdcard partition.

The modified utscript doesn't flash anything. It just loads the zImage into RAM, sets the boot parameters (with root=/dev/mmcblk1p4 rootfstype=ext4), and boots the kernel.

The system gets booted when you activate the mid upgrade system

Attachments

• $utscript.zip
    442 bytes · Views: 594

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Ohhhh, I see now! Man, you are the script master indeed!

So you manually install OS to the SD then use the modified utscript to boot it, right?

I think I got everything, except: how to manually install the firmware to the SD card?

And, it's not for releases, but for developers to test their own cooked ROMs, right?

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Ohhhh, I see now! Man, you are the script master indeed!

So you manually install OS to the SD then use the modified utscript to boot it, right?

I think I got everything, except: how to manually install the firmware to the SD card?

And, it's not for releases, but for developers to test their own cooked ROMs, right?

The manual installation is kind of a pain and slightly different for each firmware.
Also it probably requires Linux

Basically I just mounted the rootfs partition
untarred utv210_root.tgz to it
copied customer/* and utmodules to it
untarred each patch.tgz and appended the text from all the ".append" files
then I edited init.rc and replaced all occurrences of "mmc0" with "mmc1"
then I edited system/etc/vold.fstab to look like this:
Code:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2
#dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2
dev_mount udisk /mnt/udisk auto /devices/platform/s5p-ehci/usb1
Then I mounted the sdcard partition and copied zImage and my utscript to it.

Maybe this can be used to boot an ARM-based Linux distro on our tablets.
I'm going to try to get armedslack running on mine.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
We need u-boot.bin for 1025_b4 boards... Anyone with one of these willing to help? Also, how to retrieve u-boot from NAND?

Fbox

Oct 17, 2011
We need u-boot.bin for 1025_b4 boards... Anyone with one of these willing to help? Also, how to retrieve u-boot from NAND?

I'm here to help... Just tell me how can I extract this file from my 1024...

mharckk

Dec 4, 2011
hi i found this:
lcd = lp101

but i have a different one this:
it says Goodix-TS 1-0055: Guitar Version: GT81NXNI_1R05_18B

and on the settings it says on model number is mid1024n

and the build number is MID Serials 2.3 Gingerbread 20110916.085752

do i still need to install this cfw? or not?

anyway its a COBY KYROS MID1024-4G

hoping for your response.

thanks in advance

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
You already have Gingerbread so you don't need to, by the other hand I cannot say a CFW will work for you since your board may not be a 1024n one.

On Gingerbread, the board model usually is displayed close to the goodix drivers string, in another line... I am curious: do you see it? What is displayed?

Last edited: